Google Nexus 7 Tablet

Jeff Mack

Just wondering if there are any big Android users out there that have used this new Nexus 7 tablet and if it's any good.

Two reasons. It looks like it has some decent features for a good price, especially the 8GB version. The other is I wonder if it is something people are going to buy and use as I continue to build the mobile/tablet app for BrickPicker.

Jeff - I typically only buy technology with a little Apple on it, so I'm unaware on the Nexus. However, I was going to ask if BP.com was ever going to have a mobile app.

Great news and good luck!

If you want to port it over to xCode...feel free :)

I am primarily a Mac guy myself. I have too much gear actually. I work on a 27" iMac, have a new Macbook Pro (sadly two weeks before the new Retina Displays came out). Still have a first generation iPad and for what my wife and I use it for it works fine. And I have a iPhone 4s. I am excited to try the new Windows 8 and see how that is and in general I love to use any type of technology.

This Nexus 7 looks like a good device, first decent iPad alternative, but we will see. The price is right, but it may be a piece of junk too. I know I need to cover the Android phones, since there is a massive install base, I was just curious to see if people have been waiting for this tablet or just forget it and concentrate on iPad only.

I think a mobile version of the site would be excellent. An app would also be incredible. Back home in Venezuela, Blackberrys were almost on everyone's pockets until 2012. Since January two big mobile operators started offering iPhones, also the Android phones made their breakthrough and we have a more or less even playing field over there. Here in Spain I'd say that everyone has smartphones, being Android-based phones and iPhones the ones leading the charge. Regarding tablets, I've seen some on the subway, but in very small numbers and also, very evenly distributed among iPads and Android's. And I think that this applies to most of Europe. Developing an app would be fantastic, it'd be even better if it was made for both platforms, and a mobile site would also be lovely for owners of not-so-smartphones (as my Blackberry).

Jeff the nexus 7 is a quality tablet for the money and it is made by ASUS who is second to none when it comes to customer service. The benefits of owning a nexus device is that it is directly supported by Google so it will get all the major updates in a timely manner. If you do get a nexus 7 just know that its only 50 more bucks for the 16gb version which is still a pretty good deal. Have you looked into a 10 inch android tablet? They are considerably more but IMO totally worth it. I have the Asus transformer prime and I absolutely love it! A good one will set you back between 4-5 hundred bucks though. Samsung makes some great 10 inch Android tablets as well.

I have used my Nexus 7 for about a week. I love it. I love the 7" form factor the most. I have not been very impressed with Android in the past, but the N7 comes with the new Jelly Bean OS. Jelly Bean is very responsive and stable. At the $200 price point and good reviews, I see it doing well. This is all coming from someone who has had an iPad v1 since launch and I upgraded to the iPad v3 when it came out. I still enjoy my iPads, but I find myself using the N7 more lately.

I have used my Nexus 7 for about a week. I love it. I love the 7" form factor the most. I have not been very impressed with Android in the past, but the N7 comes with the new Jelly Bean OS. Jelly Bean is very responsive and stable. At the $200 price point and good reviews, I see it doing well. This is all coming from someone who has had an iPad v1 since launch and I upgraded to the iPad v3 when it came out. I still enjoy my iPads, but I find myself using the N7 more lately.

I see you have an XBOX avatar...Do you play Battlefield?