9391 - Tracked Crane

DoNotInsertIntoMouth

In Quacs Excellent Technic Articles, he went over how well construction sets do:

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-304-lego-technic-investments-on-the-fast-track-or-in-the-shop-part-2/

He also went over this set. I am looking at getting more into the technic theme. I wanted to get some other opinions on the set. It is already doing pretty well on Ebay.

In Quacs Excellent Technic Articles, he went over how well construction sets do:

http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/4/entry-304-lego-technic-investments-on-the-fast-track-or-in-the-shop-part-2/

He also went over this set. I am looking at getting more into the technic theme. I wanted to get some other opinions on the set. It is already doing pretty well on Ebay.

Are you looking to go small or big on these?  I think they will make an excellent investment piece, but you will have to hold for a long time.  This could be on retail shelves for 1-2 more years, and after that you'll need more time for it to mature. 

I would keep it on your radar for a next year purchase unless there's some ridiculous deal you get on these (half off would be a starting point).  At a minimum, it should be around next year (although I'm speculating on its life span).  I think the presence of tracks and the fact it's a crane will really drive demand once it retires.

*EDIT* - I just checked Brickset and noticed this was released at the beginning of 2012 and not 2013.  Now IS this time to invest in this one, I may pick up a few, too!  Here's a link to Amazon UK right now - order two and you can get them for $23 each,  slightly better than S@H (if ordering less than $75).  Order more and your per set price will go down.

Link

• 4 months later...

I have the opportunity to pick some up at $25 CAN. Worth it do you guys think? Normally I`d say yes, but I`m asking in comparison to many of the other sets currently available. What do you think?  :twitch:

This thread seems to have died before we got very many opinions on it  :laugh:

I have the opportunity to pick some up at $25 CAN. Worth it do you guys think? Normally I`d say yes, but I`m asking in comparison to many of the other sets currently available. What do you think?  :twitch:

This thread seems to have died before we got very many opinions on it  :laugh:

I love it - I have 30. Its creeping towards 40$ US already and its technically not retired. I think it has a pretty high ceiling too - maybe $60 - $70.

• Like 1

Now if you really want some money - make some room for the 42009. That thing is one of the surest bets there is.

If anyone has the TRU 20% off coupon, it stacks with the $15 off $50 promotion, bringing this guy to $177 plus tax.  Still a nice discount off MSRP of $220 (TRU's price is $240).  The only issue is this will be around for at least this year, and maybe longer as it was introduced mid-2013.

Damn, the old thread dig got me!  Went to the Amazon link to check it out and saw it was sold out and thought damn the BP effect was fast this time - then saw the post dates, lol.

I missed out on getting a few of these last year.  Could be a good one to keep in mind when hunting random stores for leftovers.

If anyone has the TRU 20% off coupon, it stacks with the $15 off $50 promotion, bringing this guy to $177 plus tax.  Still a nice discount off MSRP of $220 (TRU's price is $240).  The only issue is this will be around for at least this year, and maybe longer as it was introduced mid-2013.

Yeah, I am hoping that at some point when TRU has is at actual MSRP, use the coupon (assuming that the trick with having at least one regular price item still works) to get a few. And really tempted to build one (and I try hard not to get into building)

• Like 1

I see it realistically being around for another two to three years, it's barely been out six months

I love it - I have 30. Its creeping towards 40$ US already and its technically not retired. I think it has a pretty high ceiling too - maybe $60 - $70.

Dude, that`s quite a few! Nice!

I agree with DNIIM.  Technic cranes are great investments - small or large, they bring nice returns.

Thanks you guys for the advice!  :thumbsup:

That large Technic Crane really caught my attention as well. It`s a monster, in a good way of course  :good:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been grabbing these at $12.48 CDN at TRU because of the price match at from LEGO Shop at Home price. Missed out on a few bigger sets because the discounted price is no longer advertised on the website, so no price match. So this could disappear soon for 9391 as well.

Had to leave behind 4 of these at one store yesterday because the manager would not move on the price match even after showing her the website and receipt of the discount from another TRU, lol!