Master Builder Academy - general discussion

Master Builders, unite!  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Master Builder Academy kits?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
  2. 2. Do you believe they could make good investments?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

The Brick Fan has posted a review of Kit 10 - Time Machine from the Invention Designer set.

It's a very thorough review with lots of images.

By the way, I have tried out the new Spoiler feature of the current forum setup in the top four main posts which should make loading up this topic very quickly for you by in a sense 'hiding' the posted images until you click on the "Show" button. Here's an example.

Made you look!

:laugh:

To close a Spoiler, just click the button again to "Hide" it.

I'm hoping this will cut down on some clutter and loading times as well as better organization in long posts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

..just got 20215 from LEGO Shop at Home...pretty sweet set....good selections of colors and brick types (4+), will be better close to 900-1000 pieces even for 90-95.00...love the booklets. Small cardboard section for small pieces - not good (supposed to hold it in place but its not) I taped it to a box....Big box great with good quality design....that why set cost 79.99 (60% of cost goes to booklets and box) LOL Spend an hours with my daughter...pretty fun. thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone is willing to help me get some of these to the UK for myself, I would be very grateful.  I think I can buy from US LEGO Shop at Home and ship to a US address, but not ship to the UK from there.  So I could buy the stuff and send to someone I trust to them ship onto me (tagged as a "gift" of course).  Or someone can just buy them and sell to me.  Or you can just buy them and sell on eBay and I will buy from you!  I think there's good opportunity to make money if you are in the US as there must be a lot of international folks wanting these who can't get them.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this thread because I managed to get a friend in the U.S. to buy the sets for me and ship over to the U.K.  It ended up costing me a fortune (expensive shipping, stupid UK customs charges), but, man, these sets are my pride and joy now.  They are sooooo well done.  Really feels like you're getting something special.  Each is a real collector's piece and a must-have for builders.  I'm going to work through the levels with my 6-year-old son.

If you are in the U.S., you owe it to yourself to pick up at least one of each of these.  If you buy in October, you'll have double VIP Points, so that's quite a deal.  If you wait til mid-October, then you can end up with a few of the bonus Christmas sets too.

Seriously, you need one of each of these, for yourself.  Then maybe a few more to resell, but that's your call!

Bumping this thread because I managed to get a friend in the U.S. to buy the sets for me and ship over to the U.K.  It ended up costing me a fortune (expensive shipping, stupid UK customs charges), but, man, these sets are my pride and joy now.  They are sooooo well done.  Really feels like you're getting something special.  Each is a real collector's piece and a must-have for builders.  I'm going to work through the levels with my 6-year-old son.

If you are in the U.S., you owe it to yourself to pick up at least one of each of these.  If you buy in October, you'll have double VIP Points, so that's quite a deal.  If you wait til mid-October, then you can end up with a few of the bonus Christmas sets too.

Seriously, you need one of each of these, for yourself.  Then maybe a few more to resell, but that's your call!

Now that you say that I am debating on getting a few. I just started collecting and is a poor college student so I don't have much money. But I do have a deal with my boyfriend (he lives in the UK and I live in the USA) that he will sell them for me in the UK. I guess only issue is space. I can't ask him to hold onto the boxes. But who knows when I have time to travel to the UK and bring a suitcase full of legos.

Now that you say that I am debating on getting a few. I just started collecting and is a poor college student so I don't have much money. But I do have a deal with my boyfriend (he lives in the UK and I live in the USA) that he will sell them for me in the UK. I guess only issue is space. I can't ask him to hold onto the boxes. But who knows when I have time to travel to the UK and bring a suitcase full of legos.

Now I've seen the sets and know how costly they are to import, I would think the best thing to do would be to ship the pieces and booklets over to him first (bearing in mind the value without the boxes is quite low, thereby reducing customs charges) or bring some with you when you travel to here.  And then when one sells, you can ship the boxes over separately.

I really don't think an open box will devalue this set much.  You can just snip the tape holding the lids down to do zero box damage.  And they are boxes like the Lego games, rather than normal sets, so the lid just lifts off instead of needing to punch the holes in the side to open.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw these at the Lego store last night but I'm not sure if I want to jump on them as their potential is relatively unknown.. Still. I guess I could sit on them for myself if they don't pan out... :)

Same. I'm only interested in the minifigs so I didn't jump at the chance when I saw them at the Calgary store. You can't order them on LEGO Shop at Home Canada, as I have tried just now. I'm not sure if that is permanent. If so I'd definitely buy them as this series might be exclusive to the US.

What do people think about the first wave investment potential? I did the subscription the first time around, so the part 1 came in a nice box, but the rest are just a booklet and big polybag. Maybe sell as a package?

I am not so sure about the investment potential of these sets. I think these sets are US exclusives. The theme is cool, but I am not sure about people wanting these sets in the future.

The entire Master Builder Academy is in fact a US exclusive theme. I've tried every region on the Lego webstore and nothing else works aside from the US. That exclusiveness and the quirky builds will give much strength to the themes possible potential. Besides, how many people have actually talked about these in general? A rather 'on the down low' investment.

• 1 month later...