TOYS R US is garbage!

stephen_rockefeller

My assumption is that mark up based on what they think the market will support. Mark up the more popular lines some percentage (appears to be about 20%), but leave the less popular lines closer to standard prices. A couple examples are Star Wars, where all the sets appear to be marked up, and Pharoah's Quest where some sets had no markup. Most people will pay the extra for the convenience of shopping at TRU, or will not research this at all and just pay without thinking. I believe the expensive sets, like the Death Star and Superstar Destroyer do not get the same markup because they are not typically sold in stores and they are so expensive that people will shop around before buying. For example, a parent might pay $20 more for a $100 item if they wanted to run out and pick it up, but if they have to order a $400 item they will not want to pay an extra 10 or 20 percent. Of course, this is all just guesswork on my part based on a limited amount of experience in retail, and not based on any hard knowledge. How different can auto parts be from LEGOs? :-)

I really want to get in on that promo they have going on, but I am probaly not because it highly irritates me that they sell stuf higher than MSRP.

God isn't that truth...

I honestly have no idea how the heck they've been able to stay in business this long with the way they markup everything.

The only reason I've ever ordered from them is for certain sets I can't get at other stores.

Something else that's annoyed me as well, is the fact that I've seen some of their 'exclusives' at other stores!

What was very unfair is that the prices were all equal to LEGO retail prices earlier in the day. I bought six sets and each was their proper price. Sometime during the early afternoon, they jacked up those prices $20-$40 each, making them way higher than MSRP. They must have hit their quota and then decided to jack them all up. Very annoying, but to those who got the deal, it was a very good one.

I shop there enough that I got them to match prices at Target and still got the buy 2 get 1 free. I dropped some serious change but what a great deal!!!!! I do know what you are talking about though. Depending on who is working seems to depend whether I can get them to match MSRP at the other major retailers.

With the new jacked up prices, I wonder how much the discount turns out to be with the b2g1 free. Is it really a deal?

It might take a little work, but you can mix and match some sets and still get some good deals. They might not be the exact sets you want, but sometimes it's good to diversify.