2 Sets On The Fence....... Yay or Nay.

II would go either way for this descsion. It is a trade off. Either take the set with a low PPP ratio and a low CAGR, or take the set with a high PPP ratio and high CAGR.

For investing, I would have to go with the 21101. It has a CAGR of 31.75%.

For fun and building, I would go with the 10230 mini modulars. They have a CAGR of 15.26%.

I don't know how anyone could get a hold of the Hayabusa without paying through the nose for it first so your question ends up with only one answer; the Mini Modulars. To add, if it weren't for the CUUSOO relationship of the Hayabusa, I would go with the Mini Modulars anyway.

• Like 1

I had not realized that the Hayabusa was in fact listed at Shop-at-Home. It does say "Call to check product availability" though, but still I didn't think it was even available to begin with. I would rather go with the Mini Modulars as previously stated in the end. I'm not sure there is much novelty left in the Hayabusa besides the exclusive minifigure and CUUSOO name stamped across the box.

You can spend your hard earned money how you like but i for see these sets being a flop.

Hayabusa is a random Japanese satellite that did some testing on a astroid, we known but not famous like sputnik or hubble, i dont think many people will remember it or want a lego model of it.

Minimodulars imo is legos attempt to leech a few more bucks off of the sucess of the modular series. I feel like the only people buying this sets are investors who are assuming it will be worth more in the future just because its assosiated with the modular series.

There are many other sets out there that are near retirement, over looked and will have better returns. Most likely the first wave of LOTR as more sets and movies come out people will want the first wave to collect all their favorite characters and scenes. Another is the Kindgoms castle series, the joust is a fantastic set that many will want and epople usually by 2 at a time and place the sets back to back. Also chess sets are amazing for army building and the kingdoms series has some good looking minifigs, i think all chess sets have had great returns.

Minimodulars imo is legos attempt to leech a few more bucks off of the sucess of the modular series. I feel like the only people buying this sets are investors who are assuming it will be worth more in the future just because its assosiated with the modular series.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I believe mini modulars are the perfect standalone set. For starters, not everybody has the capital, space, or time to collect and build the regular modular sets. For $79 the mini modulars set is a fantastic gateway into the theme. Second, it is an incredibly fun/rewarding build, albeit frustrating at times. With a piece count well over 1000 (much of those being 1x1s), the builder is left feeling accomplished by the tedious task that they just performed. Third, the set looks absolutely stunning. It's amazing to see how the LEGO designers incorporated different bricks and pieces to create the overall aesthetic of the original sets on a micro scale. Fourth, I am willing to bet a weeks paycheck that LEGO will release a second one of these sets when it reaches the 10 total modulars mark (retiring this current model shortly before doing so). This coupled with the fact that it is a VIP exclusive have me believing that this is one of te greatest sleeper sets currently being produced.

This is exactly why these 2 sets have been sitting on my mind.

The overall consensus that the Hayabusa is not a winner may make it a winner (sleeper).
Just the contrarian side of me.
Its not a series, its just a singular item. 
Really, did anyone knew what Sungnyemum was?
There are many Japanese collectors.
The Hayabusa may be our Space Shuttle.

Same with Mini modular, Im not really sold on this concept & think its just "OK"
However, many people think its "Cute".

Finally, I think Im going to pass on both of these. 
For $50 Hayabusa.........I would rather get the Train Station Or Fun House.
For the $80 Mini Modular.......I would rather bump myself $20 and get the Sopwith.