Display Cases

So I decided that I'm going with the DETLOF after all. It looked really nice at the store and had to clear our some space and measure the area.

Once I build this (hopefully it will go smoothly knowing Ikea stuff), I'll show off the goods! :P

I have 7 Detolfs to display other collectibles I have (statues and mini busts).  They are really nice for the price, but I don't know how they display LEGO collections.  You should know that there are small gaps between the front door and both sides, so dust will still collect over time just not as quickly.  I think there are ways to seal it off but I haven't tried that myself.

Vince. Im an USAF pilot. So i have a helmet ffrom each airframe. It keeps the kids off of em.

I seal each detolf with tape or clear corner protectors from lowes. Good for wall or wood corners and kids. They are a perfect fit. Just trim it to 5ft amd use double sided tape to one glass surface.

You can also use 3/16 wire rope clips maybe rope brackets. And get extra glass cut a hair wider than factory glass. I fit 6 extra shelves into my detolf.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/423114-ikea-detolf-modification-adding-additional-shelves.html

• Like 1

Vince. Im an USAF pilot. So i have a helmet ffrom each airframe. It keeps the kids off of em.

I seal each detolf with tape or clear corner protectors from lowes. Good for wall or wood corners and kids. They are a perfect fit. Just trim it to 5ft amd use double sided tape to one glass surface.

You can also use 3/16 wire rope clips maybe rope brackets. And get extra glass cut a hair wider than factory glass. I fit 6 extra shelves into my detolf.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutorials-how-tos/423114-ikea-detolf-modification-adding-additional-shelves.html

I kinda figured, not a pilot but I am USAF aircrew. My first airframe didn't have helmets, but I just got my first helmet last year. Looking forward to displaying mine in the future when I finally retire. Now I am really thinking about getting a display cabinet for all my memorabilia like patches, spent ammunition, coins and other things acquired over the years...

At least I somewhat tied that into the current topic :P

DNIIM. the case is too small for a DS. A custom case would have to be made. Youd be lucky to get it made under $200. FL may be cheaper on acryl or plexi shops. I am entertaining the idea of joining the two cases. Right now ikea chamged wood colors. So when you do buy a detolf, buy more than you need so they match.

The bertby style ikea cases are quite good, they tend to come with 7 or 9 glass shelves, they are not particularly wide or deep but you can rearrange the shelves, you can fit in the batcave if you split it in 2 and will fit the funhouse with some modification to give you an idea, they are perfect for the smaller sets.  I have one from over 10 years ago.  I recently picked up a matching pair from ebay for 42 quid, which is not bad as I saw a pair go for 103 over the weekend, however they were in a more desirable beech wood finish as opposed to my dark wood finish.  I then bought some surface mounted 3W LED lights from trade lighting uk, with the transformer and extension cables it came to around 50.  What is good about these cabinets is that you can mount them on the wall and are fairly easy to put up.  Will post some photos at the weekend for you all to see.  They are cheap and cheerful, so if you do want to spend too much you cant get much better for the price, they don't make them anymore but you can find them.

Well if you are just displaying minifigs you can try mounting them into photo frames, I got this idea off some YouTube video but I can't seem to find it now. The external frame can be bought off ikea.

I was afraid of the frame falling on my little girl so I mounted it really low, plus it's at her eye level so she can check it out every now and then. :-)

post-31736-13950901646895_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I am looking for a display case for minifigs that holds around 100 figs.  I have read through the past articles on the topic and have yet to find exactly what I want.

This

http://www.brickclassifieds.com/products/lego-minifigure-display-frame-holds-120-figs-1

Is basically what I want but this is located in the UK and was hoping for someone in the US just in case I want to send it back.  

• Like 1

I got some cases from michael's crafts, check there. They usually have 40-50% coupons floating around. I got 3 of them that were normally $50 and were on sale for $25. They hold 64 minifigures in each case.

Edit:

This is what I got:

http://www.michaels.com/studio-decor-keepsake-display-case/10227067.html#start=47

Those look good I will give those a try.

• 4 years later...

When I was looking for a display case for a few of my model sets, I wanted to find something with tempered glass so that it was really well protected. I had spent at least 1week of my free time out making the millenium falcon (I know I'm not too fast). But anyways, I found a company called Tecno Display that does customization for display cases. I ended up getting a few pedestal glass cases. they look like this image.thumb.png.6a9bccff11bf6579fdecc730f5626a55.png. If you want to check out the website its, https://tecnodisplay.com