31313 - Mindstorms EV3

Blackjack

It'll take more than a Mohawk to impress me ;) I'm not as sold on this as others seem to be, I do like the update but it seems a lot of the new functionality is geared towards operating the unit with mobile devices. I would much rather do this with a computer as it would be far quicker no matter how you do it. From an investment standpoint, it seems like about the worst thing you could ever put your money in since it is so technically based and will be outstripped on every level by future releases. They do look like a lot of fun though, I was on a US First Robotics team in HS and as I understand, this uses the same programming platform, it is amazing how much you can do with it.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the set for sale yet. I saw it about a month ago but it was not for sale.

the Lego Education version has been out for a while ..

http://www.legoeducation.us/eng/characteristics/ProductLine~LEGO%20MINDSTORMS%20Education%20EV3

http://www.legoeducation.us/eng/product/ev3_core_set/2578

The bad part is no free shipping, and no VIP points!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you guys see this release giving a boost to the sales of the technic line as well as loose technic parts on reselling sites?

Hard to say...

Many technic builders like to use the servos that come with the Mindstorms sets for their MOCS and mods but I'm not sure how well the "brain brick" would integrate into something like a mobile crane or bulldozer. I think Mindstorms is in its own category. Sure it uses technic pieces but I don't neccesarily look at is as a Technic set. Mindstorms appeals to people that like robotics and programming ........along with Lego. If you want to build a cool Technic robot though Minstorms is perfect. But I don't see it driving up sales of technic sets or loose parts.

The new EV3 set does look awesome, however and I certainly want to pick one up. (although the $350 price point is a bit steep IMO)

The education model has more pieces (beams and connectors) which allows students to build more models and I think more complex ones than just the 3 or 4 you can build with the core set.

It does look like the pieces are different - there doesn't appear to be any rubber tracks in the education version. It also appears to include slightly different software geared towards the classroom - they call it the Content Editor.

I've ordered one for my school. Beginning to worry - should I have ordered an education one?

The answer to this question is purely up to you.. but if you are a teacher, it looks like you may have benefited from the education version. That said, I don't think the non-education one will disappoint. I can't for my kids to be old enough to enjoy this kind of Lego!

• 3 months later...

I just picked up a EV3 at target that was on clearance for 30% off.  Sorry if I am repeating a thread somewhere, but does anyone have any ideas on future value for this set?  Should I try for a quick 50 bucks in a flip or does anyone see this set appreciating in the future?

Flip it, repurchase it if you want the set and grab the $50.  Do this seven times and you get the set for free.

If prior iterations of the Mindstorm sets are any indication, this one will be available for a long time - 2.0 was out for 3-4 years.