Why are most forums so negative?

I have been on numerous LEGO related sites lately just browsing and all I see from members in the forums is complaining. Complaints from everything from prices of LEGO sets to arguments of why someone likes a set. I struggle to find how this is productive in a forum setting. I am soooo glad that this site is not that way. It is awesome that the members here can voice their opinion without being ridiculed. Thanks to all the members here for always being helpful and courteous. Other sites should use this one as a "role model" lol

Sometimes the complaints are justified, especially unfairly priced global markets. Also, lacklustre lines such as the 2013 Star Wars line needs to be pointed out, so Lego can hear. After that, they need to be punished with low sales figures, so they can hear some more, this garbage is not what we want! Only then, will they focus their efforts on what the people want, like a UCS Sandcrawler. Then, those lacklustre sets will be forced to go on clearance, whereby people like us can vulture in and sweep them up for sensible prices. It's all a complicated game of market manipulation. But hey, we benefit both ways right?

I was talking more specifically about people fighting amonst themselves in the forums, with that said I also think that if you do not like what TLG is doing feel free to invest in/collect other items. No one is holding a gun to your head making you buy LEGO sets. it all just seems counterproductive to me, just my opinion of course

I dont know about the city theme but overall I see where you are getting at.

I think he's referring to the Police sets. Still wonder how they manage to catch criminals without guns? Do the cops just run the crooks ass over with their vehicles?

And that's why I love "FRIENDS". *rawr*

Yeah, me too! Har har!

But back to the original topic, I am glad that here we can 'agree to disagree'. I hate forums where it's filled with wall to wall 'flamewars' just because someone disagrees (or the way they disagree). As much as I like youtube, I can not read those comments! Even on clips where it's say a baby laughing, you'll find some of the most hateful or just plain wierd comments on the planet! Come on, it's a child for crying out loud! What the heck is wrong with you?!

So I agree, I feel very comfortable here and, regardless of difference in opinion, we can get along. "Can't we all just get along?" Heh heh.

Jeff and I are experienced XBOX 360 forum members and we were the best trolls around. We like to have fun, don't mind an off topic conversations and know when someone is being a tool. This is a LEGO investment forum, so there shouldn't be too much negativity in this forum like competitive video game forums have. That being said, criticism is welcome as long as it is tasteful and constructive. People can disagree with one another, but will also respect one another. If members get out of line, Jeff and I will take care of it. We like to keep a positive outlook on things. Everyone must remember this is a "LEGO" forum, not a political or sports forum. If someone gets "froggy," let us know.

I think he's referring to the Police sets. Still wonder how they manage to catch criminals without guns? Do the cops just run the crooks ass over with their vehicles?

Indeed, sir. I was looking forward to the new City-themed game, then I found out it was on Wii only :(

I haven't touched City sets in a long time, but I think cops these day have tonfas/batons and handcuffs?

I was looking forward to the new City-themed game, then I found out it was on Wii only :(

The new "LEGO CITY - Undercover" is a Wii-exclusive? Greeeaat, nice job alienating the rest of us, LEGO. Makes little sense because just about all of the other recent LEGO games have been multi-platform. Heck, I could play the "LEGO Harry Potter" on my pc if I wanted to (which feels weird playing a console game on the computer).

Other sites should use this one as a "role model" lol

Hahahaha.....wishful thinking.

Most web forums are contentious places with lots of fighting and bickering among members and plenty of people shouting down others with differing opinions and the inevitable attempt to prove "mine's bigger than yours!"

Most web forums are contentious places with lots of fighting and bickering among members and plenty of people shouting down others with differing opinions and the inevitable attempt to prove "mine's bigger than yours!"

I enjoy an occasional topic that stirs the pot, but I really don't want people to be intimidated by some "blowhards" that exist in other forums. I want all types of people to ask questions and chime in comments. There are no "experts" in the world of LEGO investing, just more experienced members. Regardless of your experience, this should be fun...it's LEGO bricks dammit! LOL

I enjoy an occasional topic that stirs the pot

Most definitely, sir. It's always good to have some manner of debate in a mature, professional manner.

In fact, I appreciate that not everything is on the light side of the force here. We even discuss dark arts as how to diabolically exploit retail systems to change damaged boxes. Good balance.

As with any environment, when you get enough people involved, there will be those with bad attitudes, nasty comments, etc. My experience with this site so far has been that it is full of intelligent and amicable people. Some people no doubt read comments from someone who called us "part time eBay sellers, full time idiots," but it is very easy to shrug that off when the other 99.9% of the people are cool. Keep up the good work everyone! :)

As with any environment, when you get enough people involved, there will be those with bad attitudes, nasty comments, etc. My experience with this site so far has been that it is full of intelligent and amicable people. Some people no doubt read comments from someone who called us "part time eBay sellers, full time idiots," but it is very easy to shrug that off when the other 99.9% of the people are cool. Keep up the good work everyone! :)

Sometimes intelligent people have brain farts and say silly things. I addressed that particular issue and will not stand for that kind of nonsense. As stated earlier, Jeff and I like to keep it loose and fun, but we are experienced forum trolls and know all the tricks. People must remember that we are discussing LEGO bricks, not politics, and there is no reason to attack people. Spirited debate is great and fantastic for the site, but respect of others views, even if different than another persons, is a must.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been on numerous LEGO related sites lately just browsing and all I see from members in the forums is complaining. Complaints from everything from prices of LEGO sets to arguments of why someone likes a set. I struggle to find how this is productive in a forum setting. I am soooo glad that this site is not that way. It is awesome that the members here can voice their opinion without being ridiculed. Thanks to all the members here for always being helpful and courteous. Other sites should use this one as a "role model" lol

I hear what you are saying friend. Some people just like to argue and be jerks. I prefer the comments I read to be positive and if people have something negative to say about Lego in general they shouldn't just complain to the wind, contact Lego. It's not as though anyone in the forum can help you anyways. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, it's a good rule some people need to reflect on. I've bounced around between different forums so I'm hoping all the Lego lover/haters don't ruin it for me.

I enjoy an occasional topic that stirs the pot, but I really don't want people to be intimidated by some "blowhards" that exist in other forums. I want all types of people to ask questions and chime in comments. There are no "experts" in the world of LEGO investing, just more experienced members. Regardless of your experience, this should be fun...it's LEGO bricks dammit! LOL

Which is exactly why I love this forum. I have lurked the others for some time, but would not dare throw my opinion out there because I am relatively new to the game and my knowledge on the LEGO topic is sub par compared to most. I don't feel that "hang up" here.

Agreed. I don't know much about the investing side of collecting Lego's yet. That's why I joined the site. However, I feel like buy and enjoy what you like and if it appreciates in value great. That was a bit off forum topic. My point in regards to the forum topic is that even though I know little in regards to the point of this site, I have felt comfortable chiming in on some threads here and there. Very fun site and everybody so far seems very friendly. I'm happy to be a member.