Need train expert - 9467 or 79111 better

BrickPick3r

I agree with HE being the better investment/build overall, but just from the look, I love the Ghost Train. It`s a very good style of train, which makes me unhappy to say that it is unlikely to ever be a big hit. They tend to sit on shelves where I am and not move (I`ve been counting exactly 5 in one store for the last 6-7 months), and from what I`ve read I know I`m not alone on this. Not one has moved, and they are still at retail ($100). If you want to make money, wait for HE to get closer to EOL. If you want to build, I`d go with HE overall as well, unless you are really into the Ghost Train like me. Constitution Train also has a cool look, but I`d only touch that thing on a heavy discount (at least 30% off). 

Guest TabbyBoy

I've only ever bought trains at a large discount for example, 7938 at 45% off and 7939 at 33% off.  The Horizon Express may be a good buy at RRP as it's rarely discounted anywhere but maybe when close to EOL.  However, I don't like it as it's only "half-a-train" and you need 2 for it to look the part.  As others have said, I'll only buy the GT and CTC with a large discount.

Thank you so much for pointing out the horizon express. I've never thought of that. Now I prefer the horizon over those two. It looks way better  :turned:

Horizon Express will in my view provide the best long term profit but I expect you'll have to wait a little longer for EOL. If you are aiming to resell within a year, the Ghost train is more likely to be retired by then.

I expect modest growth for this set though. Out of the three it is the most childish and people who pay top dollar for retired sets are mostly adult fans. Anyway that's my theory because parents buying sets for their kids will just buy whatever's in stores if that's significantly cheaper.

Also keep in mind the constitution is the best starter set of the three, because its the only set with track. The HE is an excellent set and will probably do the best of the three after EOL but is probably a long way from that. The Ghost Train I couldn't bring myself to buy as I have heard so many others have stocked up on them, but my biggest problem with it is the cars have actual wheels instead of train wheels, and goofy couplers. For current investment go with the Constitution as it is a real train, comes with track and is already well below retail at most places.