Selling on Amazon

I was hoping someone could give me some insight into selling new in box lego sets on amazon. I am very familiar with selling on ebay, but was thinking about opening an amazon selling account as well. How do the two compare? Do sets on amazon move anywhere as fast as they can on ebay assuming you have a reasonable/competitive price? Any insight would be appreciated!

Amazon is a good sales outlet.  It's a lot easier to use than Ebay in terms of listing products, but there can be a lot more competition.  In general, you aren't going to sell any copies of a set unless you have the lowest price.  When you have the lowest price, how fast you sell will depend on the popularity of the set.  Popular sets will sell very quickly when you have the lowest price.  One downside is that Amazon fees are higher than Ebay.

• Like 1

I use Amazon for selling and personally I feel like I sell items for more on Amazon than i do on Ebay. I feel it's a lot easier and it's easy to manage. The fees are higher than Ebay as mentioned, but I feel I can charge more to make up the difference. Also, I think Amazon feels more "secure" to buyers. Maybe it's just me, but I know as a buyer I'd feel more comfortable buying from someone off of Amazon than Ebay. But both are good for selling. :)

Also, I believe there is an article about this. You may want to check it out. It's very informative! 

• Like 1

Amazon's a great venue and we like selling there, but there is definitely stuff that does better on eBay than Amazon and vice versa. Not experienced enough in Lego yet to give specific advice, but basically with new in box sets, like others said, if you're not the cheapest you won't be selling until the cheapest are gone.

And, you won't get as many chances to screw up on Amazon as you will on eBay, so as a seller KNOW all the rules and abide by them. Amazon doesn't play games, and their bans are permanent.

• Like 1

Honestly I hate selling on Amazon. It has an easier interface, but for stuff Like Lego sets I think it is terrible. You can't put up all these pictures of your item, you don't have a detailed description, you have to follow the shipping rules that are really vauge and the feedback system is not as good.

For books - amazon rocks, but for Lego sets, Ebay is tremendously better. I would not even touch Amazon.

• Like 1

All internet venues that send you payments (PayPal, Amazon Payments, etc.) have to also send you a 1099 under certain cirumstances. Right now it's over 200 transactions and $20,000/year, but that's subject to change anytime Congress feels like it. Amazon wants the info up front so they don't have to worry about chasing you down for it later if you go over their reporting requirement.