Attack of Weathertop retired yet?

Has this set been officially retired yet?  I am trying to sell for profit but so far no luck.  Looking at ebay recent sold price, it doesn't look good either.  I thought this set will perform well after EOL, I guess not.

I have about 10 sets in hand.  I need to decide to hold them for longer, or return them to Walmart.

Any insights on this set?

You aren't going to sell it at a profit yet when online retailers are still selling sets below retail, and Brick and Mortar stores sometimes have it at huge discounts to move it. I picked up 2@ 30 the other day. I don't think it's officially EOL, but it seems like everyone is trying to move stock for other items at this point.

So in sum, give it time. There's a chance you may see a small profit around the holidays, but to make any decent money, you'd need to hold onto it for at least 6-12 more months, if not more.

It has been retired in the US for a couple months now but even then stores will still carry leftover stock. One of two Walmarts near me has a few left and my Kmart has two sitting on the shelf for their current additional discount event. An item can be retired one day but it still takes a while afterwards for all the ones currently carried by the store to sell out.

EOL is only the beginning of the end; not the actual end.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I was under the impression that this set has already been retired since it can't be found at Target, Walmart, and Lego stores.

I guess I will need to hold them for a bit longer.

I am going to return my 20 sets tommorow. I rather use the money on something better for example fire bridage or SSD. Unless you feel like waiting 1-2 years for maybe double profit ( than there are shipping, paypal, ebay & the risk of shady buyers). So in the end you will make like $5 to $15 on a 1-2 year wait to me its personally not worth it. I could barely sell the weathertop or the minifigures for anything (considering this is a EOL set .. I can sell minifigures foir profit on current sets that are still on store shelfs but not on this  dud) does not seem to be a set in high demand

It has been retired in the US for a couple months now but even then stores will still carry leftover stock. One of two Walmarts near me has a few left and my Kmart has two sitting on the shelf for their current additional discount event. An item can be retired one day but it still takes a while afterwards for all the ones currently carried by the store to sell out.

EOL is only the beginning of the end; not the actual end.

You can still get this set at toysarus USA

I am going to return my 20 sets tommorow. I rather use the money on something better for example fire bridage or SSD. Unless you feel like waiting 1-2 years for maybe double profit ( than there are shipping, paypal, ebay & the risk of shady buyers). So in the end you will make like $5 to $15 on a 1-2 year wait to me its personally not worth it. I could barely sell the weathertop or the minifigures for anything (considering this is a EOL set .. I can sell minifigures foir profit on current sets that are still on store shelfs but not on this  dud) does not seem to be a set in high demand

You would be better off keeping the Weathertops.  You have a better chance of making a profit with these then the Fire Brigade since we know that Weathertop is definitely EOLing.......Fire Brigade might EOL this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hung around through next year.

You would be better off keeping the Weathertops.  You have a better chance of making a profit with these then the Fire Brigade since we know that Weathertop is definitely EOLing.......Fire Brigade might EOL this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hung around through next year.

There really seems to be no interest in the weathertop set. I was thinking about investing in some super hero sets since the new wave will be released soon. Honestly I think the Super Hero minifigures are way cooler than the LOTR but thats just my 2 cents.

There really seems to be no interest in the weathertop set. I was thinking about investing in some super hero sets since the new wave will be released soon. Honestly I think the Super Hero minifigures are way cooler than the LOTR but thats just my 2 cents.

Agreed, the Super Hero sets and minifigures are great in my opinion! 

You can still get this set at toysarus USA

I checked there and for some reason the only option they allow is "Free Store Pickup Today". So they will only ship it to the store nearest you to then go pick it up instead of having it sent to your house. :scratchhead: I wonder how many people have actually done this and then left the item anyway. Amazingly, Toys R Us has a little sale on it as it is now down to $54.98. Wowie, a whole $5.01 below retail. :mda:

I was under the impression that this set has already been retired since it can't be found at Target, Walmart, and Lego stores.

If Lego Shop says "Retired product" and you can't find the page for it in other regions, it's officially done.

Attack on Weathertop page on Lego Shop

bp_1380364640__attack_on_weathertop.jpg

Any store (physical or online) still holding stock will slowly dwindle leaving your very last chance of owning the product. That's the time to pounce if you haven't done so before.

I checked there and for some reason the only option they allow is "Free Store Pickup Today". So they will only ship it to the store nearest you to then go pick it up instead of having it sent to your house. :scratchhead: I wonder how many people have actually done this and then left the item anyway. Amazingly, Toys R Us has a little sale on it as it is now down to $54.98. Wowie, a whole $5.01 below retail. :mda:

If Lego Shop says "Retired product" and you can't find the page for it in other regions, it's officially done.

Attack on Weathertop page on Lego Shop

bp_1380364640__attack_on_weathertop.jpg

Any store (physical or online) still holding stock will slowly dwindle leaving your very last chance of owning the product. That's the time to pounce if you haven't done so before.

Since retirment toysarus still has this set for sale .. im just saying its not a very hot set ... for example the cap cycles once it was retired you knew it was retired 

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12785051&prodFindSrc=search&cp=

That has been on there for a few months after EOL. Either Toysarus has a huge stockpile or nobody wants it

Since retirment toysarus still has this set for sale .. im just saying its not a very hot set ... for example the cap cycles once it was retired you knew it was retired 

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12785051&prodFindSrc=search&cp=

That has been on there for a few months after EOL. Either Toysarus has a huge stockpile or nobody wants it

It isn't that hot of set but it could have more to do with the original price point. At $60, who wanted to buy it? I waited until it went down to $45 at Target before buying one and I'm waiting for Kmart to go half off before getting the last ones there. With Toys R Us listing what they have left at almost retail with such limited options forcing you to pick it up, they may very well hold onto their stock of that until the end of the year unless their current BOGO helps remedy that scenario.

Between the two you mentioned of Attack on Weathertop and Captain America's Avenging Cycle, I could see anyone easily going towards Captain America much as I like Lord of the Rings. The retail felt right for what it is and was cool to boot. Attack on Weathertop could have simply done better if priced more preferably in the beginning. $45-$50 would have probably worked but not $60. I had one leftover Attack on Weathertop at my Walmart for months and it sat there until summer clearance before it finally sold.

Yet you can still get the Cap Cycle in some TRUs and other stores around the world. Not everything completely disappears from the shelves once it goes EOL.

I still loving hearing about how Bri, er, eightbrick found some Dino Attack sets in Japan and those are how old now? Somewhere out there something is still lingering in some places store shelf. There may even be a Viking set....still sealed....perfect box....absolutely spotless.....75% off original retail :drool::haha:

Shoot, look at all the Harry Potter sets people found this year in physical Barnes & Noble stores! Amazing....

Shoot, look at all the Harry Potter sets people found this year in physical Barnes & Noble stores! Amazing....

Or their ebay store.

The Cap set has been easily available for ages but let us also not forget it is Captain America.

The first movie barely scraped in more worldwide than it did in the US. If it weren't for the subtitle "The First Avenger" I doubt it would have even made it that far. The second will be boosted by the Avengers and more worldwide recognition of the character outside of his fan base.