Polybags - general discussion

Any polybaggers around here?  

362 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a polybag collector?

• I am a serious polybag collector and must have at least one for my personal collection.
    • I am a casual polybag collector and only buy what I like.
    • I do not collect polybags.
  2. 2. Do you invest in polybags?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

How are you fellow Canucks shipping polybags domestically and internationally? I shipped one today and Canada Post charged me $8.03 to ship to California in a bubble mailer that was approx 6"x8". I see tons of eBay listings for $3 shipping and it just doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

If the envelope fits through their 2 cm mail slot you'll get charged letter post (about $2.00 domestically and about $4.00 to the USA). If it doesn't fit through the slot you'll pay "small parcel" fees which are more.  My office has a plastic mail slot bar that you can test your package in to ensure it fits through. a figure/polybag set SHOULD fit through.  Sometimes I have to shake the mailer slightly to shuffle the pieces in the right way to get it to fit if I'm mailing say a 30-50 piece polybag.  I hope this is helpful.

So do you put it through the slot yourself? My local post office guy did his own test behind the counter and wouldn't accept it at cheaper rate. Bubble mailers are practically 1cm without anything in them!

*edit - do you use bubble mailers or envelopes?*

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

So do you put it through the slot yourself? My local post office guy did his own test behind the counter and wouldn't accept it at cheaper rate. Bubble mailers are practically 1cm without anything in them!

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

Well I can test it or they test it for me.  They know me well so sometimes I test it and sometimes they do it.  If it doesn't fit through they won't accept it as letter mail. yes a mailer can be almost a cm, but very few lego pieces or figure are 1 cm in width on their own, so if the pieces sit right it will fit.  Some post offices can be more forgiving then others.  Sometimes they might have to force it through the slot in which it's their call. (from my experience) 

I've been able to ship a 130pc Mandalorian battle pack (no box obviously) in a bubble mailer that just managed to fit through the slot!  Thats my personal record lol

I find the poly 5" x 10" bubble mailers are the most effective for size, and they're incredible thin but protect your item well (about 1/2 cm in height.. Lots of good bulk deals on ebay for these, so you could get them as cheap as 30 cents each if you buy a lot of 40 or 50.

edit: i definitely use bubble mailers, never envelopes

Never ship with an envelope... Lego pieces are hard, with sharp edges, which will rip right through the envelope... someone shipped loose pieces to me that way... the mailman was nice enough to tape my envelope up, but still lost a couple of pieces.

As for shipping, I've had similar experiences with Hansolo55, never had issues with polys being charged 1.90... but never ship Lego Friends Animals in a bubble mailer expecting to pay 1.90. I was charged over 14 to ship 3 in a bubble mailer because it was 2.5cm thick... they have less wiggle room so you can shift the pieces around whereas polys have much more room to shift the pieces around.

edit: i definitely use bubble mailers, never envelopes

That's what I thought, but just thought I'd clarify!

I think my post office guys was just a moron now that I think of it. His "test slot" required him to hold the bubble mailer vertically and obviously all the Lego pieces would fall down and make the bottom of the mailer thicker.

I think I'm going to order a bulk pack of mailer from eBay. Locally the cheapest I found was a $1 per mailer from Staples which isn't so cheap.

Never ship with an envelope... Lego pieces are hard, with sharp edges, which will rip right through the envelope... someone shipped loose pieces to me that way... the mailman was nice enough to tape my envelope up, but still lost a couple of pieces.

As for shipping, I've had similar experiences with Hansolo55, never had issues with polys being charged 1.90... but never ship Lego Friends Animals in a bubble mailer expecting to pay 1.90. I was charged over 14 to ship 3 in a bubble mailer because it was 2.5cm thick... they have less wiggle room so you can shift the pieces around whereas polys have much more room to shift the pieces around.

Luckily I don't invest in Friends stuff at all then. :)

Thanks for the input guys, lesson learned. Show the postal worker that it fits myself and don't even let them try their own stupid slot.

Seapotato would be an 'expert' on this topic :) 

Personally I've only shipped a few minifigs/polybags like TC 14's.  I use the small bubble/flexible envelopes looking things...or I guess it's a bag.  If it's light enough they will just charge you regular letter.  Once I wanted it insured but would turn into a parcel and delivery is like +$8 vs $2 or whatever a normal letter costs.  Not worth it.  'Small' net cash returns on regular minifigs so not worth paying extra as a parcel with insurance...take my chances with regular letter. 

If the minifig/polybag is worth +$60 than I might have it shipped as parcel with included insurance (IMHO).  Yeah, I have no idea how some sellers can charge so little for minifigs with free shipping included.         

• Like 1

Lol, expert at accidentally paying too much maybe haha.

Yep, what everyone said above. I use a bubble mailer, and as long as it fits into the slot thing they use to test at the post office, the costs should be as follows:

Within Canada - $1.80
USA - $3.98
International - $6.51

I reuse a lot of bubble envelopes I get so I just cut it and tape the ends. I've never had any minifig or polybag get lost (yet!). I've mailed envelopes that fit a DVD (whatever size that is) and it's still the same price, weight dependent. I have never insured any of them because it adds another $10 or something to it and it's not worth it!

Be careful of polybags that have a lot of air in it - one of the mini VW campers I mailed out ended up costing me almost $14 because it didn't fit the slot ;(

Edit: I have seen the "bag" like envelopes before but haven't seem them sold anywhere. I have mailed lapel pins with a regular envelope in the past and it's just regular postage (which is 85cents now I believe), so I don't think a minifig would be much different. Make sure not to use the paper ones though as the figs will poke holes in the envelope and fall out.

Amazon also sells bulk mailers that comes out to somewhere around 25-50 cents after shipping.

If you get your hands a large bubble mailer, you can cut it up to make several envelopes! But this takes more time and tape since you need to make sure to tape up the edges. Definitely not as fast as just peeling off the sticker and sealing.

That's what I thought, but just thought I'd clarify!

I think my post office guys was just a moron now that I think of it. His "test slot" required him to hold the bubble mailer vertically and obviously all the Lego pieces would fall down and make the bottom of the mailer thicker.

I think I'm going to order a bulk pack of mailer from eBay. Locally the cheapest I found was a $1 per mailer from Staples which isn't so cheap.

Luckily I don't invest in Friends stuff at all then. :)

Thanks for the input guys, lesson learned. Show the postal worker that it fits myself and don't even let them try their own stupid slot.

I went to Canada post near my home and the staff said my bubble mailer needed to be shipped as parcel.  Then I brought my bubble mailer to Canada post near my office and the staff charged me $1.80 plus taxes. 

Are you in GTA?  I usually mail my package to a shipping company that delivers my package to USPS at night.  It is better than Canada post as I can provide tracking number to my customer.  The only concern is I can

Lol, expert at accidentally paying too much maybe haha.

Yep, what everyone said above. I use a bubble mailer, and as long as it fits into the slot thing they use to test at the post office, the costs should be as follows:

Within Canada - $1.80

USA - $3.98

International - $6.51

I reuse a lot of bubble envelopes I get so I just cut it and tape the ends. I've never had any minifig or polybag get lost (yet!). I've mailed envelopes that fit a DVD (whatever size that is) and it's still the same price, weight dependent. I have never insured any of them because it adds another $10 or something to it and it's not worth it!

Be careful of polybags that have a lot of air in it - one of the mini VW campers I mailed out ended up costing me almost $14 because it didn't fit the slot ;(

Edit: I have seen the "bag" like envelopes before but haven't seem them sold anywhere. I have mailed lapel pins with a regular envelope in the past and it's just regular postage (which is 85cents now I believe), so I don't think a minifig would be much different. Make sure not to use the paper ones though as the figs will poke holes in the envelope and fall out.

Quoted for truth!  I use CD sized bubble mailers (not sure on exact dimensions) and mail regular airmail at the same rates as seapotato said.  They fit a single polybag (and other flat pieces/minifigs perfectly. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love polybags!

The polybags I love most are "capital" class starships from Star-Wars because you can get a bunch free/cheap and build a huge fleet of ships and make huge space battle-scenes with dozens of ships.  Lots of fun!

I bought 3 polybag Republic Cruiser (30053) and 2 Star Destroyers (30056) at Brickworld yesterday and they are currently fighting for supremacy on my desktop!

Personally I hope the Star Destroyers win; I've always been an Imperial Navy lackey at heart.

I will be picking these up on massive clearance from the themes represented in my portfolio. I will be using them for the sole purpose of sales promotions later. I need to find somemore on depp discount. If it worls for lego to drive sales it will work for me as well. People love free stuff, so along with their retired lego set they will get a retired polybag as well, ehile supplies last of course.

I like polybags. They aren't that expensive and if you buy a popular theme it seems like you will be able to make some $$$ off of it. I am still new to collecting and investing so I haven't been able to flip any polybags yet. I am assuming I will make a nice little profit once they go eol but I'll have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

I love polybags!

The polybags I love most are "capital" class starships from Star-Wars because you can get a bunch free/cheap and build a huge fleet of ships and make huge space battle-scenes with dozens of ships. Lots of fun!

I bought 3 polybag Republic Cruiser (30053) and 2 Star Destroyers (30056) at Brickworld yesterday and they are currently fighting for supremacy on my desktop!

Personally I hope the Star Destroyers win; I've always been an Imperial Navy lackey at heart.

If they made enough of them you could make an awesome chess set.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello new to this site and was wondering on what the shipping costs were to ship polybags and how others shipped polybags.

And when shipping them out do you need to pay for tracking?

Use online postage for discounts - if you're selling on eBay, you can just use eBay shipping. Good discounts, very simple to use.

Yes, you need tracking, unless you enjoy getting defect strikes against you (eBay or Amazon) for "not delivered", and giving things away for free.

• Like 1