Retired POTC Set

turbomattk

Ditto. They are listed for that or less on eBay. No money to be made.

I'm going to go against the grain a little here in terms of POTC. If you find POTC discounted then there is money to be made. The Whitecap Bay set for example was a considered a fair disaster yet it has been making it's way back up in price, rising 27.45% in the past 6 months. In fact the past 6 months:

4181 Isla De Muerta  +22.36% (46.72% overall increase)

4182 Cannibal Escape  +25.33% (-12.57% overall decrease)

4183 The Mill +4.77% (-18.1% overall decrease)

4191 Captains Cabin +2.15% (23.1% overall increase)

4192 Fountain of Youth +24.29% (46.67% overall increase)

4193 London Escape +13.55% (-14.32% overall decrease)

4194 Whitecap Bay +27.45% (-13.35% overall decrease)

There DEFINITELY is money to be made in POTC outside of the ships.
  • Like 1

I'm going to go against the grain a little here in terms of POTC. If you find POTC discounted then there is money to be made. The Whitecap Bay set for example was a considered a fair disaster yet it has been making it's way back up in price, rising 27.45% in the past 6 months. In fact the past 6 months:

I agree that there is money to be made other than the ships, but you have to find the set at a good price, and the set has to be in good condition. They are making a strong comeback in the last six months, but most of the sets are still valued below their retail price.

I agree that there is money to be made other than the ships, but you have to find the set at a good price, and the set has to be in good condition. They are making a strong comeback in the last six months, but most of the sets are still valued below their retail price.

Of course they are, but I was refuting the comment there was no money to be made. I am not suggesting buy retail (though in the case of some sets that would be a bargain) but considering how low some of these sets went, all POTC are making strong gains now from where they plummeted to.

I`m going to go out on a bit of a limb and say that eventually these sets will be worth a fair amount of money overall. With the new movie coming out, combined with the likelihood that Lego will not make any more, I see potential for them all. If the movie bombs, there is little hope, but if it does as well as the last one, we have to see some kind of rise in value overall. Wouldn`t make any sense otherwise. Many are pretty cool, well made sets as well. Captain`s Cabin was horrible however. That said, the Atlantis sets were pretty cool and judging from how they looked overall, seemed to hold a lot of potential. But everyone knows how they did...... :cheese:

I was able to get Whitecap Bay for $50, hoping it will get just a bit above original retail and get rid of it.  The ships are amazing, I hate selling them as they would look so good on a mantle at home.

One of my TRU still has a Whitecap Bay for $96... fail...

I`m going to go out on a bit of a limb and say that eventually these sets will be worth a fair amount of money overall. With the new movie coming out, combined with the likelihood that Lego will not make any more, I see potential for them all. If the movie bombs, there is little hope, but if it does as well as the last one, we have to see some kind of rise in value overall. Wouldn`t make any sense otherwise. Many are pretty cool, well made sets as well. Captain`s Cabin was horrible however. That said, the Atlantis sets were pretty cool and judging from how they looked overall, seemed to hold a lot of potential. But everyone knows how they did...... :cheese:

I agree, this theme might have longer legs than we think. Although whitecap bay catches my eye now and then, I haven't bought anything but the ships. But I paid over retail for 2 of each so I decided I've got enough money into the theme already.

I love the theme for my personal collection and have every set. With as popular as the movies were, I'm not sure why these aren't more popular as investments. I do think they'll rebound at least some as they've been trending up lately. The next year will tell as the last stragglers sell out.

• 11 months later...

Just to revisit.... first number is the last 12 months gain according to US Brickpicker...

You are welcome :)

4181 Isla De Muerta  +45.29% (+105.10% overall increase)

4182 Cannibal Escape  +36.98% (+25.98% overall increase)

4183 The Mill +24.24% (+16.90% overall increase)

4191 Captains Cabin +32.12% (+78.40% overall increase)

4192 Fountain of Youth +27.02% (+81.54% overall increase)

4193 London Escape +43.76% (+17.90% overall increase)

4194 Whitecap Bay +22.47% (+3.69% overall increase)

• Like 2