ebay shipping cost help!

kenchu2000

Hi folks, I need some help.  Basically I sold some stuff over ebay and now couple of the buyers come back to me and tell me that the shipping cost shows up $9 something in the product detail page, but after they won the bid and check out, the shipping cost from the final checkout shows $10 something.  I just checked other recent transactions, it seems like other buyers may have this issue also.

I selected Automatic Calculate and FedEx Economy option when create listing.   Does anyone know why the shipping cost in product detail page is different than the checkout page?   Is it something configurable in listing page?

I tried to contact ebay but I only see the Contact by Phone option, and they are off now.

Thanks in advance.

It might have to do with the actual address you're shipping from/to. Are you using paypal addresses?

Lots of variables can influence postage cost; origin/destination zip codes, weight, parcel size/dimensions, insurance amount.

Many times just increasing one ounce in weight or 1" in parcel dimension can throw you into the next price level for shipping. When you list the item and use ebay's postal (or anyone's postage calculator for that matter) you need to enter the exact parcel specifics.

I rarely trust postal rate calculators that are online. Too many times I've been screwed when I went to the counter to mail the item and the final price was much higher than what the online calculator said it would be. Even postal employees can vary. One counter clerk told me that a certain parcel had to go USPS International priority, no ifs ands or buts. I said bye and came back later to a different clerk and he said no problem, it can go 1st class international. WTF? There is a significant price difference between priority mail international and 1st class international. This is a reason a lot of sellers (including myself) charge a flat rate. It covers unexpected shipping cost increases.

This happens at FedEx locations as well so don't think it's a unique issue to the USPS. If you have any doubt take the parcel to the counter and have them give you an estimate.

I know all this sucks but that's reality of it.

I do it all online. I offer free shipping when possible, but in other instances I let the calculator on Ebay do the job - I have not really ever had teh estimate be wrong, but I always inflate my price just a bit just in case.

Best thing to do is overestimate the weight by a bit. Then they will pay you extra shipping and you can refund the difference instead of having to ask more.