October 2x VIP: Buy from Australia

BrickPick3r

Has anyone ever bought lego directly from their official website? I want to ask some few questions about it.

For example, the price at checkout says 199 + free shipping. Will there be any tax or other costs once it's delivered? Will it really be $199? 

Also for the double point, it can be redeemed only at the next purchase right? I'm it is, then many sets are pretty attractive since some are cheaper or not available here.

I sure have in recent times. Mostly you can get better deals elsewhere on prices alone, but the freebies often available from direct orders, can make direct purchases tempting.

To answer the questions:

- The price at the checkout is the price you'll pay. If you're in the Australian LEGO Shop at Home store, the prices you see are inclusive of tax (which is the law in Australia, anyway).

- VIP points are only credited after an order is processed, and shipping and payment has occurred (pretty sure you don't get charged until the item ships).

- Some of the larder to find items end up being cheaper via LEGO Shop at Home than other local retailers (especially now they have stuck with the free shipping on orders over $150). However with the AUD still reasonably high, it may still be cheaper to buy international and pay for the shipping, due to the deeper discounts you can find overseas, as well as the much lower RRP in other countries. But double VIP does help offset that, as effectively it is giving you 10% discount.

Hope this all helps. I know I will be ordering a few more things during double VIP points month (fingers crossed we are able to get the Christmas bonus here, though doubt it).

Not quite true. If you look at your credit card statement you get charged and international transaction fee at the price goes back to DKRs. So a bit more than the $199.

I had never even noticed that! Looks to be about 1.5% on my credit card (master card). I have to say that I think that is pretty poor form from Lego to not have it setup to sell legitimately in AUD and wipe out the international transaction fee.

Another reason it would be great to see Lego setting up stores over here.

Hey guys have ordered a few times from LEGO Shop at Home. They are good to deal with, I have never noticed any extra transaction on my CC, but will check it out. 

Some things I have found:

1. Shipping is fairly quick around 2 weeks and your not charged till item is shipped. Even though you pay in AU dollars the lego ships from denmark.

2. You will only ever get 1 poly bag per household, NOT per order. 

3. VIP points only get added once item shipped, arrived and billed. 

4. If you order alot of lego you WILL have to contact their customer services as they will want to talk you you. (generally only first time or and special edition sets)

Things to consider.

1. If you order alot of a certain set it will send up red flags. 

2. If you want more than 1 poly of a certain set, get a family member to order for you. You will not be able to use your VIP account, CC or delivery address.

3. Most polys are worth 15 - 20 each and VIP points are about 5% off price. 

4. Most sets can be bought cheaper here or overseas, but for sets exclusives or special ones like Palace Cinema they are the cheapest play to buy from. 

5. We get double VIPS but no any extra special polys this month, its America only!

Thats my 5 cents

I shall post in the shipping one about overseas buying .

Most of the special polys are America only. Mainly cause larger market and more competion hence have to give more incentive to buy from them. 

We do not even get the special SW minifig that they have had a 2 month run on (till end of OCT)

Only some are worth buying direct, with the recent Myer and DJ sales they were on average 40% off retail. 

Should work out a little more than that. In Australia if I recall you get $7.50 back per 100 points, so should be 10% of the purchase price during double VIP.

Considering the rarity of finding these on sale especially here, getting a '10%' discount is reasonable. The GE is a nice set. But I would suggest waiting until October 14 (or 15) to see if we do get any 'Christmas' bonus.