Mobile Crane

Welcome. In this response, I'll walk you through the 3 ways that I often find the value of a set.

1. You can also search right here on this thread. Go to the top of this page then right under the BrickPicker logo is a search bar that says "Search LEGO Price Guide". You can put in the LEGO set number, which in your case is 855. Now on the page, the values haven't really fluxuated very much because very few complete copies of your set exist today. 

2. Another easy way to figure out its worth is by going to eBay.com and then search for your set. Instead of looking at the active listings, go to the sidebar, and select "Complete Listings" or "Sold Listings" which will show you how other sellers have sold it in the past. I see that one seller has sold it for for $102.50 and another international seller has sold it for ~$39.17 USD (To see more: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=lego+855+mobile+crane&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc). These aren't very exact numbers, but there is one more trick up my sleeve!

3. There is a great website called BrickLink.com. They are a marketplace where you can sell LEGO's and only LEGO's. They have their own version of a price guide, but it is based on data that they receive from their own marketplace. Often these prices are slightly lower than eBay because many "serious" LEGO-ers know exactly what they want for a certain set, and will only accept lower. They do have a nice price guide, so this is where I will look next. 

By entering the set number (855) into the search bar at the very top, I came across 17 listings where BrickLink members were selling the 855 set. My clicking on "Catalog Entry" we can go to a general information page about your set. Then we can click on "Price Guide" and can see how much people have sold it on BrickLink, as well as how much people are currently asking for. 

Used, the 855 Mobile Crane has an average sold price of $86.58, so that is what I would say is what your set is worth. For sale, however, people are asking for $116.21. See more at http://www.bricklink.com/catalogPG.asp?S=855-1

Sorry for the long response, but I wanted to walk you through the ways you can figure out how much your LEGO set is worth. Good luck!

Comicblast

Welcome!  Just wanted to add a few more details to an already excellent post by comicblast.

Used, the 855 Mobile Crane has an average sold price of $86.58, so that is what I would say is what your set is worth.

The OP really didn't say enough to give an accurate price evaluation.  Their set could be closer in value to the low figure ($68.67) or the upper value ($100.00).  How much the set is worth will also depend on if it is complete, if it has the orginal instructions or box, what condition everything is in, and because it is an older set - if the pieces are of the right time period.  This last detail is more important if you are selling on BL and looking to get a premium, but all of these factors will affect the price you can expect to receive in the end.

Often these prices are slightly lower than eBay because many "serious" LEGO-ers know exactly what they want for a certain set, and will only accept lower. They do have a nice price guide, so this is where I will look next.

We obviously must be buying in different markets.  In my experience Bricklink prices are the higher of the two, because people know what they have and know how to describe their items.