How much for bulk Lego in gallon bags?

We have a Goodwill Outlet where you pay by the pound.  Every so often, you can get a buttload of loose LEGO for anywhere from 1.59/.99 or .79 a lb depending on how much weight you have.  Some decent stuff too...got (on a quick look...haven't put it together yet) most of the main parts to 3182 the other day.

Guest eightbrick

We have a Goodwill Outlet where you pay by the pound.  Every so often, you can get a buttload of loose LEGO for anywhere from 1.59/.99 or .79 a lb depending on how much weight you have.  Some decent stuff too...got (on a quick look...haven't put it together yet) most of the main parts to 3182 the other day.

Interesting. I don't really know if I would go to a thrift shop to buy Lego to resell, but for personal collecting it sounds like a good idea. Does Lego get sold pretty fast once it comes in?

Interesting. I don't really know if I would go to a thrift shop to buy Lego to resell, but for personal collecting it sounds like a good idea. Does Lego get sold pretty fast once it comes in?

As far as I can tell they go quickly.  At the regular Goodwills in my area, I've come across some nice complete sets....usually for 4.00 and under. This Goodwill Outlet is a bit different in that every hour and a half, they wheel out all of the merchandise (they have everything in these huge bins) and wheel in a whole new bunch (about 50 bins)....if there are LEGOS, they don't last.  I was there the other day and there were two bins that had big tote sized piles of LEGO in them ( I guess they dump them out before they bring them out on the floor).....people were scooping up the piles as quickly as they could.

It's nice in that you get a whole lot of LEGO for a very cheap price...and you get some nice pieces.  From the piles that I've gotten...I've gotten stuff(mainly complete) as varied as the CITY Airport, SpongeBob Rocket Ride, CITY Corner, a Watto Minifigure from WATTO's JUNKYARD, the vehicles from BATMAN 7885 and just lbs. of various pieces and minifigures. 

I don't know if you know....but GOODWILL has an auction website of their own where they also put a lot of stuff.....SHOPGOODWILL.COM

Guest eightbrick

Thanks for the website link and insight, scuttfarkas. I'll check out that website right now. EDIT: That site looks fantastic, some great prices there. Pity they only ship to the US.

I don't know if you know....but GOODWILL has an auction website of their own where they also put a lot of stuff.....SHOPGOODWILL.COM

I've been on that site many times (for non-Lego stuff), and they always have big bins/boxes of Legos up for auction, and the price gets driven up fast--especially any that have Star Wars in them. My only hesitation on bidding on any of them is the shipping/handling cost, which always seems horrendous to me (on non-Lego stuff too--I've passed on many a drool-worthy item because of the additional S/**** cost). I guess you'd just have to take that S/**** into account when using the price per pound method.