10186 - General Grievous

I've been looking into this set a lot recently. It has gained 70% in the last year. If he's featured in one of the new films he will be a gold mine. Unless they release a new improved version that doesn't fall and break and die

Anyways I just got 2. Hopefully my effect pays off

• Like 1

When you say "one of the new films", I hope you aren't talking about Episodes 7-9? General Grievous dies in Episode III: Revenge of the Site, and there's already 3 movies inbetween his death and the new movies. Unless you are talking about one of the spinoff movies, which is pretty likely if they decide to do one of Obi-Wan or of Grievous himself.

Grievous is one of my favorite UCS models, even though I haven't built it, mainly because it includes a bunch of Technic pieces, unlike most of the others. Also, as you have said, it has had really nice gains over the past 6-7 months, increasing from $99 to $150. 

One last thing...when you say "Hopefully my effect pays off", do you mean "hopefully my effort pays off"?

When you say "one of the new films", I hope you aren't talking about Episodes 7-9? General Grievous dies in Episode III: Revenge of the Site, and there's already 3 movies inbetween his death and the new movies. Unless you are talking about one of the spinoff movies, which is pretty likely if they decide to do one of Obi-Wan or of Grievous himself. Grievous is one of my favorite UCS models, even though I haven't built it, mainly because it includes a bunch of Technic pieces, unlike most of the others. Also, as you have said, it has had really nice gains over the past 6-7 months, increasing from $99 to $150.  One last thing...when you say "Hopefully my effect pays off", do you mean "hopefully my effort pays off"?

Yes I mean the spinoffs which I really think they will do. And yes my phone autocorrect to effect :p

• Like 1

Any particular reason? Or is it because it is already retired that you don't want to buy it? I just thought that was a very blunt response.

It's a really ugly set in my honest opinion. It just looks "off" to what people have come to expect. I will only ever invest in UCS ships, and never UCS characters. 

I've been looking into this set a lot recently. It has gained 70% in the last year. If he's featured in one of the new films he will be a gold mine. Unless they release a new improved version that doesn't fall and break and die

Anyways I just got 2. Hopefully my effect pays off

He's dead unfortunately but I definitely think he will continue to gain in value. I am looking to pick one up as well.

Yes I mean the spinoffs which I really think they will do. And yes my phone autocorrect to effect :P

In my opinion, the spinoffs will have an investment effect similar to that of the CW TV show, in that it won't have a lasting impression on the sets. To me, the purpose of spinoffs is to keep the fans at bay while Disney and LucasFilms pull together the next episode, instead of a full-fledged movie. I don't see Grievous increasing too much more, getting him at $130 or lower would be pretty good, I think.

One of the big reasons why I don't see this particular set going too much more in the upwards direction is because the set was very near a flop, prior to December 2012. I think that after that jump, there isn't that much room for it to grow that much. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see that much potential left, based on its 4 years of being dormant in the investment world.

It's a really ugly set in my honest opinion. It just looks "off" to what people have come to expect. I will only ever invest in UCS ships, and never UCS characters. 

I see... Well, that's your opinion, and I see no problem with you voicing that. :D

Right, it was definitely a flop.  It was 50% off at Lego.com pretty soon after release, plus it took a while to finally sell out, even at that price.  Kinda similar to what happened to the UCS Jedi Starfighter.  A bunch of people bought these for cheap so it will take a while for them to sell at more than original retail.

Right, it was definitely a flop.  It was 50% off at Lego.com pretty soon after release, plus it took a while to finally sell out, even at that price.  Kinda similar to what happened to the UCS Jedi Starfighter.  A bunch of people bought these for cheap so it will take a while for them to sell at more than original retail.

Perhaps another reason B-Wing will eventually provide good returns?

Hmm, I guess I must be one of the few that actually thought the statue build of General Grievous was kind of cool. I realize he isn't much for play but display wise he's good. The minifigure hood piece under his chest acting like some kind of 'heart' was a nicely gross effect.

Not a bad investment at all in my opinion.  There have been a couple of huge years of growth for the set since it's initial drop near EOL due to that discounting.  That high growth might start to slow a bit now, who knows, but I can't see it stopping just yet.  At least with buying a retired set like this you get returns from day one and don't have to wait around for an EOL date.

Hmm, I guess I must be one of the few that actually thought the statue build of General Grievous was kind of cool. I realize he isn't much for play but display wise he's good. The minifigure hood piece under his chest acting like some kind of 'heart' was a nicely gross effect.

I agree. To be totally honest, I think TLG's always done a great job on all the UCS models, and the Grievous model is no exception. I think they could have been a little more creative with the lightsabers, but I like the overall look!

B-wing is a flop .. Even at $99 dollars it was so easy to get them. Nobody wanted it now .. nobody will want it later.

Just like General Grievous, right?

MSRP: $90

1/2 off MSRP: $45

Current BP price: $150

ROI: 233%

He seems to be okay on the secondary market, especially if you got him for 50% off. Apparently someone wants him...

If you have any B-Wings you want to unload for $100, PM me and I will gladly take them off your hands...

B-wing is a flop .. Even at $99 dollars it was so easy to get them. Nobody wanted it now .. nobody will want it later.

How exactly is the B wing at $99 a flop? Last I checked anyone who bought at $99 could sell today on eBay and make a few bucks or break even at worst after fees. And that is not even 3 full months after the sale on may the fourth.

• Like 1

How exactly is the B wing at $99 a flop? Last I checked anyone who bought at $99 could sell today on eBay and make a few bucks or break even at worst after fees. And that is not even 3 full months after the sale on may the fourth.

Thats what i was thinking.

Well it could be different definitions of a flop. My definition of a flop is a set that has a negative ROI, and I have serious doubts of the B-Wing ever having a negative ROI. If worst comes to worst, then you can just sell the B-Wing to me for $100... ;) 

This type of thinking is why we see so much turnover in this type of investment arena.  Everybody wants a quick buck and not wait for the real money. 

I am more than happy that I bought 10186 last year for $100, because he will make me money by Christmas this year.  I also got in on the 10174 for the same price last year ($100), that is looking very nice for this Christmas as well.  It has been pretty much considered a flop, but is starting to gain traction as the years go by.  I hope that 10215 gets it in gear at some point, would like to make a few bucks on those as well, but probably going to have to give them another year.