9395 - Pick-Up Tow Truck

kunfuzd

I like it, but I am on a bit of a Technic kick lately. The CAGR on the whole series is just pretty solid, anytime you can get them at a discount, I like them for diversification purposes. The Rescue Helicopter deal on Amazon.uk recently is another one I liked.

I'm soooo tempted to pick up a few Rescue Helicopters on the same deal. I picked up a couple already for about the same a while back, but I hope to get a few more next year.  That's another great looking set and I've never put together a Technic set yet to date.  I also hope to get a few of those Formula 1 cars, but that's also a 2014 purchase.

• 1 month later...

I've been technic nut for years now.  Generally speaking flagship sets in technic line do fairly well, but you have to remember that That technic audience by and large are not collectors per se we play with what we build and don't necessarily display it.  So from this perspective I am willing to pay x2 x2.5 MSRP for a retired  large technic set and after that bricklink becomes a much more viable alternative since I don't necessarily care about color scheme.  I just want to build it and  play with it.  That being said technic fans have a soft spot for heavy construction machinery so anything that has crane, bulldozer excavator, dump truck in the name usually does very well.  Flagship sets like crane MKII usually are safer IMHO than smaller ones. 

The Mobile Crane MKII is definitely going to be a big winner shortly after EOL (which is not soon, since it has been released this year). It's the largest Technic set of all time and appears to be quite rare. For us canadians, it's also quite interesting that our MSRP is 250$ compared to 220$ USD. This makes the game a little more even than on most sets.

• 7 months later...

I have been following this set pretty closely.  I think the 2 that you have is fine...no need to PICK UP another. There are better sets to invest in. This set is going to be a slow, and steady climb to reach 2X retail. I believe it will perform similar to set 8081, which retired about a year prior, and is doing pretty good now.

Toys R us had these on sales for $40 a couple times, and they still had them a few months after they retired. I think that's part of the reason why there hasn't been any gains for this set yet. Also, a lot of resellers probably bought this set on sale, so it's going to take longer for it to appreciate.  I have about 40 of these myself, that I bought for $40. I have plenty of time to sit on these, as I'm in this game for the long haul!

Guest TabbyBoy

I have seen some those as well at some local toyshops. Also for about 60 euro. But I did not buy them. I cease buying Technic sets without power-functions except the Formula 1 (I will also buy few of these cause there is no license). Maybe I am wrong.

I have similar thoughts where I think, out of current sets, only 42009 MC2 & 42030 L350F are destined for greatness.  My most common non-power-function Technic set is the 42000 GPR where I bought those when Amazon UK had them for

Guest TabbyBoy

That's the risk you take selling Lego on an auction. BIN's may take longer to shift but you don't get stung for any unexpected losses

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

The problem is that I travel alot and couldn't guarantee to be around when it was time to post hence, my listings always ended on a Thursday evening so I can allow a day to pay and then post on Saturday.  However, I have sold items for silly money like a 9396 Rescue Helicopter for