Minecraft 21102 back in stock

ExoBro94

The Minecraft set was actually the very first set that I purchased knowingly as an investment. That was about three months ago, the last time that Amazon had them in stock. They sold out then in 1 hour and 25 minutes. I'm expecting these to be gone by 10:20pm EST. There are 23 left right now. 

The Minecraft set was actually the very first set that I purchased knowingly as an investment. That was about three months ago, the last time that Amazon had them in stock. They sold out then in 1 hour and 25 minutes. I'm expecting these to be gone by 10:20pm EST. There are 23 left right now. 

How good of an investment do you think this is? I know the game is popular - just doens't appeal to me though.

How good of an investment do you think this is? I know the game is popular - just doens't appeal to me though.

The game has become a cultural phenomenon. I personally played it heavily when I was in my senior year of high school (2 years ago). Today, it is all the rage among kids ages 10-18. There is a massive population of adults who play this game. It is described by many as the LEGOS of the internet. THere is no doubt in my mind that the fan base and popularity is there. Now, it all just depends on how quickly it EOLs. Frankly I have no guess as to when that will be. However, when Amazon gets more stock of these (which has been around every 3-4 months) it has been limited to less than 100 units. 

My guess is that LEGO will retire this set before it release the next 2 Minecraft sets. That is just my gut feeling and that will make this set a massive winner. Even though this has gone over the original 10,000 set limit, the demand is greater than the supply still. 

When it first came out last year, the first batch sold out quickly and the value jumped up to almost $100.  This was around Christmas, and it was the first run of the set, but the moral is there was some serious demand for the set.  Since then, check this page out:

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/topsellinglegosets.cfm

These are sets sold on eBay, and Minecraft had the following ranks on eBay (quantity sold):

Dec 12: 2

Jan 13: 1

Feb 13: 2

Mar 13: 1

Apr 13: 5

May 13: 2

That's a crazy number of sets sold.  The demand is here for this set.

That said, there is a caution.  It appears EOL isn't coming this year as the set has been renamed "Minecraft - The Forest" in preparation for two new Minecraft sets.  My guess is this one's got another year in it, but that's strictly speculation (sorry Exobro, I don't think it's retiring soon, but we all can hope!).  The good news is that at $35, this could be an easy flip if you so chose or needed to quickly liquidate for whatever reason.

These were going for ~100$ last Christmas but came back down to earth shortly after. I wonder if the same thing will happen this year.

They came down when more sets were released by Lego (the first batch sold out very quickly).

If this thing EOLs, it's not coming down.

When it first came out last year, the first batch sold out quickly and the value jumped up to almost $100.  This was around Christmas, and it was the first run of the set, but the moral is there was some serious demand for the set.  Since then, check this page out:

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/topsellinglegosets.cfm

These are sets sold on eBay, and Minecraft had the following ranks on eBay (quantity sold):

Dec 12: 2

Jan 13: 1

Feb 13: 2

Mar 13: 1

Apr 13: 5

May 13: 2

That's a crazy number of sets sold.  The demand is here for this set.

That said, there is a caution.  It appears EOL isn't coming this year as the set has been renamed "Minecraft - The Forest" in preparation for two new Minecraft sets.  My guess is this one's got another year in it, but that's strictly speculation (sorry Exobro, I don't think it's retiring soon, but we all can hope!).  The good news is that at $35, this could be an easy flip if you so chose or needed to quickly liquidate for whatever reason.

Oh trust me, I will not be surprised if it does stick around  :yes:. For some reason though, considering the nature of this set, the excitement surrounding this set, as well as the name change, I really think LEGO is setting it up for EOL. I think the name changes was to align it more directly with the future sets, as well as to make it appear that this set was only around for a short time. Think about it; eventually all of the naive parents and children will go search for the "Minecraft Forest Set" and will only see exact matches from July 2013. It's almost like LEGO is banking on the customers being dumb which would then drive demand up for the new ones and the retired products. And while LEGO doesn't benefit monetarily from the sale or hype around retired products, they do benefit from the branding and news. LEGO utilizes the secondary market and investors in an amazing way (This also seems to show that LEGO appreciates investors and would be dumb to hurt them, but thats a topic for a different thread!). 

Use multiple accounts to get around any buy-in limits at any retailer. Sometimes you need a new address. Often times not.

I know Amazon catches different accounts that use the same address more times than not. It happened to me during the HH/AA sale.