Assuming it completes a set, what is the most you would pay for one lego piece (non-minifigure)?

I was thinking about Bricklinking a 10179 at one point, and if you don't know, the Lattice pieces in the back cost about $320 for ONE PIECE of Lego.

What do you think? What is the most you would pay for one piece to complete a set? 

I would just use a substitute. Assuming it didn't make a huge difference, I would spend maybe $20 on one piece before I went elsewhere.

What about you all?

I was thinking about Bricklinking a 10179 at one point, and if you don't know, the Lattice pieces in the back cost about $320 for ONE PIECE of Lego.

What do you think? What is the most you would pay for one piece to complete a set? 

I would just use a substitute. Assuming it didn't make a huge difference, I would spend maybe $20 on one piece before I went elsewhere.

What about you all?

$320 for one?? - 

i thought there was one on ebay for $300 for the pair.

either way, i think if it was a rare piece, i would want to pay at least 10 - 15% under market

It depends on how much I like the set.  So far the most expensive piece I have paid for is the white futuristic wheel in 10134 (UCS Y-Wing).  I paid like $50 a piece.  Luckily I needed just one wheel, not two.  I would use subsituite if I could, but this futuristic wheel is not easy to be subsituted.

If it's for a MoC then not so much, maybe $10 tops.  If it's for a set I'll most likely have factored in the missing piece cost into the decision to buy/sell the set somehow and go for the original piece no matter the cost.  I have to have a 100% complete genuine set for anything I have in my own collection.

• 1 month later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

$20 top for a piece.  Those pieces are almost never seen when you display the set.  It's to heavy to "play" with and pretty big most likely backed in some where.   Ours is on it's own table but you still never see the back.  It's like spending 20,000 on spinning rims.  

Depends what you want to do with the set after you BrickLink it. If you plan on selling it, you should get the legit stuff. If you aren't and are having it for personal use, I'd go with the cheaper one/substitue. Most I'd ever pay for a single piece is $50 probably.

I agree that you should go for the legit piece if you are trying to resell the set, but sometimes I would want to have a set complete for myself. If it was a giant set like the 10179, or the Taj Mahal, I would only go with the cheaper substitute piece, if it was not visible on the outside, when being displayed. But then again, I always want my sets complete.

I would try to get the pieces In a bulk lot that someone is selling. Often you can find valuable pieces that way. But it is a bit pot luck.

Unless you are looking for a specific color, then it's never there. I need a bunch of dark red pieces and they are only on a handful of sets - including a few HP sets that I'm trying to finish.

You guys are also ignoring the most important part... I don't mind spending 2-3$ on a specific piece to finish a set, but having to spend another 5$ to have them ship it? Outrageous.