Shipping from lego reliable?

Zzero6

Hey everyone,  I was just wondering if getting the sets from lego.com will arrive in good shape?  I have not gotten much from lego.com and I like all my boxes and sets to be in really mint condition.  For those of you who have gotten sets from the online lego store, can you please let me know if you had any problems with boxes being banged up or not in the best of shapes.  Thanks

Guest TabbyBoy

I've ordered from LEGO at least 20 times and rarely had a problem.  The only issue could be a polybag promo denting a box slightly which is why I ask for no promos with an expensive set unless its a good one.  I said "No" to Galaxy Mech for example.  LEGO use good boxes with "airbags" inside and secured with the plastic tape that people often trip over.

My experiences have been about 95% favorable as far as box condition.  My main gripe with LEGO Shop at Home is that the orders sometimes take 3-4 days just to process and ship, and they seem to send it the slowest, cheapest method possible.  By the time your stuff comes, you have forgotten you even ordered it.  :)

Generally, buying from LEGO Shop at Home is pretty reliable. They have boxes that are manufactured directly for that particular box size/set. There's usually a decent amount of space around the set, and some sort of padding that may help, but not enough to prevent ALL damage. Also, like Ed Mack said, there is the possibility that a polybag will damage the box design of your set by puncturing it.

• 3 years later...

ce094351200152d22c87a31dac04ffa4.jpg

So i ordered Slave 1 UCS 75060 for personal use, but I like to keep the box minty fresh just in case. My first order of Slave 1 came with with the 24 in 1 promo on top with ended up smashing in the Slave 1 box during shipping. After a bunch of calling Lego LEGO Shop at Home and the nearest local store, a LEGO Shop at Home rep agreed to ship a replacement.

The replacement arrived today only it looks like it was dropped on its corner during shipping as there packing box just fit the Lego box length perfectly.

Am I being overly picky? Is this par for the course with LEGO Shop at Home shipping? I think from now on I will just have to travel to the nearest Lego brick and mortar location if I want minty fresh boxes.

Yeah, you pretty much answered your own question.  The only way to pick a pristine box is to go pull it off the shelf yourself.  I've done returns to Lego and Amazon in the past, but I find it a hassle.  The thread on box condition and resale value is pretty helpful.  I often go back and reread it just to feel better.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LegoBro said:

Yeah, you pretty much answered your own question.  The only way to pick a pristine box is to go pull it off the shelf yourself.  I've done returns to Lego and Amazon in the past, but I find it a hassle.  The thread on box condition and resale value is pretty helpful.  I often go back and reread it just to feel better.

Thanks for the link, it helps to put things in perspective.

I will chalk this one up to lessoned learned and in the future I'll just make the trip the the store if I want to hand select a box.  

It's pretty rare for LEGO Shop at Home to send a box that can't accurately be described as "excellent condition - may contain minor imperfections typical of a retail environment".

Only once in probably 500 orders have I received something truly in "damaged box" condition. If it had been a $100+ set, I'd have just parted it out. But being a $20 RRP freebie (london bus), I just listed it with the description/pic disclaimers, and dropped the price 10% below the going rate, and it sold within a day all the same.