Error Bricks

comicblast

So I recently acquired a used 7150 TIE Fighter & Y-Wing set, and was putting them together to figure out what pieces were missing. While I was putting together the TIE, I came across a funny looking piece...

post-5354-0-83863600-1377639035_thumb.jp

post-5354-0-01390700-1377639052_thumb.jp

post-5354-0-77355800-1377639067_thumb.jp

post-5354-0-90309500-1377639074_thumb.jp

Knowing my LEGO bricks, I knew that this one had to be a mistake. I won't be sending this one back to LEGO, as it is obviously a very rare occassion, but I'm curious if this has ever happened to anyone else. 

My guess is that the plastic injector ran out of plastic, so the mold wasn't completely filled. Enjoy the pictures!!

(Anyone notice my play with the title? EuroBricks, Error Bricks? Haha.)

Maybe that brick was damaged by its previous owner. It looks like it melted. Weird. Cool and inconvenient at the same time.

I doubt it. The piece and most of the others in the set have a the glossy feeling of new/near new condition pieces, so I know that the piece is authentic. Also, the pieces are REALLY clean for a 14 year old set, making me think that the first owner gave up on the set after seeing the messed up piece. At this point though, I can only guess.

I will also add that the pieces don't have anything extra, they are just missing plastic. If it was melted, then it would probably have some globs of plastic or something... :question:

Guest eightbrick

I've seen this before with a 1x6 white plate I got in a set a long time ago (2005 or 06 I think). It came like that right out of box. It's probably just an injection mold error, not enough ABS got into the mold or something. I wouldn't worry about it just send Lego a damaged part claim here: https://service.lego.com/en-US/replacementparts/#BasicInfo Good luck and 1+ for the little title pun! :D

Guest eightbrick

That sounds very interesting. Please show a picture of it somewhere.

Yeah. If that was a coin it would be worth like 1000% more than the normal version LOL

Guest eightbrick

I know. I have seen some US $1 bills that are errors go for $1000 - $10,000.

Coin collectors are strange people. (This is totally not an ironic statement on a forum of people obsessed with Lego. Totally.) :D