My frustration with TRU and what they did about it...

amnesiac

Toys R Us in my town has been surrounded by a Dave and Buster's and a community college.  When I pull in to the parking lot, Toys R Us has maybe 5 cars in the parking lot on any given Saturday.  The far end of their parking lot is filled with cars for the other two places I mentioned.  It is a sad experience going there.  Once inside, you see a dirty and wet room filled with rusted and dented shopping carts before you can enter the store.  Inside the store you have to pass through a 'dollar store' model of crap toys and gift wrap.  Then you have to go through their seasonal section (which is now costumes).  Only after going through these sad areas can you actually navigate through the aisles to the area you want to shop in.  Unfortunately, the Lego section is on a strange angle to the main aisles and it is not well lit and is usually pretty unorganized.  

I don't have any fond memories of this store growing up.  I have better memories of Ben Franklins, KMarts, American Sales, and KBToys.  Toys R Us has always seemed quite the paradox to me: a depressing store that sells toys.   I don't think I will ever bring my son in there.  Target seems to be the best 'toy store' for us.  The displays are clean and interesting and interactive.  The store itself is clean and organized. The layout is welcoming and easy to navigate.  Even with pricing aside, I think Toys R Us is a dinosaur that has gone too far past their ability to change into something good. 

Nive letter, I see that took some effort but I also think you probably should've been a bit more appreciative of their response. Im not trying to be rude, but most business will still give you a BS response even with all of that but the person in this case actually took the time to address your concerns individually and even tried to relate to your analogies. Her grammar was a bit lacking for a sincere response letter, but I think "Shanice" actually put some effort into her letter, and I respect that even if TRU's policies won't change.

• Like 1

I did appreciate that someone took the time to write a response as I didnt even think that that was going to happen. The discount was great as well and being as I wasnt expecting either I actually felt that at least somebody, no matter how far down on the totem pole it was, listened to what I had to say and did something to assuage my frustration no matter how small it was. 30%.....cool, I'll take it. Did it change anything??? Of course it didnt and I didnt expect it to. I just wanted to vent is all and thought the response worth sharing. Who knew.....

I wholeheartedly agree though, that a business can charge whatever they want and that the only way to change that is by not shopping there. Which was what I decided to do all along...

If you were on last night around midnight or so you would have seen why TRU isn't gonna change. The 41999 which has been sold out for a while now and is being released in batches a few at a time was available last night for a few minutes on the TRU EBay store. The same people who despise TRU because of their business practices were the same people scooping this set up even at the ridiculously inflated price. We all know there are gonna be some people whining about how there order got canceled or how their box came totally crushed. The TRU ebay store has thousands and thousands of negative feedbacks but for some reason people still shop there. No offense was meant by any of the posts here, TRU rants just grow tiresome. My suggestion from experience is to just forget the store exists. My life is a lot better now that I have done that :)

• Like 1

Oh and I forgot to sI lived in Tucson and was torn between staying there and going to UofA or moving up to Tempe and going to ASU

That's crazy. The whole reason I came back was to Arizona was to start a new career and the choice was between moving to the Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa area for ASU or coming back to Tucson and going to UofA. I chose Tucson as it was the last place I was stationed before I got out of the military so I know the place pretty well and it feels like home. 

That's crazy. The whole reason I came back was to Arizona was to start a new career and the choice was between moving to the Phoenix/Tempe/Mesa area for ASU or coming back to Tucson and going to UofA. I chose Tucson as it was the last place I was stationed before I got out of the military so I know the place pretty well and it feels like home. 

"feels like home." I can relate; I grew up all over AZ. I lived in (in no particular order) Flagstaff, Casa Grande, Tucson, Sierra Vista (mostly). Mesquite and sage on the wind...can't get that smell anywhere else in the US. I'm east coast now, but will be in AZ for Thanksgiving.

Were you stationed at DM? Pima County Air Museum and the "Boneyard" are my two favorite places in that area (yes, I'm a plane nut).

Sorry to continue the thread hijacking...

Were you stationed at DM? Pima County Air Museum and the "Boneyard" are my two favorite places in that area (yes, I'm a plane nut).

Sorry to continue the thread hijacking...

LOL I was born on Ft Huachuca!! I was just there the Sunday before last for the 50% off sale at Kmart (steering it back to Lego). Great pick ups but the ABSOLUTE best was Nogales. I had and overflowing cart of stuff from there and its where I got my best pick ups. (Steering it back away) I was stationed at DM after moving here from New Jersey. At DM I worked as an IT guy, but before that I was.......wait for it.....an aircraft technician. LOL I worked on 141s and KC10 refuelers. If I'd have stayed as a tech I wouldve requested to work the A10s on DM but chose to change to a "sit down" job. 

I have good memories of my local TRU, like preordering Super Mario Bros. 3 in the late 80's as well as Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy games and then showing up when the store opened.

I like that bible quote at the end of your letter, their owner Bain Capital and the Romneys dig that kind of stuff.

I don't shop at TRU that much because of the higher prices, but every now and then they do have a deal like this one:

http://slickdeals.net/f/6092718-lego-city-fire-plane-20-free-store-pickup

$20 for a $60 set ($70 TRU retail price)

I usually wait for deals like this to buy something there.  Sometimes I will use the BOGO50 offers to get some of the polybags that are hard to find at other stores, like the lawn mower:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=30224-1