Is it possible to have a retirement or out of stock within 1 year?

Well, CUUSOO projects are supposed to have limited quantity of set produced (either 10,000 or 20,000), so retirement should depend on the rate of sales, though LEGO did decide to extend production of the CUUSOO Minecraft set.

Good point. I wonder when BTTF will retire then, since Minecraft appears to be sticking around, I wonder if Lego will add it to the lineup as well. 

Good point. I wonder when BTTF will retire then, since Minecraft appears to be sticking around, I wonder if Lego will add it to the lineup as well.

BTTF I expect to be around until after Christmas. Minecraft they seem to be turning into a theme. Although the set numbers for the two new mine craft sets are a bit confusing as they seem to be in the Cuscoo number range.

Has anyone ever seen a set that retired or unavailable within one year? Is it possible? From what i know, the least would be 2 years. Let say, if the set really do well right after the introduction and out of stock. Will TLG manufacture them more to cope with the demand and to make the product's life cycle as expected?

It can and does happen.  Recent examples, are Helicopter & Limousine #3222, City House #8403, & Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter #7868.

It can and does happen.  Recent examples, are Helicopter & Limousine #3222, City House #8403, & Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter #7868.

Those are also great examples. There is a pattern with most sets that have been retired after one year. Those sets usually increase in value faster like the 9465 Zombies. That set had a retail of $39.99 I think, now the set is worth over $100 MISB.

Recent examples, are Helicopter & Limousine #3222, City House #8403, & Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter #7868.

Kind of forgot about Mace Windu's Jedi Starfighter. I think I saw it for a few months then it was gone. It definately helped being another Walmart exclusive same as Helicopter & Limousine. I wonder if the "Limited Edition" printed down the side helped it fly off shelves. It certainly does catch your attention by saying "Hey! Can't buy me just anywhere! Only here!"