TRU Purchasing Limits?

justgod

I was at TRU yesterday picking up a few polybags. I am always in there checking stuff on my rounds so they know me quite well. I was informed that word had come from corporate stating that they now have a purchase limit of 10 of any one item. She (the manager) advised me it had something to do with resellers. Not there is ever a real opportunity to buy 10 of ANYTHING there, but I am wondering if this ultimately came directly from LEGO.

If the purchasing limits at TRU is true, then Lego is actually getting stricter about there purchasing limits. I wouldn't be surprised if this started to happen in other stores that sell Lego sets like Target, Walmart, and many other stores. If they are enforcing limits in Lego stores, then other stores will probably follow, only because they are being told to by Lego. IMO, I think the limit came directly from Lego.

Interesting. I've never been in on the secret retail negotiations that go on in cases like these, but Lego does have to actually negotiate - Walmart, Target, and TRU are all heavy hitters who can't necessarily be pushed around to Lego's every whim, unless Lego is truly prepared to yank the resellers agreement and some very lucrative contracts.

Since LEGO is probably one of Target, Walmart, and TRU's popular items in the toys section (obvious from the aisles dedicated to only LEGO products), I'm not surprised that LEGO is asking them to crack down on their customers. The big box retailers already get a very respectable amount of cash from selling LEGO's, it's only natural that they would comply, as it is a major money-maker.

Since LEGO is probably one of Target, Walmart, and TRU's popular items in the toys section (obvious from the aisles dedicated to only LEGO products), I'm not surprised that LEGO is asking them to crack down on their customers. The big box retailers already get a very respectable amount of cash from selling LEGO's, it's only natural that they would comply, as it is a major money-maker.

I agree. Lego can do that, but will those limits ever be enforced? It is very hard to enforce a big policy like that to all the employes in the store, let alone in all the different stores. Because of that, I think that there will be some stores with some employes that will not enforce the limit.

I agree. Lego can do that, but will those limits ever be enforced? It is very hard to enforce a big policy like that to all the employes in the store, let alone in all the different stores. Because of that, I think that there will be some stores with some employes that will not enforce the limit.

Sure, there will be loopholes and exceptions and places where the limit will not be enforced as strongly as TLG wants. I think that they are primarily just trying to send their target a message - They don't appreciate large scale resellers. IMO, they are just trying to stop the "big guns" from getting too big. Small time resellers or collectors of MISB sets don't bother LEGO very much, I think.

Either way, this new policy shouldn't impact you very much, as long as you are wise with when, where, and what you buy. No more than a handful of larger sets, and a few more of smaller ones, like Battle Packs.

Sure, there will be loopholes and exceptions and places where the limit will not be enforced as strongly as TLG wants. I think that they are primarily just trying to send their target a message - They don't appreciate large scale resellers. IMO, they are just trying to stop the "big guns" from getting too big. Small time resellers or collectors of MISB sets don't bother LEGO very much, I think.

Either way, this new policy shouldn't impact you very much, as long as you are wise with when, where, and what you buy. No more than a handful of larger sets, and a few more of smaller ones, like Battle Packs.

I agree. The objective is trying to stop the large scale investors from getting larger. But I do not see the limits as a problem. If you buy a few different sets here and there at different stores then they will not notice. It is buying a large number of sets that they want to stop.

I had no problems this afternoon. Was not a Lego purchase, but still no issues.

However, the guy checking me out was the TRU manager who I have a pretty good relationship with as I have bought tons of stuff there and he has hooked me up several times. Not sure that he would have said something if there were limits (I didn't want to ask and take a chance on someone deciding to enforce them). 

I will be over there again in a few days I am sure so I will be sure to directly ask him provided I am not buying 10 of anything. lol

I am banned from buying on TRU's eBay site. I have made one purchase of 5 items and they shipped it but the next time I tried to buy I was blocked with a message saying I had been banned. Very odd since literally it was my first ever purchase on eBay from them. I am fine buying on their site still.

I am banned from buying on TRU's eBay site. I have made one purchase of 5 items and they shipped it but the next time I tried to buy I was blocked with a message saying I had been banned. Very odd since literally it was my first ever purchase on eBay from them. I am fine buying on their site still.

That is very interesting. If you don't mind, can you tell us what you bought. Maybe it was the item you bought that got you banned.

I went back last night to pick up another 10. There were 14 there, so I took all of them to the register. The lady who rang me up obviously had no idea about the purchase limit and allowed me take them all.

I think this whole thing is interesting. Why a limit of 10? Who really buys that much? Next time I am there, I will talk to the store manager because I do not know if the memo they received was regarding LEGO or all products.