4202 - Mining Truck

Rich B

4202 is sold out on LEGO Shop at Home and was part of the recent clearance. IMO this is a pretty cool set. There have been many Lego dump trucks and construction themed sets over the years and I love them all. This dump truck (or mining truck) is unique in its large size, etc. I noticed last night my local Target still had a couple left, but I did not pull the trigger. Still on the fence about how this set will perform. How do you all feel about 4202 in the future? And is production of this set definitely over?

4202 is sold out on S@H and was part of the recent clearance. IMO this is a pretty cool set. There have been many Lego dump trucks and construction themed sets over the years and I love them all. This dump truck (or mining truck) is unique in its large size, etc. I noticed last night my local Target still had a couple left, but I did not pull the trigger. Still on the fence about how this set will perform. How do you all feel about 4202 in the future? And is production of this set definitely over?

Nice set. Cool tires. Doesn't look like the Mining theme will be carried over to 2013, so EOL is likely soon if not already. Seems like a lot cops and robbers sets in the CITY theme this year. CITY sets are solid performers. They are not flashy, but they increase in value better than a lot of other themes.

I really like the whole mining theme and have this along with 4204 (The Mine). Both were very difficult to find here around Christmas. I found the 4204 at TRU during a BOGO 50% sale and I ended up ordering the 4204 off Amazon at full price I liked it so much. Ed is it really true this theme is EOL?

• 1 month later...

I love this one too. I actually built it a few nights ago and it is definitely the best vehicle in the mining line. It has been on clearance just about everywhere Shopko, Target, Walmart, etc and it is now getting harder to find. I would guess this will give a decent return in the future.

• 4 months later...

I have a question for you lego investing professionals. I have someone willing to sell me 10 sets of in box 4202's for $175 dollars. Would any of you do this deal to sell immediately and make a quick profit. Thanks for your time.

I personally think that would be a pretty solid purchase.  They haven't appreciated much yet, but it's a nice truck and should do well.

retail on this set I believe was $35, so that is 50% off of a retired set. I cleaned out my shopkos on this set after Christmas when they had them marked down to the same price you have been offered, but I had to pay tax, which you won't have to. I wound up with 17 of them, and I feel good about it. construction sets have always done well for me, provided you wait a couple of years to sell them. if it was me I would buy them.

• Like 1

he also had 10 x 7345's new in box for sale that we have not negotiated yet,  what do you think about that set? Thanks for your quick responses.

depends on the price. personally I wouldn't buy that set for any more than $15-$20 each. one of the shopkos near me has had at least 30 of these on clearance for $23 for almost 4 months now and nobody is biting at that price. I am waiting for the inevitable "buy this before we throw it in the trash" markdown of 70% which shopko has been known to do. even then I will only buy a few. the only creator sets I have had success with have been the houses. these generic vehicles are fun for a kid to play with, but as an investment I don't think they perform very well. has anybody else out there had good experience with these generic creator vehicle sets??

• 2 months later...

4202 willing be going on sale 40% off at TRUs in Canada starting tomorrow. I believe I will grab a few but otherwise I know little about the City line or the ' City Mining' sets in terms of potential. It looks like a decent set but is anyone targetting this one as potential winner down the road?

4202 willing be going on sale 40% off at TRUs in Canada starting tomorrow. I believe I will grab a few but otherwise I know little about the City line or the ' City Mining' sets in terms of potential. It looks like a decent set but is anyone targetting this one as potential winner down the road?

That seems like a good deal to me. I think the City mining sets will do good after EOL. If my prices are correct, the 4202 is $49.99 in TRU Canada, with 40% discount, the set should be around $30.