• Keegan-Michael Key as Toad
• Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong
• Fred Armisen as Cranky Kong
• Kevin Michael Richardson as Kamek
• Sebastian Maniscalco as Spike
• Charles Martinet with surprise cameos

Charlie as Luigi that is all. 

• Like 1

Saw Free Guy the other day. Had no expectations going into it but it was a fun movie. Some great laughs, good action and a ton of gaming easter eggs.

If you aren't a gamer, dont know streamers, the lingo, the games, characters or gaming hacks... You will more than likely hate this movie.

If you know games. It's a gem.

• Like 2

Looking for recommendations...our family tradition is to watch a horror flick every night through October. Well, now that we have been doing this for a few of years, we are running out of movies! Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good scary flick? I feel like we've seen most, but I'm sure there are some other more obscure flicks out there that are worthy of a watch...

Best horror flick....ready,,,go!!!

2 hours ago, odysea11 said:

Looking for recommendations...our family tradition is to watch a horror flick every night through October. Well, now that we have been doing this for a few of years, we are running out of movies! Does anyone have any good recommendations for a good scary flick? I feel like we've seen most, but I'm sure there are some other more obscure flicks out there that are worthy of a watch...

Many of these are fairly mainstream, so you've probably seen most, or all of them already. But I'll post my list anyway. My top 10 horror recommendations:

I judge all horror on the same criteria. Watching alone, at night with surround sound headphones. Only way to truly tell if a movie can actually scare you. Other viewers ruins the effect for me. 

Big, big, big shoutout to Sinister. Probably the only movie that has really scared me. A horror masterpiece IMO. 

1. Sinister

2. Let me in

3. Midsommer

4. Hereditary

5. Taking of Deborah Logan

6. Triangle

7. Mother

8. Babadook

9. Vivarium

10. The Witch

Edit: Forget to add It Follows. I'd put it in the middle of the pack. 

Edited by dennugsmello
Addition
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dennugsmello said:

Many of these are fairly mainstream, so you've probably seen most, or all of them already. But I'll post my list anyway. My top 10 horror recommendations:

I judge all horror on the same criteria. Watching alone, at night with surround sound headphones. Only way to truly tell if a movie can actually scare you. Other viewers ruins the effect for me. 

Big, big, big shoutout to Sinister. Probably the only movie that has really scared me. A horror masterpiece IMO. 

1. Sinister

2. Let me in

3. Midsommer

4. Hereditary

5. Taking of Deborah Logan

6. Triangle

7. Mother

8. Babadook

9. Vivarium

10. The Witch

Edit: Forget to add It Follows. I'd put it in the middle of the pack. 

as grown ass man ...if I wake up for whatever reason in the middle of the night...I actually don't turn my head because I just know THAT GIRL from The Ring is standing there watching me...and as long as I don't acknowledge her...I am "ok"

28 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

as grown ass man ...if I wake up for whatever reason in the middle of the night...I actually don't turn my head because I just know THAT GIRL from The Ring is standing there watching me...and as long as I don't acknowledge her...I am "ok"

Samara is going to get you whether you're looking or not because, as you may recall, she DOES want to hurt you.  However, as long as you move the TV out of the room, you should be ok.  Also, we may be past the point where Samara poses a threat given the death of VHS...could you imagine how busy she'd be if her shtick worked in the world of streaming?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, redcell said:

Samara is going to get you whether you're looking or not because, as you may recall, she DOES want to hurt you.  However, as long as you move the TV out of the room, you should be ok.  Also, we may be past the point where Samara poses a threat given the death of VHS...could you imagine how busy she'd be if her shtick worked in the world of streaming?

would be pretty funny to see her try to squeeze out of a small phone screen

my thing about not looking is from "general bogey-man avoidance 101 (not the movie itself)"...if you don't look "they" can't get you...all I can say is it has worked absolutely 100%...cuz I still here!

4 hours ago, odysea11 said:

I watch Creepshow (1982) every Halloween. Fun classic and not too crazy for the kiddos. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, odysea11 said:

Have you watched foreign horror flicks like Train to Busan?  There was "Ju On" (adapted as the Grudge in US),  IIRC there were 4 movies including prequel.  Also the Ring / "Ringu" and Audition.

Other than those, my list mainly consists of old stuffs like The Cabin in the Woods, the Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street series, Wishmaster, Alien, Scanners, Pet Sematary, IT (TV miniseries), IT part 1, the Wicker Man (original), John Carpenter's Vampires, Tucker & Dale vs Evil, Blade, From Dusk til Dawn, Ghostbusters & 2, Leprechaun, Phantasm.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, odysea11 said:

I grew up watching horror classics of the Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and so on era. Then there were the 80's, oh boy, was that the decade of horror. I suspect though you & your family may have already watched all of that and are looking forward to something somewhere within the past century at least. Haha.

I recall way back picking up a trilogy pack for a direct-to-video sorta series Scarecrow (2002). They are corny but good B-movie material with the first two being the best if I remember rightly. Another B-movie slasher coincidentally also from 2002 would be The Greenskeeper. Some of the kills were entertaining. Ha. In 2010 there was film about a sentient tire (named Robert) called Rubber. Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer from 2007 with Robert Englund was over the top dumb fun. There was a sequel I believe but I don't remember.

30 Days of Night (2007) was vampires in Alaska. Dog Soldiers (back to 2002) had some great werewolves. Perhaps not for the family but a side mention for The Tattooist (2007). Also not exactly full length feature films but the Masters of Horror series was two seasons worth of the masterful macabre.

• Like 1

Some that haven't been mentioned: I like the original version of The Eye (2000ish). It's standard but enjoyable.

There's always Hellraiser, but I watched it last year and don't think it holds up well.

Trick R Treat and Event Horizon are good, but you've probably seen those.

Plus one vote for Train to Busan - great movie.

Yay LEGO!

• Like 1

MAID on Netflix has some great acting with Margaret Qualley (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, she played the Foxy Manson girl, see clip)  and Andy MacDowell (Sex Lies and Videotape) playing mother & daughter which they are in real life. All kinds of trigger warnings for drugs, alcohol, abuse, mental health and more. 

• Like 2

I just finished squid games per my son’s recommendation. He’s 18 and said it’s all the rage at school. It was good. I liked the beginning and ending best. Middle was a bit predictable. I watched with the subtitles. Looking forward to season 2 assuming they make a season 2. 

and I’m halfway through Maid. It’s fantastic but depressing especially at the beginning. Shows a somewhat realistic representation about how the system can be challenging for some single mothers who are caught up in bad situations. 

Edited by Gonkalin

57 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

no mention of the Squid Game (currently #1 on Netflix)?

K-drama's adaptation of Hunger Games...I binged on squid past weekend.  And much like dry squid snacks...yummy but likely bad for you

I'm three episodes in.  I started watching Alice in Borderland earlier this year but stopped after a couple of episodes.  I think I'm liking Squid Games more.  No spoilers please, but would like to hear feedback comparing the two.

58 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

no mention of the Squid Game (currently #1 on Netflix)?

K-drama's adaptation of Hunger Games...I binged on squid past weekend.  And much like dry squid snacks...yummy but likely bad for you

Battle Royale adaptation is closer (which hunger games ripped off) 

Squid Game is ok. There is much better Korean stuff out there. Sky Castle is a killer drama. The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil is one of my favorite movies of the last 5 years. 

1 hour ago, marcandre said:

Battle Royale adaptation is closer (which hunger games ripped off) 

Squid Game is ok. There is much better Korean stuff out there. Sky Castle is a killer drama. The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil is one of my favorite movies of the last 5 years. 

I'm starting to worry that the world is going to have a warped view of Korean people w/ the prevalence of K-Drama

...but ofcourse it's not like I expect every Indian family to bust out with a Bollywood dance in the middle of their day either

29 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I'm starting to worry that the world is going to have a warped view of Korean people w/ the prevalence of K-Drama

...but ofcourse it's not like I expect every Indian family to bust out with a Bollywood dance in the middle of their day either

9C174D1F-6E34-4C7F-9E7E-E5048723E5C7.gif