21021 - Marina Bay Sands and 21057 - Singapore Architecture sets.

Noodlenut

Are you guys familiar with the concept of buying an asset that could appreciate over time? I'm not gonna build it.

Yes, I keep forgetting that a good portion of people aren't here for Lego but money.

So, perhaps you can ask "do you think I can make a good return if I bought this at $400" instead.

In which case, I would say "is an over priced set at $400 going to go up to an ever great over priced set or could you make more money on something that's exciting retail now."

I'd say you'd be better off buying UCS R2-D2's than this.

I think if you're gonna BL it, it's worth getting the nameplate. If you ever want to sell it used, you'll get your money back. Whereas it would be worth less without it, and the price of those nameplates will only go up in the meantime. The price of a used set like that, will usually correlate very closely with it's BL value as long as it's complete.

Neutral as well. Lego Architecture need to start looking at sets that we actual care about:

7-Eleven

Motel 6

The Badda-Bing

Hotel Calfornia

... or a legimately "appealing" architecture theme, like the Seven Wonders of the World. Even on the Robie House, how many people really give a !#@?

• Like 1

As an avenue to draw more AFOL's into the Lego theme, it's a winner. And that helps all of us; investors and fans of Lego alike. 

With the scope of options available from an architectural standpoint, I would say "no thanks". But to each their own. The effort put into this set could be put into a Mayan Ziggurat, Roman Coliseum, Temple of Delphi, Egyptian Pyramid, Babylonian Gardens, Louis the IX's Chateau, Stone Henge, the Library at Alexandria, a portion of the Great Wall of China; there are countless architectural buildings that would draw in a significantly larger adult fan base than most of the shots the Architecture team have fired. The U.******. building looks as boring as it sounds to most new to the theme.

A few epic- truly epic- buildings from the Architecture design team could light a fire for this theme. I wish they would approach this incredible concept with a less niched-perspective, and one that had broader appeal.

Edited by Cross
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
8 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

Sorry newer to this side of things, but do people actually build these exclusives piece by piece and sell them? People don't actually buy them that way do they?

Or are you guys building solely for personal collections?

They are building for personal collection, I would think. People do BL and sell as Used no Instructions no box or New replica. That is why it is good when these sets have exclusive elements like the mini VW beetle.

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=332185949758&globalID=EBAY-US

LEGO Architecture Marina Bay Sands (21021) 

Edited by Pseudoty

3 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

They are building for personal collection, I would think. People do BL and sell as Used no Instructions no box or New replica. That is why it is good when these sets have exclusive elements like the mini VW beetle.

Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=332185949758&globalID=EBAY-US

LEGO Architecture Marina Bay Sands (21021) 

good chance the printed plate is fake considering the manual isn't part of the auction.

the plate is even very  hard to get it through customer service as a replacement part due to the set being very limited.  ...and forgot about finding a manual. Nearly impossible.  I was shocked when a damaged box with mint manual was on eBay 2 years ago for $20ish. I jumped on it and then bricklinked the set. I was very lucky finding a real printed plate.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Can anyone confirm that Lego made only 10,000 of these sets via some sort of press release or webpage that explicitly states that? Everything I've tried to search online in regards to the number of available copies of this set come from various blogs or fan pages, and I haven't been able to find anything "official" from Lego's own website about this set. Given the prices they are going for today, and the limited number of sellers on eBay/Bricklink, I kinda wonder if even 10,000 of these were made... or maybe collectors are hoarding them in their basements ?

30 minutes ago, wxdude said:

Can anyone confirm that Lego made only 10,000 of these sets via some sort of press release or webpage that explicitly states that? Everything I've tried to search online in regards to the number of available copies of this set come from various blogs or fan pages, and I haven't been able to find anything "official" from Lego's own website about this set. Given the prices they are going for today, and the limited number of sellers on eBay/Bricklink, I kinda wonder if even 10,000 of these were made... or maybe collectors are hoarding them in their basements ?

I can confirm they are rare and not hoarded.  A handful of people own them.  I believe they were sold in the hotel's store and maybe some local shops in Singapore.  I bought mine for $150.00 from an eBay seller in Singapore.  I should have bought more.  And yes, they are pricey!

https://www.amazon.com/Lego-Architecture-Marina-Sands-21021/dp/B00G6BIBEE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1546096746&sr=8-4&keywords=marina+bay+sands+lego

4 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I can confirm they are rare and not hoarded.  A handful of people own them.  I believe they were sold in the hotel's store and maybe some local shops in Singapore.  I bought mine for $150.00 from an eBay seller in Singapore.  I should have bought more.  

Thanks Ed for the reply, I certainly do believe they are rare and limited in number. Just curious where the "10,000" came from. Was wondering if it was actually much less. 

10 minutes ago, wxdude said:

Thanks Ed for the reply, I certainly do believe they are rare and limited in number. Just curious where the "10,000" came from. Was wondering if it was actually much less. 

I cannot confirm that number.  It caught most people's attention when they hit around $600.00 after a short period of time.  It's a great set and for those out there who want every Architecture set, this is the price you have to pay.

55 minutes ago, wxdude said:

No idea. I lucked out and had my father in law buy one on Taobao for US$59. I decided to NOT buy multiples...lol. This is up there with my decision to return 10 Black Pearls.

• Sad 2

This set was also available outside Singapore as I was able to get a handful locally. Still kicking myself for selling my first few stocks for around $250 but I would've not known that it would reach $$$$. There's also the threat of LEGO re-releasing the set so I finally let go of my last stock for a decent amount.

10 minutes ago, znjndmawn said:

This set was also available outside Singapore as I was able to get a handful locally. Still kicking myself for selling my first few stocks for around $250 but I would've not known that it would reach $$$$. There's also the threat of LEGO re-releasing the set so I finally let go of my last stock for a decent amount.

I know Lego has re-released several sets in the past, including some in the architecture line... but would it not seem odd to re-release something that is specifically titled "Limited Edition"?

22 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

No idea. I lucked out and had my father in law buy one on Taobao for US$59. I decided to NOT buy multiples...lol. This is up there with my decision to return 10 Black Pearls.

Hindsight is always 20/20 in the Lego investing world :)

2 hours ago, odysea11 said:

This set is in the top two of my Lego bucket list!! I am a bit of a completionist, and this set is the ONLY Architecture set I don't own.  So hard to pull the trigger now....I swayed back and forth at the $300 price tag awhile back...now I'd give $300 in a heartbeat!!

Same here.  I made it to Singapore twice last year and scoured the town looking for a set at a reasonable price and couldn't even find a set.  Too bad I wasn't there a couple years earlier.

• Sad 1