Black Friday

Coming up shortly will be my first Black Friday since becoming an investor/collector. Can anyone who has been in the game longer than I have tell me typically what to expect on this crazy stupid day when it comes to LEGOs........what types of deals, where the best deals usually are ect. Is it even worth going out into the public and dealing with all the lines/crowds?

so what you are saying is that its not worth camping out for 4 days prior???That's what I'm saying. What I'm really saying is to save your money so you are ready for the next non-advertised deal that was like the recent Walmart and Amazon deals last week. Those are the real deals. Black Friday is stock the stores want to unload, not popular LEGO sets. EBAY auction prices drop significantly in January. Get ready to bid on some auctions there as well.

Black Friday is stock the stores want to unload, not popular LEGO sets.

Very true. Every time "Black Friday" is just around the corner, the majority of deals I see in the store flyers is for kitchen appliances, some software, and wierd odd bits. Maybe some old or slow selling LEGO sets, but never seen a new or big seller set go down even a little. Well, maybe a smidge, but hardly enough to make dealing with the crazed mobs worth it.

The best deals are usually after the Christmas season. The downside, if there was a particular set you wanted, it may not be there anymore. However if it is, it'll probably be on sale.

Coming up shortly will be my first Black Friday since becoming an investor/collector. Can anyone who has been in the game longer than I have tell me typically what to expect on this crazy stupid day when it comes to LEGOs........what types of deals, where the best deals usually are ect. Is it even worth going out into the public and dealing with all the lines/crowds?

It really depends on what sets the big box retailers have worked out a deal to get in bulk. The last couple years have been very lackluster sets, but it wasn't long ago that Black Friday had some really good sets at 40-50% off. I don't recall all the exact years these each took place, but around 06' Target had 4504 Falcon for $50. 3 or 4 years ago Target had 6211 Star Destroyer and TRU had 7662 MTT for $50 or $60 each. The year after that Target had 7627 Temple of the Crystal Skull for around $60. I'm guessing that almost anyone would be willing to go out in the madness and scoop up as many of each of those as they possibly could, I know I did. The bottom line is that you just need to keep an eye on the sites that post leaked Black Friday ads so that you can see what will be available. Or you can just wait until the ads come out Thanksgiving day and see if there's anything worth getting.

The LEGO Stores also do various sale items and they have mystery scratcher cards that will give you an unknown discount from 10%-50% off your pruchase. You don't know until you checkout what your discount will be. The only card that the stores will sometimes let you add more items to is the 50% off card (they do limit your total purchase with this card, something around $1,000 after discount). Each store usually gets 2 or 3 of this card out of the hundreds of scratcher cards they get, with most being 10% off. But they also have various items on sale, like a few years ago they had the Pirates Tic Tac Toe set on sale for $4.99. Great price for an easy way to load up on lots of Pirates minifigures.

I echo the watch the sales. Keep an eye out every day, including on LEGO.com. This time of year they always have stuff on sale. I have gotten some great deals the last few years, and frequently on the hard to find items as they go out of production. Ironically I know this because I am at my mother-in-law's house after both holidays and I can only get internet and cell reception in one room in the house. It is very memorable. :)