Lego Store Credit $188 ??

Just picked up a deal on 5 x 7345's at 22.50 a piece. The deal itself wasn't so good but they let me turn them in for store credit at the local lego shop, which is a pretty rare thing i guess. They are selling for 35 bucks a pop at the lego store and thats what they gave me in store credit.

Question is what to buy with the credit ?? What would be a really good investment ?? I was drooling over that death star they had there lol. I was talking with the manager and i guess when lego discontinues sets they actually lower the price on them. I guess they're cracking down on resellers and investors and you can only buy 5 discontinued items at a time. The manager was really serious about it, she said LIFETIME 5 ONLY. She also said if she spots any resellers she can deny them purchase on the spot, kind of ridiculous and bad for business. Isn't lego making enough money wow. Has anyone ever went to a lego shop to buy the discontinued items ?? I can also purchase online is there ever any deals at the lego shop online ?? I also noticed some kind of VIP points on the lego site does anyone know how that works ??

The manager also said 9516 would be discontinued by the end of this year. Should i pick up a couple of those ?? Sorry for 100 questions just trying to learn. Thanks for your time.

Did you buy these 7345s from another Lego Shop?

If not then, how is it you could turn in the 7345's you bought from a store that's not a Lego Shop to a Lego Shop?

I don't know if I'm missing a point here but I think that the store's manager has dropped the ball here. I don't know about shops policies regarding returns but I think that most shops, if not all of them, will only take back items that were sold by them.

She basically gave you free store credit for out of the company's pockets $62. I guess someone will or should be out of a job soon.

If you did buy them in another Lego Shop, it's equally her fault, as you should've been credited with exactly what you paid for them.

Did you actually get a greeter award. You don't seem very friendly to me. Thanks for your help. Love the crooked smiley face also.

I am sorry if I seem unfriendly, but before you mark me as unfriendly did you thought on how much you checked all the posts and topics on the forum before asking the same things that 50+ members asked in the last few months.

there are atleast 50 similar topics as yours and answered already.

If I am unfriendly you are very lazy to say the least. 

I might not seem friendly but you definetly do not seem like someone who checked the forum before opening a new thread.

not to mention my reply was very polite and not hostile at all. 

• Like 1

Its all good man. No problem, i'll check the forum next time before i ask stupid newbie questions.

umm yea i guess someone really dropped the ball at the lego shop i asked if they were going to get in trouble and she said no so... they said it was a one time thing and there policies do not permit this kind of thing usually. The thing is i called ahead of time before i was buying the 7345's and the day time manager said he would do me a favor just this once. I actually could have bought 10 x 7345's but the day manager said he could only take 5 of them. So i olny picked up 5.

I also picked up 9 x 4202's at the same time so it really worked out for me. It was cool of him to do me a favor and give me some precious lego money also lol.

It worked out to be a good deal for me though and no one got fired lol.

So i guess my original questions will have to be found on the other posts. Talk to you later.

umm yea i guess someone really dropped the ball at the lego shop i asked if they were going to get in trouble and she said no so... they said it was a one time thing and there policies do not permit this kind of thing usually. The thing is i called ahead of time before i was buying the 7345's and the day time manager said he would do me a favor just this once. I actually could have bought 10 x 7345's but the day manager said he could only take 5 of them. So i olny picked up 5.

This is fraud.

I would buy LOTR though if i were you....

But since its LEGO store credit and I have no LEGO store nearby I assume those stores dont make discounts often so simply buy things that are not usually discounted (Tower bridge, Haunted house and similar.

thats my personal advice. But about jabba stuff there is tons written on forum and I am no expert on SW and this set has no appeal to me personally so i skipped it.

not to mention the hype about it and media exposure made loads of people buy it. 

HINT: If you write ''generic'' or more common topic names you get search results.

For example if you'd write Jabba's set number I'm 99% sure you'd get some topics to look through ;)

For next time

Just picked up a deal on 5 x 7345's at 22.50 a piece. The deal itself wasn't so good but they let me turn them in for store credit at the local lego shop, which is a pretty rare thing i guess. They are selling for 35 bucks a pop at the lego store and thats what they gave me in store credit.

Question is what to buy with the credit ?? What would be a really good investment ?? I was drooling over that death star they had there lol. I was talking with the manager and i guess when lego discontinues sets they actually lower the price on them. I guess they're cracking down on resellers and investors and you can only buy 5 discontinued items at a time. The manager was really serious about it, she said LIFETIME 5 ONLY. She also said if she spots any resellers she can deny them purchase on the spot, kind of ridiculous and bad for business. Isn't lego making enough money wow. Has anyone ever went to a lego shop to buy the discontinued items ?? I can also purchase online is there ever any deals at the lego shop online ?? I also noticed some kind of VIP points on the lego site does anyone know how that works ??

The manager also said 9516 would be discontinued by the end of this year. Should i pick up a couple of those ?? Sorry for 100 questions just trying to learn. Thanks for your time.

I actually had exactly the opposite conversation with a LS manager - when asked if they discounted anything, she said rarely, but only when Corporate tells them (like the Monster Fighters discounted 20% right now). I asked if they ever discount retired sets (I had just bought Sungnyemun from them), and she said they never discount retired sets, that instead they would rather just sit on them and wait for them to sell at retail. I asked if she could entertain an offer on the remaining Sungnyemuns and she said no.

Many on here have reported "insider information" from LS employees that has turned out to be very wrong, so NEVER make a purchasing decision based on their EOL feedback.

Also, people usually learn that something is retired by its status on S@H - if it's marked retired or the listing is removed, it's retired. Unfortunately, that means you can't buy it.

VIP points is a free promotion that anyone can sign up for. In essence, you get one point for every dollar you purchase, and you can redeem 20 points for $1 in store credit.

• Like 1

I see youre new, here are few things ive learned that might helpful.

#1 lego store employees have NO CLUE what they are talking about, they pretend to be knowledgeable but they arent. These employees are not high level management, they are minimum wage employees that stock shelves, run a cash register and entertain little kids, they have no knowledge of sales numbers, profits, market outlook, sets to be retired, etc...

#2 Just because something is on discount doesnt mean it will be a good investment, in fact often it is the opposite as Lego is trying to move sets that arent selling well. Basically do some research before you start investing, there are plenty of basic guides on this website that will get you started.

#3 Lego has no official stance on resellers and aftermarket investors in their product. Many speculate that they try and take advantage of us investors by scaring us into buying a set by giving it a tag online like "limited availability" or "back ordered" neither of which mean a set will be retired but often means a sets near retirement. I personally think the resale market is so small that lego could care less and as long as they are selling sets they dont care who buys them or what they are worth on the after market once retired.

So you bought the sets for $22.50 each, then you returned them all for $35 per? That sounds very un-LEGO Store like to me. That's basically free in-store credit! :/

I would buy a Fire Brigade, since it sounds like you are just starting out. It's supposed to be retiring soon, so now's a great time to pick it up. I'd also look into the 7965 Millennium Falcon, and the Tower Bridge, as Jaisonline said.

I see youre new, here are few things ive learned that might helpful.

#1 lego store employees have NO CLUE what they are talking about, they pretend to be knowledgeable but they arent. These employees are not high level management, they are minimum wage employees that stock shelves, run a cash register and entertain little kids, they have no knowledge of sales numbers, profits, market outlook, sets to be retired, etc...

#2 Just because something is on discount doesnt mean it will be a good investment, in fact often it is the opposite as Lego is trying to move sets that arent selling well. Basically do some research before you start investing, there are plenty of basic guides on this website that will get you started.

#3 Lego has no official stance on resellers and aftermarket investors in their product. Many speculate that they try and take advantage of us investors by scaring us into buying a set by giving it a tag online like "limited availability" or "back ordered" neither of which mean a set will be retired but often means a sets near retirement. I personally think the resale market is so small that lego could care less and as long as they are selling sets they dont care who buys them or what they are worth on the after market once retired.

You are wrong on #3. Lego does have an official position on resellers and its clear - they don't allow resellers to purchase product for resale from shop at home or retail stores. Myself and others have received email warnings and others have been flat out banned from buying anything from lego retail stores and shop at home. We just had a huge thread about this.

Could be but not necessarily. If the OP told them he didn't pay $35 and the store gave it to him anyway, I see no fraud. Some stores/clerks may not have had the ability to verify the price difference or to alter the price.

Yeah this is true. I worked at a retail store where we didn't. We were just supposed to not worry about it.

This is fraud.

You actually don't believe me, OK so i'm lying about returning my legos at the lego shop. What reason would i have to do that ?? It doesn't even really matter anyway what's the diff how i got the money. I wanted to let people know about there new policies that i was speaking with the manager about. By the way she was a collector herself and seemed very knowledgable about lego products. She also gets an employee discount on any set she wants. She buys 2 of everything star wars 1 for her son to play with and one to hold on to. Sounds like a good deal to me.  Prob does not make much difference to anyone about the lego policies, but i thought it was interesting. I was just wondering about people shopping at the lego shop and if there were ever any good deals down there that I could buy with my store credit.

Another question i had for you guys was about the shape of the boxes. They had a 20% off damaged box section down there and one of the boxes wasn't all that bad. It was a Jabba's palace. Should boxes be in good shape or does a box that is slightly bent put a big hit on the ROI. I see a lot of boxes with scratches on them. Almost every box i looked at was a little bit ruffed up.

Anyway sorry to cause such a commotion about the lego shop i just thought it would be something to talk about since i'm really new to this stuff. Thanks for your time.

They are very strict on how many you can buy at one time or in your life time.  I called 2 Lego shops yesterday asking for the MF accessory sets if they have 20% off or not, and they said they have about 40 sets at one store and 2 at the other one.  I asked the store that has 2 and see if I can return a few that I got a month ago at retail price, and buy it at 20% off, and they said no, they will not do price match for one and then they said they can only take 5 back at a time.  And the other store that has 40 sets said I can only get 5 sets per person in my life time.  I am just wondering if they ever know if I go back the next day and get another 5?  The manager asked if I am a reseller.  I told her I am not.  Just want to buy more to give out to kids in the family when Halloween comes around.  They are cracking down on resellers that's for sure.

They are very strict on how many you can buy at one time or in your life time.  I called 2 Lego shops yesterday asking for the MF accessory sets if they have 20% off or not, and they said they have about 40 sets at one store and 2 at the other one.  I asked the store that has 2 and see if I can return a few that I got a month ago at retail price, and buy it at 20% off, and they said no, they will not do price match for one and then they said they can only take 5 back at a time.  And the other store that has 40 sets said I can only get 5 sets per person in my life time.  I am just wondering if they ever know if I go back the next day and get another 5?  The manager asked if I am a reseller.  I told her I am not.  Just want to buy more to give out to kids in the family when Halloween comes around.  They are cracking down on resellers that's for sure.

Sounds like they don't have standard policies across stores. thats always fun.

Yea thats the same speach i got from the manager that i was speaking with. Just this last month they have really started to enforce these policies. I guess before these policies were being enforced, when sets would become discontinued, they had guys buying up pallets full of lego sets at a discount. Sounds like an lego investors paridise lol.

The employee at the lego store once told us they would take any lego sets they are currently selling for store credit. or even future set for that matters. He told us one time a guy returned a set from Toysrus (with toysrus label which the lego store had not even started selling yet), they gave him store credit of the lego's retail price when that person should have returned it to Toysrus for more money. That's the story he told us. I think they gave store credit for the lowest price they sold for that set at the store.

I forgot what we were talking about to lead to that topic. But those who have been to the monthly mini-build would know, the line can be very long, and we always chat with the employees while waiting in line. I assume they are bored too.

I never said or doubted that you returned your Lego to the store.

What I meant is that you found some sets at discount, called the Lego store to check if they'd take them in, did your math and went for it. This is why I called fraud on your move. You ended up $60+ richer just by taking some sets from one store (not sure if the place where you bought them is even a Lego shop) to another one.

As I also stated, I think that the store manager dropped the ball here, she shouldn't have done that, at least if I was running that store I would follow the policies which she said she'd put aside this time. One time is one time too many.

But that's just me.

Do you like work at the lego store or something, who cares how I scored the deal. A deal is a deal. It wasn't illegal what i did, you act like i freakin stole them or something. I picked them up from someone knowing I could return them for store credit at the lego shop ( LEGITIMATE LEGO SHOP BIG BOXES OF LEGOS ALL OVER THE PLACE ) lol. If I wouldn't have been able to return the 7345's i wouldn't have bought them because they are not really a deal at $22.50.

Again no one got in trouble it was a one time thing and its freakin ridiculous that they don't return new boxes of legos for store credit. They allow you to trade them in for other lego sets. Why ? Lego makes tons of money off their little plastic toys. Huge mark up and huge profits. What should they care if someone else is making money. Its the USA thats what we do here we find an opportunity try and make as much we can , and grind it until it doesn't work any more.

• Like 1