10937 - Batman: Arkham Asylum Breakout

StarCityBrickCompany

To be honest, I'd buy none of them right now.  Can someone please explain to me the wisdom in buying a set that is not close to retirement at full retail?  To me all that is is lost capital and opportunity.  The only time I ever buy sets for medium/long term investment at full retail is when they are very very close to EOL or have already gone EOL in some regions and I'm picking off the last few I can find.

If you're in this game to maximise your profits then you don't want to be buying any of these sets unless you can get them at a decent discount.  If profit maximisation is not your thing then sure, go ahead and buy whatever, whenever.

If forced to choose one it would be the HH as I mentioned previously as that is most likely the closest one to EOL.  Sure, the other two may have better returns once they retire, but anyone espousing buying the Tower of Orthanc right now as an investment is having a laugh. 

• Like 2

Out of these three sets, if you could pick one to own, which one would it be?  The reason I ask is because this is my exact situation.  I love all three themes, and all three sets are similar enough in price.  I think that all of them will do great as investments, but how do you pick just one when that is likely all you can afford?  I am curious to hear everyones' thoughts on this.  Please try to stick to the facts, and limit personal bias for each theme whenever possible.  Thanks!

To own because it's awesome and I want to build it: Orthanc.

To invest in: I guess Haunted House as it's a bit older than Orthanc (but that's a flaky argument). AA maybe also but HH looks better.

I think you'll still have more than enough time to buy Orthanc if you're simply planning an investment here as it's been out for 3 months only.

I went a ahead an purchased two HH last night. I've only seen them at LEGO stores and they were limited. Purchased through Amazon and apparently people who mostly purchased HH also went for the TOO. Looks like both are going to be great investments within the next six moths or sooner!

To be honest, I'd buy none of them right now.  Can someone please explain to me the wisdom in buying a set that is not close to retirement at full retail?  To me all that is is lost capital and opportunity.  The only time I ever buy sets for medium/long term investment at full retail is when they are very very close to EOL or have already gone EOL in some regions and I'm picking off the last few I can find.

If you're in this game to maximise your profits then you don't want to be buying any of these sets unless you can get them at a decent discount.  If profit maximisation is not your thing then sure, go ahead and buy whatever, whenever.

If forced to choose one it would be the HH as I mentioned previously as that is most likely the closest one to EOL.  Sure, the other two may have better returns once they retire, but anyone espousing buying the Tower of Orthanc right now as an investment is having a laugh. 

Sound advice...except, will there be more discounts on any large sets?  I don't know.  Maybe the time to buy ant large is now with all the double VIP points and free holiday set.  This might be the lowest price you will find these sets at ever again.  

• Like 1

I would go for the Haunted House for sure. I picked one up last week, because I would regret it if it's retiring in januari/februari.

Yeah. Same here, got one from Lego Store last week also. Double VIP and a free gift is always a good thing. I am thinking of picking up another one before the double VIP program ends this month.

My vote is still the Asylum.  Those minifigures alone can be worth more than the MSRP a year from now.  You get to keep the truck, the gate, and the building for free.  Haunted House is a great build but I rather be practical here.

I'm dimes and nickels as far as prices goes.  From the way the policy is going, the double point months might be the best chance for anyone to back up the truck with your exclusive purchases.  Especially if you are planning on hogging a massive quantities of any of the 3 sets mentioned.  If you are getting less than 3 for investing, just wait till close to EOL.

You said whichever one you get you are gonna build right? So take the investing aspect out of it, take the "When is it gonna retire" aspect out of it. Pick the one that looks like it would be the most fun to build and the one that you think looks the best to you. if you are gonna open it and build it then however much it is gonna be worth later isn't even a factor. Think about having fun when you are building it. Which one would make you enjoy it the most. Personally its between the ToO and the HH. Ive build both. They are both awesome. If you are a lotr fan then Tower of orthanc without a second thought. If you don't really care for lotr then haunted house. If you like both, take a coin, flip it, and boom fate has decided.

• Like 1

I would go for the haunted house. I think the sand greens are going to make the set go up in value. I also see that some people thought it might not do well because it is more for Halloween or a themed set. I would agree and disagree at the same time. I think this is why people like it. When you look at pictures of people's modular towns, the haunted house is often all by itself at the end of a road surrounded by more spooky stuff, set away from the rest of the modulars, so I think it becomes more of a unique building and that is why people would continue to want it.

Second would be the Tower set, although that is newer so you should have plenty of time to grab that later.

Last, the Arkham, it was not that great. Yes the figures might be worth a lot later, but take batman out of the asylum and it was not that impressive of a set by itself, IMO. I can see people wanting it for the theme, but not just because of the set itself.

Thank you everyone for a bunch of great answers and analysis.  I am seeing a lot of my own thoughts echoed here.  I will probably ultimately go with the Haunted House for my next big purchase out of these three choices.  My only concern is that the minifigs have relatively low value compared to the other two.  I usually only buy sets that have very strong minifig value.  But if the Haunted House is treated more like a modular, (which it often seems to be,) then that concern isn't applicable.

I would go for the haunted house. I think the sand greens are going to make the set go up in value. I also see that some people thought it might not do well because it is more for Halloween or a themed set. I would agree and disagree at the same time. I think this is why people like it. When you look at pictures of people's modular towns, the haunted house is often all by itself at the end of a road surrounded by more spooky stuff, set away from the rest of the modulars, so I think it becomes more of a unique building and that is why people would continue to want it.

Second would be the Tower set, although that is newer so you should have plenty of time to grab that later.

Last, the Arkham, it was not that great. Yes the figures might be worth a lot later, but take batman out of the asylum and it was not that impressive of a set by itself, IMO. I can see people wanting it for the theme, but not just because of the set itself.

I would agree to all this. Haunted House owns all by itself, Tower is great but very new, and while Arkham Asylum looks fantastic from the front the inside is not as impressive. Plus the build uses a lot of big parts and plates which is limiting far as using them for something else. About the only good thing from Arkham is the minifigures really.

Sound advice...except, will there be more discounts on any large sets?  I don't know.  Maybe the time to buy ant large is now with all the double VIP points and free holiday set.  This might be the lowest price you will find these sets at ever again.  

Yes indeed.  It is a balancing act for sure.  Discount vs Time.  Double VIP is essentially 10%, plus the gift set so top that up to 15-20% perhaps.  Then you need to work out whether that 15-20% can be bettered by investing the capital in another set (or any other investment) before the set you buy goes EOL.  

Orthanc for example should be around for a couple of years (maybe longer).  That means a 15-20% discount on it now would be beaten if you can use capital to make 7.5%-10% per annum for 2 years.  That also doesn't account for perhaps seeing the same discount available next year, or even a lesser discount like 10%.  5% is available all the time via the VIP points anyway, so now the gap we are talking about is not 15-20% but 10-15% or less.  (the big risk caveat being Lego may tighten discounts further e.g. no VIP points on big sets etc).  The same applies for the other sets but with different assumptions on EOL, which is what we spend so much time on researching and speculating about.

Of course this only applies to buying 1 set or a fairly small number.  Big investors with large capital pools need to spread their purchases out over a longer period for logistical reasons as well as trying to stay under the radar on store limits etc.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone, I tried to google some pictures to see this but I did not find any...

Did anyone setup Arkham Asylum 10937 on the modular street? I know the haunted house fits perfectly but I'm curious about Arkham and please post pics, it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you