City 2014

Noodlenut

Its finally a nice looking theme that can operate on its own..... If you buy all the sets you can build a nice Arctic ''village'' or research compound and make a great scene.....

The only thing thats missing is the option to change Helicopter into passanger version since I prefer it over the supply plane.....

Another thing missing is a little more snow to decorate the surroundings....

This new arctic theme is cool but I don't see an obvious winner for investing (maybe the arctic base or the icebreaker, but I'm not sure, these sets still have some flaws IMO).

Well.... The Arctic helicrane looks really good, so does the base..... the ship I do not care for..... but these 2 sets mentioned before really stand out... also the set that has movable outpost.... Just need to see interior :P

I think they are nice.... but I am biased, because i enjoyed The Thing long ago, and I keep seeing a LEGO version scene to meake it out of these sets :P

• 5 weeks later...

Hello

Arctic: we have it already in Europe, soon to be expected in the US!!

So I'm looking at arctic and just don't understand why TLG launched this subtheme.  :dontknow:

1. The sets don't seem to fit in. Not a modular, not really a city set, no "real" aircrafts, no monster issue, no trains... not even a Yeti! Just some strange looking block of ice.

2. lots of orange pieces - who hasn't got too many orange already?

3. Some sets look overpriced. Maybe the 19.99$ helicopter is fine thanks to the dogs??

4. Part out bricks don't look that attractive nor do the minifigs

5. What next? No way they can make a follow-up on this theme? Polar is just too mono-colored.

Is this a passion of Scandinavia? To have snow/ice and rescue stories?

So please help me!  :help:

1/ why would you invest? And how much as % of your yearly budget?

2/ how and when you plant to sell?

3/ what are the +sses I should take into account?

For the record. There was a blog recently

http://blog.brickpicker.com/arctic-sub-theme-worth-cold-hard-cash/

It didn't come with a clear cut BUY nor STAY AWAY conclusion. 

Your educated views?

I plan to stay away unless I get a real sweet deal (> -40% MSRP)

Thanks in advance guys. 

I think the artic sets are pretty nice looking, I just find it odd that they're put in the city theme.  Seems like they could be their own theme, like Science and Exploration, where they can put these, space sets (space shuttle, not sci fi), divers, etc.

The sets are unique and have nice pieces and figs, so I can see them being decent investments.  I'll probably buy in if the discount is good enough.  I like the Ice Breaker the best.

In any event the sets are brand new, so for now I'd stick with Arctic Batman ;)

An odd question considering the two subjects are completely different beasts as it were. Arctic Batman has disappeared from store shelves but still available online and has not been retired yet while the Arctic theme of City was just released. Even if both had come out at the same time, I would think the Arctic Batman set is a better all-around investment for being a really good $20 set featuring three exclusive minifigures. I don't know about sharing Wolverine's Chopper performance but still fairly well in the end.

As for the Arctic sets, it is one of those unique areas City does not venture off into often and some of the original sets from 2000 sold nicely on Bricklink (the few that have anyway). These current offerings may seem a smidge overpriced with a couple being not so great but not too bad altogether. On a side note, people may not know that the dark markings on the new Husky randomly vary from one to another which to me makes them more realistic.

lots of orange pieces - who hasn't got too many orange already?

Honestly I wish there were more sets making orange pieces readily available and better diversify the selection of part types as offhand I can recall barely a handful of mainly orange colored sets over the years.

For the record. There was a blog recently

http://blog.brickpicker.com/arctic-sub-theme-worth-cold-hard-cash/

Not much in life is a simple "do or don't" scenario. We can state our opinions mixed in with some numbers and facts on the subject in question but still the choice is left up to you what to do. Besides, no one knows with 100% certainty how something will go; maybe closer to 87.6%. Haha.

I think the artic sets are pretty nice looking, I just find it odd that they're put in the city theme. Seems like they could be their own theme, like Science and Exploration, where they can put these, space sets (space shuttle, not sci fi), divers, etc.

The original Arctic sets back in 2000 was in its own theme but now that Lego has condensed everything down to specific categories, things like Arctic will just be lumped in with all the other City stuff. On the bright side, if Target for example has a sale on all City sets then that would include the Arctic sets as well.

Because this theme is nice (adorable little guys riding fun orange vehicules and some cool machines, with cute animals around), but that's it.

It's a little serious that's why there's no cave with a yeti inside.

I don't think it will become neither a loser nor a winner.

40% off as you suggest is ok (well, it is for a lot of lego sets...).

My opinion about the sets:

60032: Arctic Snowmobile : sweet, just too bad a huskie isn't included

60033: Arctic Ice Crawler : meh

60034: Arctic Helicrane : a good one (nice helicopter AND a bunch of cute huskies ! they can be used in the winter village...)

60035: Arctic Outpost : a little expensive but ok otherwise (the "wagon" has no wheels and that's unusual)

60036: Arctic Base Camp : the driller seems really great but the rest is not so fancy. Huskies and a polar bear are great.

60062: Arctic Icebreaker : I don't know...

60064: Arctic Supply Plane : again, too expensive for what it shows. Will certainly be highly discounted as the [60021: Cargo Heliplane] was

Overall I would only consider the biggest sets (as usual) and the sets which have polar animals included (can be uncluded in some "mountain" or "snowy" themes, like the winter village).

Thanks already for your input. 

I agree with most of it.

A/ Obviously comparing a batman set with Arctic is hard, but the main idea was to get an impression on how popular Arctic could be longer term.

B/ As you might know, some of the sets have been introduced already with a nice discount in Europe from the beginning (Heliplane, Base camp), so there's a natural trend in the market to reprice sets that might be a little overpriced by TLG @ MSRP I think. 

C/ My remark on the orange pieces was based on anecdotal evidence from Bricklink: most pieces are widely available and not expensive at all. 

Some are newer and a little more expensive, but orange has become a classic City color and is present in the "basic building boxes". That is at least my impression. 

D/ I didn't know about the huskies and their random patterns. They do fit well with the Winter Village theme indeed!

>> Any other additional ideas are welcome!

E/ As a sidenote, I did a check on previous arctic sets to get an indication of the expected resale price after EOL:

2000:

Arctic Expedition 6573 (111 parts): Similar 'City' set-up with the ice cubes.

> Very little interest in the aftermarket and prices flat at 45$ for a new set, 14$ for a used one.

1986: Both sets from that year are technic with a 'CREATOR avant la lettre' aspect (different builts)

Arctic Rescue Unit 8660 (385 parts): 120$ new, 45$ used with quite some interest & deals over the last months. 

Arctic Rescue Base 8680 (523 parts): second of 2 Technic sets -> 170$ new, 113$ used barely any interest recently

This data isn't very exciting. Obviously technic sets are in a different zone, but maybe price on the small set from 2000 is an indication? 

My temporarly conclusion:

1.Wait for some serious discounts before getting involved (in a couple of years)

2. Buy some 2$ huskies on BL  :santa:  (polar bear at 10$ looks a little expensive)

Extra: my girls show no interest. The boys I see in the toy stores want Star Wars, fire stations and LoTr sets.

Regards

My 6-year-old started Lego with some random City sets... a few trucks at first, and then his first "big" set: The Mine. Then he saw Star Wars, it's been all SW, all the time (he's actually ready to sell his Mine).  But lately... the new Arctic sets have caught his eye.  (Maybe because there hasn't been much new in SW lately?) He likes the bigger sets, and he's particularly interested in the ice "crystals".

(...)

Errrrr I don't think this can be used as a reference because these are from old city/town theme and unlicenced.

(seriously, "1986" ?  Who cares about such vintage sets, except guys who want to have the toys they played with when they were kids ? ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

More Police sets have been added and although I'm not in city stuff, I have to admit that the 60046 above and the 60048 below have really nice hideouts, even if these are too small.

60048:

lego-610.jpg

As the Brick Show stated, these two sets have some good playability and for about the same price a good alternative to the Police station.

• 3 months later...

Any opinions about the 60062 Arctic Icebreaker? I really like this set. It is not widely available. Thoughts investingwise?

They are flipping at $180-$190 right now.  There have been ways to get these down to $90-$100.  Investing?  I don't think so.  Like exciter1 said in another thread, this probably won't ever be worth this much again (or maybe not until it's long EOL).  Flipping this set right now, if you can get the entry point down to the $100 level, is good for business.

Agreed, its just hot right now for a number of reasons mainly being the flip from LEGO to TRU Exclusive.  The stores didn't get them in so stock dwindled and TRU had them up until that last coupon and every store in the area sold out that day.  They all had 4-6 or more on Weds so lots of BP went after it.

It is a very cool set overall but still will go back to reality once restocked after the holidays.

CITY Snow Plow was a huge early release hit too.  Sold almost 15 of those for $40.  Perfect timing for a city set though, winter, snowstorms, and Xmas