Building a stadium any advice/tutorials

17coyote

Hey guys and gals I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience in building a stadium?  Honestly I'm really not sure where to begin.  Not even sure how big I would like it.  I'm thinking similar to a modular in relation to approximate size and brick number.  Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

This guy built the Ohio State University stadium. It is massive and quite amazing. If you google "Lego ohio state stadium" you will find a ton of photos and articles about this. Good luck

Here is an article with photo from NPR

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/01/20/133058130/master-builder-makes-legos-bend-to-his-will-in-ohio-stadium-replica

If you search Lego miller park, an engineering student built the brewers stadium. It is now down at the Louisville slugger museum. Its really amazing. The retractable roof works and everything. It may be a little larger than you want to go though. It's enormous.

I am gonna check that out next time I go to Louisville. I miss my town :(

This guy built the Ohio State University stadium. It is massive and quite amazing. If you google "Lego ohio state stadium" you will find a ton of photos and articles about this. Good luck

Here is an article with photo from NPR

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/01/20/133058130/master-builder-makes-legos-bend-to-his-will-in-ohio-stadium-replica

A Lego Horseshoe is child's play compared to a Lego Brickyard.

FULL.jpg

A Lego Horseshoe is child's play compared to a Lego Brickyard.

'>

Sorry, but that Horseshoe is a monster compared to the Brickyard, and much more accurate.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I would recommend doing your homework.  Figure out the dimensions you are going to need to work with if you are making something accurate to scale.  Nothing would be worse than to spend hundreds of hours on something and for it to look weird because it wasn't proportioned right.

Sorry, but that Horseshoe is a monster compared to the Brickyard, and much more accurate.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I would recommend doing your homework.  Figure out the dimensions you are going to need to work with if you are making something accurate to scale.  Nothing would be worse than to spend hundreds of hours on something and for it to look weird because it wasn't proportioned right.

For what it is the Lego Brickyard is a pretty good representation of the track.  You have to consider that the sheer size of the actual speedway that the lego model would be enormous.  To do an accurate scale model of the track you'd have first build, Churchill Downs, Yankee Stadium, The Roman Colosseum, and the Vatican.  Put those models on the table, then build the Indianapolis Motor Speedway around them.  It is that big.

Until someone builds that, all other scale lego models are just child's play.

For what it is the Lego Brickyard is a pretty good representation of the track.  You have to consider that the sheer size of the actual speedway that the lego model would be enormous.  To do an accurate scale model of the track you'd have first build, Churchill Downs, Yankee Stadium, The Roman Colosseum, and the Vatican.  Put those models on the table, then build the Indianapolis Motor Speedway around them.  It is that big.

Until someone builds that, all other scale lego models are just child's play.

I'm well aware of how big Indianapolis Motor Speedway is, I'm saying that the Horseshoe model is much more impressive than the IMS model.  As you said, for someone to accurately build the Speedway, it would be gigantic, and virtually impossible to build in under a few years with a few million bricks.

Some questions you need to ask yourself...

Is it minfig scale?

will it fit into an existing modular city or be displayed on its own?

Will it be modular, aka removable ceilings and floors?

What sport will it represent?

I would just spend sometime searching google images to come up with ideas.

As far as the design process goes i can give some advice, im and engineer so i put a ton off effort into the design of my projects. I use autocad and create plans for all of my projects, its very helpful to see what it will look like as well as to get estimates on how many pieces you will need. Im work on a castle atm that is about 5,000 pieces, the original design came out to 15,000 and was quickly downsized for financial reasons and not wanting my wife to kick me out of the house. Knowing quantities allowed me to order in bulk, save money and speed up construction as im not constantly waiting on another bricklink order to continue building.

If you dont have access to design programs i would get a pad of graph paper, a calculator and open up and excel spread sheet and atleast get a rough idea of what youre trying to accomplish.

Some questions you need to ask yourself...

Is it minfig scale?

will it fit into an existing modular city or be displayed on its own?

Will it be modular, aka removable ceilings and floors?

What sport will it represent?

I would just spend sometime searching google images to come up with ideas.

As far as the design process goes i can give some advice, im and engineer so i put a ton off effort into the design of my projects. I use autocad and create plans for all of my projects, its very helpful to see what it will look like as well as to get estimates on how many pieces you will need. Im work on a castle atm that is about 5,000 pieces, the original design came out to 15,000 and was quickly downsized for financial reasons and not wanting my wife to kick me out of the house. Knowing quantities allowed me to order in bulk, save money and speed up construction as im not constantly waiting on another bricklink order to continue building.

If you dont have access to design programs i would get a pad of graph paper, a calculator and open up and excel spread sheet and atleast get a rough idea of what youre trying to accomplish.

You brought up some great points. Definitely some food for thought.  Thanks for your input and advice.  I may have to pick your brain when it comes time.