Pre-sorting vs One big pile

Grolim

To sort or not to sort that is the question...  

49 members have voted

1. 1. How do you sort a set before building?

• Leave it in one big pile
    • Sort it by color
    • Sort it by piece type
    • Sort it by piece type and color
    • Just take out some of the big bits first
    • Sort it by size
    • Other (please enlighten us)

I have only been back for a short time, but when I was younger I would dump everything in one big pile.  When I did the Mountain Hut I did the same thing.  However, when I built the ECTO-1 this weekend, I found that it was easier to pour out each bag in it's own pile.  It made finding multiples of the same pieces easier for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was opening the bags and putting each bag in different sistema container but now I open all the bag(except the ones with the tiny pieces) and pour into my lego head and shake till all the small and medium stuff falls to the middle and bottom, then I open the tiny ones and put them in the very bottom container.

This past weekend I did my first full deconstruction.  I used to only take models apart enough to fit in storage containers, for this one (Mountain Hut) I totally took it apart to build one of the other models in the set (3 in 1).  As I took the Hut apart I put everything in piles by color, this made the rebuild much easier.  I don't know if I will do this for future out of the box builds.  I guess we'll see. 

I have a question about sorting through a bull lot that you purchase. I just purchased a bulk lot of 5 sets off ebay. The listing states that I will have to sort through the pieces to match them to their set. Anyone have a recommendation for this? First bulk lot I've purchased. Just trying to figure how to go about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I have a question about sorting through a bull lot that you purchase. I just purchased a bulk lot of 5 sets off ebay. The listing states that I will have to sort through the pieces to match them to their set. Anyone have a recommendation for this? First bulk lot I've purchased. Just trying to figure how to go about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I've been doing this a lot lately - I've got about 20 sets that I'm trying to put together right now, based on what should be in my bulk lot.

To me, here's my process:

1. Sort out the bulk lot into color.

2. Print off the inventory from Bricklink.

3. Pull out the bricks for each set by color.

4. Place them in separate bags.

5. Figure out what's missing (there's always missing pieces).

6. Order from Bricklink.

7. Put together!

• Like 2

I've been doing this a lot lately - I've got about 20 sets that I'm trying to put together right now, based on what should be in my bulk lot.

6. Order from Bricklink.

7. Put together!

Almost exactly what I do. Depending on the size of the bulk lot, you may want to sort each color further by separating each color into categories such as plates, bricks, etc. etc. That helps a lot when you have to go through a lot of Lego.

• 4 weeks later...

6. Order from Bricklink.

7. Put together!

Thanks for the tips.  I will probably do this as I go through my old sets over the next few weeks.