Will the Unimog keep its investment appeal?

M4x18

After reading the review form OrcKing's thread, I was wondering if Unimog 8110 was still an interesting choice from an investment standpoint as it will no longer be the largest Technic set out there once 42009 is released.

Besides being the current largest Technic set out there, is there another reason why Unimog can be a good investment? Do large Technic sets appreciate well over time? I guess that being a licensed Mercedes Benz set also kicks the value up a little bit.

Thoughts?

I really believe in the potential of this set, and once you take a look at some of the largest Technic sets and their performance over time you will understand why.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/sets.cfm?theme=91&sort=set_pieces&order=desc

You will notice that most large sets that have been retired so far have produced outstanding results, and even if this is only going to be the 2nd largest in the future, we are still talking about a pretty big set. As you also said, the Mercedes license can only help as well. I have the intention of doing a small blog article evaluating the performance of Technic sets, so I will know a little more by then.

I think the only dent in the Unimog's potential is that it's yet another Technic 4 wheel vehicle. There have been a LOT of trucks in the Technic line, I just hope collectors aren't burned out on them. That might be one of the reasons the excavator and crane are doing so well, there's really nothing else like them. Still, I'm confident the Unimog will see very good returns. In fact, I'm not not done buying them :) Come on, TRU bogo!

Yes it will do very well. See the recently retired 8043 Motorised Excavator or 8053 Mobile Crane as examples.

Technic does very well when retired.

The only problem with Unimog is most people (in US) do not know what the heck that is.  We are familiar with Excavator and Mobile Crane, but I bet average people have never seen a Unimog in real life.

• Like 1

The only problem with Unimog is most people (in US) do not know what the heck that is. We are familiar with Excavator and Mobile Crane, but I bet average people have never seen a Unimog in real life.

I agree with this. When I first heard of the Unimog I had to look it up so I could see what it was/looked like. I bet many other people in the U.S. are in the same boat as me concerning the Unimog.

I picked one up in case it becomes a hit, but if not, I'm sure I'll enjoy the hell out of building it.  I had to look it up too...but after reading about it I've realized that it's a pretty iconic truck with a long history.  I can imagine this being worth a lot more overseas, but we'll see!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it will do very well. See the recently retired 8043 Motorised Excavator or 8053 Mobile Crane as examples.

Technic does very well when retired.

So when you say that you mean if you don't build it right?

Not sure I can buy the Unimog and not build it :'(. 

Is there some profit to make anyway after retirement?

Sure you can make a profit on a used set. Just make sure you keep the instructions in good shape, and you might want to keep the box. The used values for most Technic sets is pretty close to new values, especially for popular sets like the Unimog. Plus, you get to play with it, and it'll be easier to sell when you're ready. In Lego, a used set will almost always sell faster than a new set that's priced 10-20% higher.