Let's get proactive about LEGO scams on eBay.

StarPod

This has never happened to me, but I always wonder, what if you were selling an expensive Lego set (say a $500+ set) that you bought from an ebay seller years ago, that was sealed when you bought it and still is sealed now, and then when selling it and shipping it to the seller who just purchased it, the seller sends you a message saying he/she opened it upon arrive and the contents in the box where from a diffferent, way less valuable set. How would you prove them that you did nothing wrong? How would you win this case against ebay? What if the contents were accurate, but the seller took them out and is claiming they weren't accurate by taking photos of a different set of bags he/she put in place of the contents. Just something I think about that is very scary. It has never happened to me and I hope this never does, but this is definitely a risk that you take when investing in sets. What is everyone's opinion on this type of scam?

I brought up this question in another post yesterday. I wonder the same exact thing. I have heard of it happening before. I don't know if there is any way to stop it. It could even happen on new items that you purchased from the store. I had 2 auctions end recently with buyers with 0 feedback. One became an eBay member just the day before winning my auction. I am holding my breath that they will get the items and leave positive feedback. But they could easily say that the contents are not correct and I would have no proof and would have to refund the money.

exactly same question came into my mind...i just recieved Brand new sealed Tower Bridge from ebay seller..the box look fine but the covers where tape is fixed are loose than the normal brand new sets. I am wondering what to do if i open its value will decrease ...seller has good feedback as well.. I have ordered another tower bridge from amazon and will compare both boxes

exactly same question came into my mind...i just recieved Brand new sealed Tower Bridge from ebay seller..the box look fine but the covers where tape is fixed are loose than the normal brand new sets. I am wondering what to do if i open its value will decrease ...seller has good feedback as well..

I have ordered another tower bridge from amazon and will compare both boxes

The value will most likely decrease if you open it. Keep in mind with these big sets the seals do stretch a little during shipping. Especially if you consider it was shipped to a store then to the eBay seller and then to you. I do notice on all my bigger sets the seals aren't as nice as the small sets. I wish we could sell items on eBay as "contents verified". Basically new and resealed but opened only to verify contents. Seems to me that shouldn't hurt the value and would actually make the buyer more likely to purchase the set but unfortunately that just isn't the case.

Yeah, these are all ongoing issues, and really there's no way to tell exactly what contents are in a given box unless it's opened. However opening a set could decrease the value, and trying to open a sealed set to check the contents, and then resealing it is extremely hard (extremely hard to do without it being slightly noticed). Believe me, I have practiced the hair dryer method with sets I had planned on opening anyways. Yes a hair dryer will help peel the seals back easily, but when you reseal the set you can usually see a slight corner of the seal pulled back, that is no longer sticking to the box (this is the area or corner where you used your finger nail or a sharp knife to begin getting the seal to peal. Anyhow fraud is an extremely scary thing in the Lego world and I'm honestly not sure what one would do to protect themselves from being scammed like this, other than taking multiple pictures from different angles and praying you get a loyal buyer when selling your set.

The value will most likely decrease if you open it. Keep in mind with these big sets the seals do stretch a little during shipping. Especially if you consider it was shipped to a store then to the eBay seller and then to you. I do notice on all my bigger sets the seals aren't as nice as the small sets. I wish we could sell items on eBay as "contents verified". Basically new and resealed but opened only to verify contents. Seems to me that shouldn't hurt the value and would actually make the buyer more likely to purchase the set but unfortunately that just isn't the case.

i just saw few auctions going on where the set is new in box but seal was broken to verify the contents and items were sold at very good price just an example for VW beetle set " seal was opened to verify contents" sold for 416$ +15$ shipping..

If i am buying a set on ebay which i have to open and build i will be more confident to buy it where seller says new in box contents verified and complete.

i just saw few auctions going on where the set is new in box but seal was broken to verify the contents and items were sold at very good price just an example for VW beetle set " seal was opened to verify contents" sold for 416$ +15$ shipping..

If i am buying a set on ebay which i have to open and build i will be more confident to buy it where seller says new in box contents verified and complete.

Very true, it is sometimes worth it to open and verify the contents. Better safe than sorry. And like you just said with the VW example, it seems that breaking the seals may not affect the value significantly. However I think it may affect the value of a 10179 sealed vs a 10179 with cut seals. I guess it just all depends.

I agree, I wish "seals opened to varify contents only and then resealed" was an option. But like you said that isn't really an option as most people want a set completely sealed.

I agree, I wish "seals opened to varify contents only and then resealed" was an option. But like you said that isn't really an option as most people want a set completely sealed.

I have purchased sets that looked opened from big box stores. I always take them home and open them to insure contents are accurate. Once verified, when I place my ebay auction I will list that it has been opened to verify contents. I have always had good luck when I am honest about it. Remember, most people we are selling to are collectors, not investors, so they are probably going to open it and build it, not keep it sealed. Some may want a sealed box and they will just skip my auctions I guess.

edit: Oh, I read that wrong. You mean you are the seller. Perhaps it is best that if you pay like $500+ for a set on ebay, that you video tape opening the box. In this case, you would have proof that they scammed you. One long video of box sealed then opened and then contents being not what they are supposed to be.

Perhaps it is best that if you pay like $500+ for a set on ebay, that you video tape opening the box. In this case, you would have proof that they scammed you. One long video of box sealed then opened and then contents being not what they are supposed to be.

This would still be easy to stage. If a buyer wants to scam a seller, they carefully open the shipping carton and set, replace the contents, close them back up, then roll the tape. Now they have video evidence that they were scammed when in fact they weren't. The same problem can be said for sellers videotaping the packaging process. There's no proof that what was recorded was the actual product and package that was sent. It would be very easy to record the packaging process, then after you're done, reprint a label and put it on a different package. The bottom line is that if a seller or buyer wants to rip the other off, it can easily be done and video evidence can easily be forged, so to speak. It's always something to be concerned about, but most people out there aren't looking to rip people off.

To scam someone on ebay, all you have to do is claim that the item wasn't as described. Doesn't really matter how, just that it wasn't.

Ebay sides with the buyer about 112% of the time.

I have had many disputes through PayPal from customers over the 10+ years I have run my business (well over 100) and I can tell you this is true. All the buyer has to do is say it isn't as described and they get their money back. In 100% of cases PayPal has sided with the buyer.

I experienced this a few years ago when I sold a misb x-wing fighter on eBay. The seller contacted me and said that the minifigs were missing as well as some pieces. So, he sent me back the bags and after receiving them I noticed that the bags which thebminifigs would have been in were shrink wrapped. I could not believe this jerk did this. I immediately blocked the buyer and then raised my restrictions....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Shuttle-Expedition-10231-/300856297813?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item460c6ec955 i think another example of scam...this guy sold the same shuttle few days back and never replied to my questions(though i did not win the auction)...look at his 10 + reviews on ebay all on Jan 17 for .99 cents items

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Shuttle-Expedition-10231-/300857607219?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item460c82c433 i am seeing for last few days that this guy lists shuttle expedition 10231 daily and the auction is of 24hours..this guy has 10 + reviews all on jan 17th and he bought 99cent stuff.. looks to me he might do drop shipping with stolen credit cards and might gave fake address to ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Shuttle-Expedition-10231-/300857607219?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item460c82c433

i am seeing for last few days that this guy lists shuttle expedition 10231 daily and the auction is of 24hours..this guy has 10 + reviews all on jan 17th and he bought 99cent stuff..

looks to me he might do drop shipping with stolen credit cards and might gave fake address to ebay.

If I were you I'd stay out of this one, its way too risky to be something I'd be interested in. Drop shipping 75% chance, Good clean deal 25% chance. Don't take that as an exact probability, but still that's about the odds on this deal.