Stickers: to apply or not?

Grolim

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do you apply stickers?

• Yes, always
    • Sometimes
    • No, never
    • I don't build sets

30% of my building time of sets with stickers, is spent making sure they are equally spaced within the brick and not placed out of whack! Lol

Even though I don't like applying stickers to Lego bricks, I spend a lot of time making sure that they are perfectly applied. I have some sets from when I was younger that had stickers and those sticker are either falling off or out of place. Every time I look at those sets, I think to myself, I don't want to do that ever again.

Even though I don't like applying stickers to Lego bricks, I spend a lot of time making sure that they are perfectly applied. I have some sets from when I was younger that had stickers and those sticker are either falling off or out of place. Every time I look at those sets, I think to myself, I don't want to do that ever again.

Yeah, I'm also anal about sticker placement.

Confession = I even anointed myself designated sticker analyst when my son builds. I keep scotch tape, a level, & magnifying glass with me at all times (after washing my hands) before the sacrament of sticker execution.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

• Like 1

I always apply stickers, but would totally be in favor of paying a bit more to be done with them (although I'm guessing AFOLs, let alone those who agree with this, are still the minority of all buyers).

Those 80s/early 90s space sets with the printed bricks... still so pristine!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

This is my stance too.  Pre-printed pieces would be great!  They just work better than the stickers.  They don't fall off, and they can't be applied wrong.

Just went thru the ordeal of sticking the canopy stickers on my 10240-1 and I have this to say: the person (who decided that we stick stickers instead of printing the design onto the brick itself) was not checked for craziness as a kid. 

<end rant>  :sweat:

Just went thru the ordeal of sticking the canopy stickers on my 10240-1 and I have this to say: the person (who decided that we stick stickers instead of printing the design onto the brick itself) was not checked for craziness as a kid. 

That is why I didn't even bother to put those stickers one when I got mine. Too much work to get it perfect and it looks fine if there is no canopy sticker.

I always order a backup sticker sheet for exclusives I build if the set is still in production so the price is not ridiculous. The eventual rise after EOL will compensate for it.

Heck, even stickers themselves are good investments (assuming exclusives)! People who buy used sets with peeled/damaged/lost stickers will want to buy them. For instance for Orthanc stickers will be highly sought after, I am pretty sure.

Anyway if backup stickers are too expensive I scan them and print them on sticker paper then use a scalpel to cut them to size.

i bricklink a set, and often times it's easier for me to pull apart a model sitting on my desk and use some of the bricks until i sort out a loose lot and find them, so i don't apply stickers, often times i don't even bother to reassemble them, i just toss them with the loose pieces so i have a giant pile of sticker sheets

This thread on eurobricks shows a technique to apply the clear stickers so you can get them perfect every time.  I've used this method and it works pretty well.  You wet the sticker and lightly wet the surface you're applying it too, this allows you to slide the sticker around to position it perfectly.  You then use a dry sponge to soak up the excess water and let it dry.

This doesn't work with the white backed stickers since they are paper and will get destroyed by the water.

• Like 2

This thread on eurobricks shows a technique to apply the clear stickers so you can get them perfect every time.  I've used this method and it works pretty well.  You wet the sticker and lightly wet the surface you're applying it too, this allows you to slide the sticker around to position it perfectly.  You then use a dry sponge to soak up the excess water and let it dry.

This doesn't work with the white backed stickers since they are paper and will get destroyed by the water.

Certainly doable, but we shouldn't do this hassle with a brand positioned clearly in the premium segment, especially their exclusives. 

Imagine you buy a premium car and you are expected to fine-tune it, clean it and correct some factory bu....it just after bringing it home because the company doesnt' care, making you lie on the dirty ground with your hands and face deep in oil.

Well, this is practically the same with that X-Wing canopy. I would happily pay 10-15$ more if it would be printed, it is that flawed. There is a limit to cheapassness (is that a word?) and for LEGO you don't expect to cross it. Come on, the people who buy these are the ones who would care about that extra amount, very little compared to the original price? I don't think so. They expect quality for buying exclusives, not this crap. And people who expect quality will pay for it, because only stupid people think that quality can come cheap. LEGO should realise this. What can (not necessarily does) work for kids' sets, is often not appropriate for adults. Kids expect action, fun and playability. Adults want quality. LEGO knows this for some degree, as huge-ass (sorry for the term) panels don't appear in 10xxx sets. As soon as they begin to include those to reduce costs I am out. That is not LEGO, it is Playmobil....

God, I hate them. I like picking up old vintage sets that might be incomplete or whatever and it's a real pain when there's stickers involved. They can be so expensive to buy them from Bricklink (if you can even find them) that it usually wipes out any potential profits from a sell-on, and if you don't have them the set is never really complete. Very annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone have tips on how to apply those big UCS fact stickers without screwing them up?  We're just about done building R2, and this sticker looks like a pain to apply correctly.

Scan and print it on sticker paper for 1 USD. Nearly the same quality.

• Like 1

nope.  can't bring myself to do it since i know at least one wont be perfect, and it's all ill look at on the set.  plus, for replayability, i prefer to save them for the next owner, whomever that may be. 

Anyone have tips on how to apply those big UCS fact stickers without screwing them up?  We're just about done building R2, and this sticker looks like a pain to apply correctly.

LEGO's support site has a video on how to properly apply the stickers for the 10240 UCS X-wing. Ridicule me, but they could have just printed the darn thing and be done with it. Plus the fact that video is using some 1970s technology! /end rant

Anyway, I'd use the exact same method when applying the fact sheet for R2. 

• Like 1

peel up one side and bend the backing paper back, then affix it to the lego plate, then pull the paper out from under the sticker and stick it down as it rolls out perfectly

• 4 weeks later...

I never apply stickers.  Two reason.  First they are of extremely low quality and inevitably peel off.  Second, if your parting out a set that you've already put together and have an unused sticker sheet you'll get more money out of it.  I believe the set feels a lot more "new" if you don't apply the sticker and leave that up to the buyer.

I never apply stickers.  Two reason.  First they are of extremely low quality and inevitably peel off.  Second, if your parting out a set that you've already put together and have an unused sticker sheet you'll get more money out of it.  I believe the set feels a lot more "new" if you don't apply the sticker and leave that up to the buyer.

Why do you say that the stickers are low quality? Most of my sets from 2007 that have stickers are still in great condition.

Well, it depends on where you store and inevitability live that depends on how your stickers will hold up. My stickered sets stored in a relatively cold area remain pristine, but when exposed to a warmer environment, they almost immediately started peeling off. This was definately apparent when I moved from up north to down south, but I also have to consider this was when my air conditioning went out and it was the middle of summer in Florida.

Well, it depends on where you store and inevitability live that depends on how your stickers will hold up. My stickered sets stored in a relatively cold area remain pristine, but when exposed to a warmer environment, they almost immediately started peeling off. This was definitely apparent when I moved from up north to down south, but I also have to consider this was when my air conditioning went out and it was the middle of summer in Florida.

Most of my sets with stickers are stored in a somewhat cold room for most of the year. I guess that is why they are so pristine. Since I live the in the NY, the winters here are bad. Some days the temperature difference between the inside of my house to the outside is 50 - 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Not fun.

• 3 weeks later...