The most absurd comment from a TRU manager

People doing stuff like this is the reason the rest of us have to jump through hoops when we try to do a legitimate price match.

True.  There's an old saying..."Pigs get slaughtered."  Excessive price matching will one day cause stores to drop the practice all together.  It's like the fools on the TLC TV show EXTREME COUPONING.  Many stores now limit coupons because of the excessive and unnecessary coupon use by these abusers.  I am not saying that this particular case was abusive or extreme, but there is a fine line and if many people are doing this, the policies will be changed.

I guess my eyes are now open and I came here for the constructive critcism and I got it. I obviously didnt see an issue or I wouldnt have done it on so many occasions. If that many people feel as though I was in the wrong then I guess I was. Isnt that why we have these forums? To help each other out? Now I know and will tread lightly thanks!

• Like 1

True.  There's an old saying..."Pigs get slaughtered."  Excessive price matching will one day cause stores to drop the practice all together.  It's like the fools on the TLC TV show EXTREME COUPONING.  Many stores now limit coupons because of the excessive and unnecessary coupon use by these abusers.  I am not saying that this particular case was abusive or extreme, but there is a fine line and if many people are doing this, the policies will be changed.

Once upon a time TLC actually stood for The Learning Channel where their programmings taught you science, history, art, etc.  Now it is just a sad excuse for showcasing reality TV shows.

Sorry waaayy off topic :)

• Like 2

Hey everyone. I hate when people intentionally try to scam the system. But lets lighten up on Dallas20. He didn't know he was doing anything outside of the rules! And why would he? He had done it several times before and was never told he couldn't. In fact, the manager who made the ridiculous statement about keeping stuff on the shelves, STILL hasn't told him you can't price match clearance, you can't price match a % discount, and you cant price match off of a receipt! Now that he knows the rules, he has no intention of trying to circumvent them.

Its one thing to intentionally scam the system. I dont see this as the case here. Give the guy a break.

• Like 2

Once upon a time TLC actually stood for The Learning Channel where their programmings taught you science, history, art, etc.  Now it is just a sad excuse for showcasing reality TV shows.

Sorry waaayy off topic :)

At the very least, the show tells you there are alternatives to EBT cards. There's actually work and time spent with maticulious planning and organization to get those bargains instead of just putting your hand out for free stuff.

Back on topic, you can play by the rules or try bending it. Just don't overbend it to the point it breaks.

I guess my eyes are now open and I came here for the constructive critcism and I got it. I obviously didnt see an issue or I wouldnt have done it on so many occasions. If that many people feel as though I was in the wrong then I guess I was. Isnt that why we have these forums? To help each other out? Now I know and will tread lightly thanks!

I think all of us want to take advantage of stores like TRU.  It's human nature to try and get a great deal.  I can't really blame you.  Maybe if the opportunity presented itself to me, I would have done the same thing.  I believe what is happening among LEGO investors though is that there is a growing faction that have had enough of people who invest and collect in extreme ways.  Call it the "conservative" branch of the LEGO investing world.  They are tired of hearing about others buying up 50 or 60 sets or using various questionable methods to save a dollar.  I believe many fear this behavior will hurt us all down the road.  

• Like 1

Companies put purchasing limits on sale items quite often to prevent people from cleaning out their stock.

This is exactly why. She may have been saying it just to make up a reason, but this is an absolutely legitimate concern. Think about this:

Lets say one big buyer comes in once a week and buys everything TRU has on the shelves. Ok - so they made all their money for the week. However, everyone stops shopping there because the shelves are always empty.

The original mass buyer all of a sudden stops buying == lost revenue. Obviously thats an extreme but it illustrates the point.

I don't understand the price matching deal anyway? I mean if something is available at let's say Walmart for 100 bucks, why go to TRU where its 120 and ask them to PM? Just buy it at Walmart.

Lots of reasons. Rewards is a big one. Also, item condition (getting it in store via online), trying to adjust another deal. Having TRU rewards is a big reason I do it. If I have 30$ in TRU rewards, I would rather buy it there and use the rewards :)

I don't understand the price matching deal anyway? I mean if something is available at let's say Walmart for 100 bucks, why go to TRU where its 120 and ask them to PM? Just buy it at Walmart.

In this particular case, the buyer was purchasing clearance items from K-Mart until there were none left, then taking his receipt to TRU to price match because TRU still had stock on the shelves. TRU doesn't normally price match clearance items (or without a advertisement), so he was fortunate. 

Two carts of lego equaled 3 helms deep 4 hulk 6868 4 urukai army and 4 werrwolves....

3 Helms Deeps take up an entire cart unless you try to cram them in and risk damaging the boxes. Its not like i was buying 25 Vampyre Castles...in fact I dont own more than 5 of any set.

I was at my local TRU trying to price match some Lego sets that I picked up earlier from KMart at 50%....I got a little carried away and had two cart fulls of various sets.

The poor cashier was obviously overwhelmed so she called her manager over. The manager initially tells me that she is unable to price match my items. So obviously I politely explain that they have a price match guarantee and I have my receipts from KMart who is a local competitor. She gives me a few other excuses before finally throwing her hands up in the air in frustration, gasping, and exclaiming that my recent string of price matching (over the past month) is getting out of hand and I have to leave some product on the shelf for her other customers.

Seriously TRU?

In the big picture of things I find it odd that either other cashiers, or other managers had tipped her off on my recent string of price matching. Granted I have been to this particular store 8 time this month for rather large purchases all involving price matching. However, it is still their policy and the fact that they tipped off store employees about my "rash" of price matching purchases is  a little troubling. It sort of makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong when all I am trying to do is some extreme lego couponing!

You are the one whos is wrong here ... what kinda store price matchs other stores clearance prices?

You handle it better than most would have here. 

For serious guys...lighten up...we all agree to agree here.

• Like 1