Unimog U400 vs. Mobile Crane MKII

kenchu2000

If I have around $400 budget, which one of the followings would most likely has bigger return in a long run?

2 x Unimog U400

2 x Mobile Crane MKII

or

1 x Unimog plus 1 Mobile Crane MKII

or should I just spend the budget on the Haunted House + Tower Bridge instead?  

What do you guys think?

Guest TabbyBoy

I'd go TB and HH (already have!).  I don't think Technic has the same potential as it used to apart from 41999 unless you get a massive discount.  I have a Unimog that I got for half price on eBay but, I just got impatient and built it.  It'll be sold by Xmas.

I would go with the 2 x Unimog over the cranes as It is probably going to retire first.  Plus is is the set that lower numbers exist in investors closets so that over the TB and HH (plus it might EOL before them as well).  I'd hold off on buying anything until closer to EOL dates though, unless you can find a very good discount somewhere.

The technic sets like e creator sets are a niche market and each has eit plus and minuses. I am a Technic fan, so I would say get the unimog and the crane. They do have a future return like all the larger sets, there are not as man Tecnic sets released as the other sets.

Ever way, you should make a return, it is unknown as to when or how much, unfortunately TLG hasn't released their crystal ball set!

2 x Unimogs all the way with me, this 2000+ piece set has so much going for it and has a good chance of outperforming the 8043 within a year of EOL.

• Biggest technic set available.
  • Piece count compiled of decent sized elements (not just a shed load of pin joiners)
  • Licensed through Mercedes
  • Multiple power functions
  • Pneumatics (increasingly rare, could this be the last set to use them instead of PF actuators?)
  • Nearly 3 years old now and top contender for Technic EOL.

I've nothing against the HH or TB but I do believe this set will have the most people wanting to spend the most cash on it within the next 12-18months.

Stu

Sorry, getting ahead of myself a little there, still the most likely for EOL specially with the latest wave of big technic sets now filling the shelf space.

Interesting point made about the Technic sets being more popular in Europe, is this a general trend or just with licenses like Mercedes and Ferrari?

Stu

Every time I've posted anything Technic, whether it's new, used, or spare parts, I've always had buyers ask about international shipping. So I speak mostly from personal experience. I don't know for a fact if my experience reflects the whole market. But I have heard several times from other members and sites that such is the case.