10019 - Rebel Blockade Runner

Sure...could be real.  If he sells it on Ebay he has to deal with fees, plus the funds wouldn't be in his bank for like 2 weeks (1 week auction, plus the time to transfer to bank) as well as the possiblilty that HE gets scammed.  Some people will put a premium on cash in hand.  Or...maybe he doesn't know how to sell on Ebay (some people seem to think it's really hard for whatever reason).

Why would a person sell it for half its current value?  Sounds like a scam unless you can pick it up in person.

Maybe the person does not know what it is worth. I had the same type of situation. A person was selling me four Star Wars Episode II sets for $50. He wouldn't negotiate, but I still bought it. When I found Brickpicker, those four sets plus the bulk lot were worth over $500. Pretty good deal. Good thing he didn't know the value or I would have paid a lot more. Sometimes it is good when a person does not know the value of the set. 

Why would a person sell it for half its current value?  Sounds like a scam unless you can pick it up in person.

If I do it, I will be picking it up in person.  But I think I'd rather be scammed than murdered.  In-person CL exchanges scare the bejeebies out of me. One of the disadvantages of being a 5'4" female, I guess. . . . 

You still have to wait days for funds to clear from Paypal to your bank?

It takes literally 2 hours over here now

Yeah...like 3 to 4 business days. Unless I am doing something wrong (which no doubt is a possibility).  We also have a $500/month limit, which I had removed from my earlier paypal account...but sadly no need to do it for my new one. 

By the way...going to see Roger Hodgson on Sunday!!!!!!!

If I do it, I will be picking it up in person.  But I think I'd rather be scammed than murdered.  In-person CL exchanges scare the bejeebies out of me. One of the disadvantages of being a 5'4" female, I guess. . . . 

Yes.  Be careful and take a friend...or agree to meet at a starbucks and buy them a coffee or something...but then they might think it's a date, so scratch that idea.  Take a friend.

Yeah...like 3 to 4 business days. Unless I am doing something wrong (which no doubt is a possibility).  We also have a $500/month limit, which I had removed from my earlier paypal account...but sadly no need to do it for my new one. 

By the way...going to see Roger Hodgson on Sunday!!!!!!!

Sucks having to wait 4 days.

Why the limit, are you not fully verified?

lol @ Roger Hodgson, forgot about him.

Is it at the Pacific Amphitheatre?

Sucks having to wait 4 days.

Why the limit, are you not fully verified?

lol @ Roger Hodgson, forgot about him.

Is it at the Pacific Amphitheatre?

Yep.  Been a Supertramp fan for a while...but not really my type of music oddly enough.

Not sure why the limit.  Maybe as a protection, similar to limits they have for ATM cards.  It is easy enough to have it lifted, but like I said, never had a reason to on this account.   I am fully verified. 

I think the way to go is the Paypal debit card to be honest...feels like it's free money when you generated it off of your Ebay sales!

Sorry everyone, feel like I took this discussion sideways...Coneil21 BE CAREFUL.

Make sure you do the exchange in a public place.  The deal smells fishy.  Obviously, they know to sell it for $400...why not $600 or $700?  Even with fees on eBay, they could sell that for an easy $600 in an hour or two.  It takes about 5 minutes to find the value of a LEGO set, even to the laymen out there.  You know the old saying about a deal being too good to be true, that might apply here.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

If you're worried about getting scammed in person. Let the person know you'd like to provide a bill of sale which would include a driver's license number. Most normal people wouldn't have a problem with this and if they do it might be a red flag.

I really like this idea.  The sellers reaction for such info should tell you if they're legit or not.  I'm going to steal this idea thanks.

• 4 years later...