POUNDS of Legos

mikeur86

So I just purchased 152lbs of LEGOs for around 4.00-5.50 a pound. My initial plan was to put them up on craigslist for 10.00 a pound and have a garage sale and sell them for 10.00 a pound. In the 152lbs I purchased there is a definite guarantee of a complete theme set of Indiana Jones(all the sets). There are also Harry Potter sets, I can see the towers for Hogwarts and just a bunch of familiar looking pieces I have seen from licensed sets.

My question is, should i just sell them for 10.00 a lb and try to make a quick flip or should I take the time and try and skim through the pieces finding the Indiana Jones sets and possibly Harry Potter? It seems the used prices for those sets are pretty nice(much better than 10.00 a lb of course)

Also in this lot I scored a UCE Batmobile complete with box and instructions and a 85% complete Harry Potter Durmstrang Ship with box and instructions, plus around 300 mini-figures. Its the best score I have ever purchased IMO.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Sifting through 152lbs is a huge task, worth the pay-off? Does anyone buy lbs of Legos and break them up into certain colors, shapes or speciality pieces and sell them that way?

Would appreciate any input. Thanks! 

Yeah, when the box arrived at my door I was like :w00t:  then I first dumped them all out on my floor like  :shocked: and then I felt like  :kingxmas:  then a sudden  :frantics: Right now though I just need that  :money:  

Nice use of them emoticons. I think it is always worth it to try to find as many complete lots as you can in there. If you find that it is too difficult, seperate the pieces into color, size, theme, etc. Buyers generally pay attention to more specific listings, because they know that the seller put TIME and EFFORT into putting the listing together.

I'd build the sets, but yeah, it will take time so fast flip is not really an option. I don't buy a whole lot of huge bulk lots these days because I just don't have the time to sort and build. I'm sitting on  a good 80 pounds or so right now but it isn't going anywhere while I am taking advanced algebra and chemistry classes. No time.

I would definitely try to find and build as many sets as possible, especially in those lines you are talking about.  Harry Potter sets can mount up quick in the dollar department depending on which sets you have.  150 lbs is amazing, though.  I have been going through around 40 lbs in my latest lot and it takes some time to start to whittle it down to something manageable.  Good luck and take some pictures of pieces if you're needing help figuring out what you have in there, though it sounds like you're off to a good start.

You could hire someone to sort for you. I would do it (for a cut of the sales)... but I'm not in the US lol

That is an interesting idea. I'm in the USA, maybe I could do. Nah, I went through about 40 pounds and that was a nightmare for me. I found about ten sets so far, which is valued at around $200. I still have a lot of sets to find. It is easier if you can identify which pieces go to which set. I found a bunch of odd pieces in my lot, and I spent hours looking for where they go.

Good luck selling at 10 a pound.

I always sell them for ten a pound....actually on ebay I do 12 plus shipping, after fees and everything it amounts to about 9.00. Another thing that has been even more successful is selling 1 lot of 100 pieces, after fees and everything it yields around 3.00. There is about 500 pieces in a pound(depending on sizes etc) so thats around 15.00 lb

Ive just never had so many HP, Indiana Jones and Batman evident in my lots. I filled an entire 30 Gallon tote, Its really intimidating looking at them all. Thinking about just selling some bulk lots weeding out any I believe to be junk pieces and then figure out what sets I can build