Total percentage off MSRP and PPP

So I didn't see anything posted on this before, so here goes with my first new topic :P

Did some reformatting on my tracking spreadsheet and using autosum and a division formulas I worked out a total percentage off MSRP and PPP ratio for all my sealed sets.  And was wondering if anybody else does this and their thoughts on it.  The metric may not be all that important but it does help in the feel good department lol.

Currently, my fledgling brickfolio is showing an overall 32.8% off retail and my PPP ratio is just under .08 cents a piece.  So on spreadsheet at least it seems that I am doing pretty good so far.

Thoughts, comments, ideas?

- Vince

So I didn't see anything posted on this before, so here goes with my first new topic :P

Did some reformatting on my tracking spreadsheet and using autosum and a division formulas I worked out a total percentage off MSRP and PPP ratio for all my sealed sets.  And was wondering if anybody else does this and their thoughts on it.  The metric may not be all that important but it does help in the feel good department lol.

Currently, my fledgling brickfolio is showing an overall 32.8% off retail and my PPP ratio is just under .08 cents a piece.  So on spreadsheet at least it seems that I am doing pretty good so far.

Thoughts, comments, ideas?

- Vince

It sounds like you are doing good so far. This is very interesting. I have never done this before, but I may do this in the future.

I do the same on my spreadsheet. Currently at 29.3% savings but there are some real stinkers on the high side of those savings with PoP, Atlantis, World Racers, Pharaoh's Quest to name a few:

% off MSRP    LEGO #    Name
0.762 - 7569 Desert Attack Prince of Persia     
0.73 - 9396 Helicopter    
0.722 - 5974 Galactic Enforcer Space    
0.674 - 3178 Seaplane    
0.671 - 7949 Prison Carriage Rescue      
0.662 - 8899 Gator Swamp World Racers    
0.662 - 3181 Passenger Plane    
0.662 - 8061 Gateway of the Squid    
0.662 - 7307 Flying Mummy Attack    
0.657 - 7592 Construct-a-Buzz    
0.651 - 5763 Dune Hopper    
0.636 - 7594 Woody's Roundup!    
0.636 - 7596 Trash Compactor Escape    
0.635 - 7206 Fire Helicopter City     
0.635 - 7959 Geonosian Starfighter    
0.608 - 7947 Prison Tower Rescue      
0.602 - 5886 T-Rex Hunter    
0.593 - 8059 Seabed Scavenger    
0.588 - 70003 Eris' Eagle Interceptor    
0.585 - 5982 Smash '******' Grab Space     
0.582 - 8898 Wreckage Road    
0.582 - 7789 Lotso's Dump Truck    
0.582 - 9569 Spitta    
0.582 - 7189 Mill Village Raid    
0.58 - 8077 Atlantis Exploration HQ     
0.58 - 4202 Mining Truck    
0.579 - 4191 Captain's Cabin    
0.57 - 7913 Clone Trooper Battle Pack    
0.569 - 9469 Gandalf Arrives    
0.559 - 6918 Blacksmith Attack    
0.559 - 7595 Army Men on Patrol     
0.556 - 7067 Jet-Copter Encounter    
0.556 - 4208 Fire Truck    
0.556 - 5883 Tower Takedown    
0.55 - 7956 Ewok Attack    
0.55 - 7957 Sith Nightspeeder    
0.55 - 8092 Luke's Landspeeder    
0.55 - 9442 Jay's Storm Fighter  

the

I calculate my % saved vs retail on my spreadsheet, but not the price per piece. Currently I am at 31% saved vs retail. On 642 sets, that amounts to a size able chunk of change. Out of curiosity, what relevance does price per piece have, unless you are parting out of course?

642 sets O_o....i thought i was crazy with my 58 sets lol.

I did PPP because i have seen some people swear by the 10 cents a piece rule (ie as long as you are under 10 cents a piece then you are ahead of the game). After all many people us PPP to gauge value of a set at certain price points. But as legomaniacc stated what makes up your brickfolio is much more important as not all sets are equal. But i do think these calculations can provide some descent insight into your brickfolio and how you are doing overall.

I like to see the % off MSRP each set I've bought just to see how "far ahead" I am. If I can get that to 30% or more, I'm pretty happy.

Of course the final and better indicator is markup (actual profit once you've made the sales)...so far I'm at 80% after all fees and supplies, so for every dollar I spend, I make back $1.80    I would expect that overall number to drop once I do sell some of those losers I've been hanging onto...finally sold almost all my Home One's and those have netted me a whopping 30% markup after buying and holding for 3 years (started back in late 2010)....lol.

Wish I had more Zombies at 176% or Burrow at 291% (bought on clearance).

Out of curiosity, what relevance does price per piece have, unless you are parting out of course?

It's a builder thing. :cheese:

I may try this someday to see what the overall price-per-piece ratio of my collection is. I am curious to calculate what it all looks like compared to how much I spent as well as current worth. It would be fun just for snits & giggles. :derisive: