This just blows me away....

Lateral-G

I purchased 7896 new about a year and a half ago for $14.39 (it's the straight and curved rails track set). These sets are going for $50 or more (if you can find them). Of all my sets, the 7896 has the highest appreciation in value (over 200%). For train tracks.....whoda thunk it? Plus Lego has discontinued them. Why I don't know. Now they have straight track and flexible track packaged together (7499). Flexible track is nice but I'd rather have curved sections. What is Lego's thinking regarding the RC train track? In order for the trains to be appealing there has to be the ability to expand beyond the basic oval or circle they provide with one of their sets. Very strange....

I purchased 7896 new about a year and a half ago for $14.39 (it's the straight and curved rails track set).

These sets are going for $50 or more (if you can find them). Of all my sets, the 7896 has the highest appreciation in value (over 200%).

For train tracks.....whoda thunk it?

Plus Lego has discontinued them. Why I don't know. Now they have straight track and flexible track packaged together (7499). Flexible track is nice but I'd rather have curved sections.

What is Lego's thinking regarding the RC train track? In order for the trains to be appealing there has to be the ability to expand beyond the basic oval or circle they provide with one of their sets.

Very strange....

It's amazing that these tracks appreciate the way they do, but when LEGO doesn't give you any other options, what else can you do? I love LEGO trains, but I feel that LEGO should unify all the trains under one common specification so every train can be used with one another. For example, a CITY themed train should work with the Maersk Train. The Maersk train should work with the Ghost Train. So on and so forth. By unifying the theme and selling track, motors, cars, switches, etc..., it could be a very, very popular theme.

I feel that LEGO should unify all the trains under one common specification so every train can be used with one another. For example, a CITY themed train should work with the Maersk Train. The Maersk train should work with the Ghost Train. So on and so forth. By unifying the theme and selling track, motors, cars, switches, etc..., it could be a very, very popular theme.

That would make more sense. Make one standard for all the trains.

It would also serve to grow the theme.

Although I never got into the 9V trains I wonder why Lego scrapped that concept.

Although I never got into the 9V trains I wonder why Lego scrapped that concept.

LEGO discontinued the 9V for numerous reasons, starting with production costs. Costs on solid plastic track is cheaper than adding another step with the addition of metal rails. TLG also wanted a more unified, versatile power system. All of the motors being run off of the same components (i.e. battery pack, I.R. Sensor, etc) allow more applications, and a cheaper production cost. Plus, when it comes to trains, there are more options in track layout, due to self contained, self-propelled units not relying on power from the track. Kids who want custom curves or bends, can do so with the flex track. AFOLs love 9V for large layouts and speed tracks, but it takes about 46 straight tracks for half a circle. It's much cheaper with flex. These are the basics as to why TLG cancelled 9V. I personally do not care for the PF system. My 9V train system dwarfs my PF and I plan to keep it that way : )

• 5 months later...

NOT FOR Selling as LEGO! If you want more straight and curved plastic track for your layouts you can get all you want reasonably priced by buying Enlighten train track. Identical but made of brown plastic to distinguish it from genuine Lego.

I have seen this, but it's still not Lego and therefore I can't use it. While others have no problem using non Lego plastic, I just can't seem to haha. When building a Lego layout or MOC I like knowing I can tell people everything they see is Lego and nothing else ;)

I have seen this, but it's still not Lego and therefore I can't use it. While others have no problem using non Lego plastic, I just can't seem to haha. When building a Lego layout or MOC I like knowing I can tell people everything they see is Lego and nothing else ;)

I 100% agree with that! For some reason, Kre-o and Mega-Blocks just seem too dull looking. You can't top Lego's mass production, style, and quality.

I have a couple of Mega-Blocks pieces....that are in a box. Out of the way. I bought them in a bulk Lego + other stuff box for a nice price, so I am ok having them. Not really sure what to do with them.

My kids (10 and 5) and I sorted bricks all weekend. Several of these were purchased in bulk buys. Even they decided they didn't want the Mega Blocks. My daughter (10) said, "They just fall apart when I put them together." My son (5) said, "The colors aren't as bright. You can tell which ones are fake." Kid know best.