What are your weirdest building habits?

ExoBro94

So I'm interested to see if anybody is brave enough to divulge their weirdest building habits/rituals to the community. I was building the Fire Brigade this morning when I got to thinking about this. For me, I make sure all of the brick studs with the tiny word "LEGO" molded onto it are facing the same way. I absolutely hate when the words are all jumbled together! So all bricks that go East/West I aim to the right, and North/South bricks I aim to the top of the base plates. 

Another weird habit of mine is that I spend an estimated 2-3 extra hours on any given set making sure all 1x1 tiles, studs, and bricks are perfectly lined up with the bricks below and above them. I ALSO HATE SEAMS IN MY BUILDS!

So, what are the weird things that all of you do?

:twitch:

I don't know if this is weird, but after opening the bag of new LEGO bricks, I usually rub them a little in-between my fingers to get rid of some of their shine. I also try to line up 1x1 pieces so that they are all straight, and if I feel like making the build last a long time then I make sure that all of the LEGO logos on the studs of the bricks face the same way. Extremely tedious work!

Funny thing is I have and still do the very things both of you just described. I always try and keep the "LEGO" logo on each brick in unison facing one direction if I can, and I must build the model per instructions at least once. (If it's a Creator set, I build all three designs over the course of the following days.)

Also, while were going on about OCD driven oddities, the thread title should be either "What are your weirdest building habits" or "What's your weirdest building habit". None of the other words should be capitalized after the first, either.

Yeah I know. :( I caught it about 5 minutes after I posted. I can't change it though! I was putting the finishing touches on FB and anytime I work on LEGO sets past 8pm after working at a Benjamin Moore store for 10 hours, my brain slowly starts to sizzle. 

Whoever changed it (OrcKing, I'm looking at you), YOU ROCK.

Funny thing is I have and still do the very things both of you just described. I always try and keep the "LEGO" logo on each brick in unison facing one direction if I can, and I must build the model per instructions at least once. (If it's a Creator set, I build all three designs over the course of the following days.)

I also never break down any set I build before at least a 5 year time span passes. 

Whoever changed it (OrcKing, I'm looking at you), YOU ROCK.

Guilty as charged. :whistle:

I also never break down any set I build before at least a 5 year time span passes.

I actually have had some builds sit on display for about this long although not neccessarily by choice. Funny how much dust one build can collect over time. Another OCD of mine would be when it comes time to take them apart and I need to sort out all the pieces into a bunch of different drawers.

I don't know if this counts as a "weird building" habit, but once a set is constructed, I don't like to display it for more than a few days, as I don't want dust getting on it. Shelf life for a set I build is usually about two weeks tops, I'll look at it once every couple days and if I begin to see signs of dust gathering, I'll tear the set down and put it back, and start building something else. 

I don't know if this counts as a "weird building" habit, but once a set is constructed, I don't like to display it for more than a few days, as I don't want dust getting on it. Shelf life for a set I build is usually about two weeks tops, I'll look at it once every couple days and if I begin to see signs of dust gathering, I'll tear the set down and put it back, and start building something else.

Wow, that is weird! I display every set I build and never take it apart. When I'm home from college, my mom likes that I do, considering I have to clean the house (and the mess I make as a college sophomore) to find new places to put them all.

Some of the 'habits' listed are funny...lots of effort, guess I don't build enough to really noticed the Lego logo or feel the need to have it a certain way.  Glad I don't have OCD :)   Took down my SW moc recently and little son helped with that.  Perfect timing before I begin on a LOTR/medieval theme...my Helms Deep should be arriving Wed :)  Luckily I have a decicated room for Lego so I/kids coming over can go get our building fix and it's not 'collecting dust' in main areas of the house.       

I hear ya JoshTX, dust is an absolute killer for me. I have started buying acrylic cases for the minifigures from The Container Store. If I can fit a vehicle/building in there than its a bonus. Just built the LOTR Pirate Ship and there are LOTS of nooks and crannies for dust to settle in, but tough finding an acrylic box for that or the Tower of Orthanc.

Sorry, off tangent with weird habits. Not sure i have any, but obviously I OCD over displaying it. Will try Daboios80's trick about keeping minifigs happy watching me build out their gear.

I build the minifigs first, then I stand them up at the edge of the table so they can watch me build their home/vehicle/battleground. They appreciate it, maybe :)

I actually do the same exact thing probably out of habit after doing it for many years. One time I couldn't get this one minifigure to stand up no matter what I did so I got a baseplate and put the minifigure on that. Dedication right there. ;)

• Like 1

I build the minifigs first, then I stand them up at the edge of the table so they can watch me build their home/vehicle/battleground. They appreciate it, maybe :)

When I build a Lego set, I make sure everything on the set is perfectly alligned. Every single brick of the set.

Ditto to both. Minifigures first, then the build aligning everything with absolute precision.

• 7 months later...

1) I'm old school, and numbered bags are for sissies.  I dump all the pieces out in a big pile.  I also don't sort anything.  The hunt for that last 1x1 round plate is part of the fun.

2) I build all the minifigs first, and add their accessories.  I stare at them for a few moments and bask in their awesomeness.

3) I set them on the table, they like to watch me build.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...