Mega Bloks - Despicable Me

schmidtywerben

Was at Target and they were selling "Fuzzy Pink Ponies" or something. It was the stuffed animal that one of the kids was holding their breath until they got it. Yup, that one. I heard 5 kids walk up to it and shake it yelling "It's so fuzzy!!!!!!!!!!!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SI6rhotAkE

She was cutest thing in the whole movie.

"Does this count as annoying?" :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JULHFXKZ4c0

• 9 months later...

I do not know if this is true yet, but Brickultra just announced that LEGO was looking to acquire the Despicable Me" license.  Here's what they say:

A new rumor around the LEGO community is that LEGO is seeking to acquire the building toy license for the animated films

Could be a good movie tie in like the LEGO movie sets, only difference is that it appeals to a different crowd. If you like TLM, you most likely like LEGO, and if you like DM, might not even know what LEGO is, but I digress.

If LEGO does get the license, I'ld probably see if I can get a set of all the main characters and a few of each Minion, loved the movies. Hopefully it won't be as short lived, look at the Lone Ranger, popular source material, mediocre new movie, and people lost interest in the theme very quickly, but it all depends on what the third movie can do, and what it accomplishes as a whole.

I don't know...just some feeling about the source material itself makes me think back to the problematic Disney LEGO themes, like Toy Story. Despicable Me isn't a movie series that makes me feel like there's great potential in marketing it as a new theme. Certainly, the zaniness of the Minions offers a huge range of playability options in playsets (Gru's Laboratory, other schenanigans), but I feel like that kind of playability would be better marketed as a different homegrown theme by TLG.

There's the point Stevenplays brought up about audiences, and even if there was a LEGO tie-in into the movie, I still don't think that's something that would draw the Despicable Me audience towards purchasing LEGO. Again, thinking back to Toy Story. Quick flips are certainly an option, definitely not long term.

Then again, it would also depends on how well the minifigures themselves are designed too, although I have no idea how Gru's triangle shaped body or the stubby little Minions would translate...

There was the mcd happy meal minion toy craze when the 2nd movie came out so minions in lego form will probably be a hit.

By "craze" do you mean eBay/selling/demand craze? I didn't know McDonald's toys even HAD quick flip potential...

Lego Minions!!! Cool!

But I agree, I don't think this theme has any investment potential. It will perform similarly to Toy Story.

But while its available, and if it is released to con-incide with the next movie, it could be a short term money spinner for TLG.

Yep, on ebay and craigslist. There were certain ones that were two exclusive to north america and others that were exclusive internationally.

Someone in my city bought the entire box of the two exclusives and were selling them for $10 ea. I myself only had a handful (like 7 maybe?) but made a nice tidy profit. I helped my sister sell her set of 8 for $65 - not bad for paying $16!

By "craze" do you mean eBay/selling/demand craze? I didn't know McDonald's toys even HAD quick flip potential...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...