The One(s) That Got Away

OK, we all have stories of being in the store or having orders ready to go and then changing our minds. Or we sold one too soon that turned out to be a big winner. Not just, I wish I would have bought 100 UCS Falcons, but I had the box in my hand and decided not to buy. What's the big fish that you didn't reel in? I'm relatively new to the game, so my worst isn't that bad. Around Christmas, Barnes and Noble was running an instore 50% off sale on all toys, including Lego. I should have gone in and cleaned the place out, then gone to the other ones around town and cleaned them out. But I was super low on funding at the time so I only picked up a 4841 Hogwarts Express when I could have had 10 of them. Worst part is, I flipped it immediately and only ended up making about $50 on the deal.

Man there has been so many. I have a new motto when I buy Lego; "Why buy one, when you can buy two?". That being said, I either own one of the ones that I'll mention (personal collection) or I passed at the time.

I own one but none to sell:

UCS Falcon

Grand Carousel

Green Grocer (who could have seen this one coming?)

Jabba's Sail Barge (Just bought one on eBay for 170)

UCS Star Destroyer

The ones that I don't even own but wish I would have bought one when they were available:

Taj Mahal

Pirates Imperial Flagship

Anything Batman from the first release. Uh.. Alfred Minifig anyone?

Now for the ones that WILL NOT get away!:

Tower Bridge

Sopwith Camel

Haunted House

Fire Brigade

Grand Emporium

Pet Shop

UCS Imperial Shuttle

UCS R2-D2

Anything Star Wars (duh)

There are so many sets I should've/could've picked up in bulk at huge discounts and didn't. Most of them I didn't know it would be a good idea nor did I have the money at the time to do it, but one of my most recent regrets was Black Friday of 2005 or 2006 , I can't remember anymore which it was. Target had the 4504 Falcon at 50% off, $49.99. Right around this time I started to realize there could be money in buying and selling sealed sets, so this deal got me started. It was also my first Black Friday experience so even though the stores opened at 5:00am or whatever it was (nothing like the midnight it is now), I didn't show up to my local Target until around 10:30am. At that time, they had about 5 on the regular shelf and 12-15 on the top shelf. I just grabbed the 5 on the regular shelf thinking it must not be that great of a deal if that many were still remaining that late in the day. I drove away, got about 3 miles away and thought I may as well go back and get the rest of them, worst case I could return them if needed. By the time I got back, no more than 20 minutes later, the other 12-15 had all been purchased. I was so mad at myself. So then I went ahead and hit up a few more Targets and I was able to grab about 8 or 9 more. I thought I was so smart when I was selling them for $100-125! Still have a couple left, but I sure wish I would've bought every one I saw that day! I was thinking a fun article would be about the various sales I've seen over the years. Maybe I'm a little weird, but I think it's fun to see the sale prices that I've gotten and missed over the years. I still have all the receipts from every LEGO set purchase I've made, so the article would have lots of pics. There are plenty of other sales I've missed out on and know about, but I like to see evidence that it actually happened!

I was thinking a fun article would be about the various sales I've seen over the years. Maybe I'm a little weird, but I think it's fun to see the sale prices that I've gotten and missed over the years. I still have all the receipts from every LEGO set purchase I've made, so the article would have lots of pics. There are plenty of other sales I've missed out on and know about, but I like to see evidence that it actually happened!

I think that would be a great article...People love to see deals and that they are actually real and that the deals are not BS. It would show that there are killer deals for LEGO investors if you put some effort into finding them!

I think that would be a great article...People love to see deals and that they are actually real and that the deals are not BS. It would show that there are killer deals for LEGO investors if you put some effort into finding them!

'Tis the season in my opinion. Stores are clearing shelve space for new sets and passing the savings to us. A walmart near me had an abundance of POTC, Cars 2 and Alien Conquest. It's at 30% down but I expect the bottom to fall out any day now.

As for the original question, besides the one 10179 Millennium Falcon that my wife told me to NOT BUY, I lost out on a second 10179. There was a "Buy it Now" on EBAY for a MISB 10179 for $800 about a year or so ago. It was a scam. I passed on similar 10179s and auctions to save $50 on this set. By the time I had my money refunded for this set from EBAY, I moved onto other sets that were just repeats of what I already had. I wish I would have spent the extra $50 and bought the set from a reputable seller. Idiot!

As for the original question, besides the one 10179 Millennium Falcon that my wife told me to NOT BUY, I lost out on a second 10179. There was a "Buy it Now" on EBAY for a MISB 10179 for $800 about a year or so ago. It was a scam. I passed on similar 10179s and auctions to save $50 on this set. By the time I had my money refunded for this set from EBAY, I moved onto other sets that were just repeats of what I already had. I wish I would have spent the extra $50 and bought the set from a reputable seller. Idiot!

I got my 10179 as a gift from my wife and we're both kicking ourselves for not buying 1 more. In fact, she said to me at the time "We should get another one and not open it.". DOH!!!! Taj Mahal, we both were thinking as collectors and not investors at the time. It's HUGE and requires the same footprint as the Falcon so we passed. Not this time.

I got my 10179 as a gift from my wife and we're both kicking ourselves for not buying 1 more. In fact, she said to me at the time "We should get another one and not open it.". DOH!!!! Taj Mahal, we both were thinking as collectors and not investors at the time. It's HUGE and requires the same footprint as the Falcon so we passed. Not this time.

Same here...When I first came out of my "Dark Ages," I just wanted to collect all the UCS sets for my office at work. I could have bought 10 or more 10179 Falcons for $400 a piece if i wanted, but I really didn't know these sets would appreciate. It was only after the birth of my son and a two year hiatus away from collecting did it dawn upon me that there was money to be made with buying and selling retired LEGO sets. That was also the same time when Jeff and I came up with the Brickpicker idea.

At least I bought enough quality sets early on to make a profit today if I decided to sell. That's my problem though, I don't sell them. I keep every damn one!

Here is a good one....well not really good, when the UCS Xwing came out in 2000 or so I picked it up at walmart for around 129.00 i think. Well anyways at the time I wasnt into lego at all, couldnt even tell you why I bought the thing. I brought it home and started to build it, 1\2 hour into it I got so frustrated and threw it in the garbage, it was never to be seen again. I cant make this stuff up!! I dare someone to tell a true story with that much stupidity involved. Please dont banish me from this site lol

Here is a good one....well not really good, when the UCS Xwing came out in 2000 or so I picked it up at walmart for around 129.00 i think. Well anyways at the time I wasnt into lego at all, couldnt even tell you why I bought the thing. I brought it home and started to build it, 1\2 hour into it I got so frustrated and threw it in the garbage, it was never to be seen again. I cant make this stuff up!! I dare someone to tell a true story with that much stupidity involved. Please dont banish me from this site lol

That's OK, I bought Jeff the 7181 UCS TIE Interceptor for his birthday years ago and that ended up in the trash too. ;-) Funny, at the time I thought the TIE Interceptor was cooler than the 7191 X-Wing and that's why I bought it. I guess it's the Sith in me...

They are out there, you just have to be willing to pay $325+ for one.

I know! I want it for less than $300 xD

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=2&toolid=10041&campid=5337057111&customid=setsEBAY-US&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&item=251136999639

I got that one already covered, contacted the seller and requested the pics with his username as he has 0 feedback. He said he'd list 15-20 more items.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=2&toolid=10041&campid=5337057111&customid=setsEBAY-US&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&item=251136999639

I got that one already covered, contacted the seller and requested the pics with his username as he has 0 feedback. He said he'd list 15-20 more items.

The listing looks legit.

The listing looks legit.

Indeed! Already sent messages to the seller, he's obviously never used eBay before. Has listed some very interesting items.

I haven't been collecting for a long time, 3 months tops, but I can't get a 7676

I've scored two 7676 second hand in bulk bundles - 1 almost complete, the second one about 60% complete ... is it a sin to be thinking of using that one for parts... I've already sold the other one - went for 119.00 on ebay . My hubby wanted to keep the Millenium falcon that we got in the same bundle but i insisted on selling (and I'm the collector not him...but you all know my thoughts on star wars) he still breaks into a cold sweat because it ended up only going for 89 bucks. The kid I bought it from originally had drilled (yes ... drilled!?!?) through c3po's torso and some of the grey pieces that were not visible on the ship were not the same as its original grey so i think 89 was reasonable for it. I still have a bwing and arc fighter (i think thats what they are called) 97 % complete to list plus some odd bits and pieces. I see the sets i sell as a contribution to getting the sets i want - if it was part of a bulk lot, and i don't want it, i don't care what i get for it (within reason LOL).

In terms of my ones that got away.... i desperately wanted Fort Legorado when it was re-released one random time in target here - i got to my local store shortly after opening and they were sold out... gutted. I drove to 3 different targets in one day for the R2D2 for my god son and all 3 had sold out in 20 minutes of opening, the online toy sales had crashed but one good side to my bub waking at 2am for a feed - managed to get onto the online shop and order one before they sold out... I have instructed his mother he is not to play with it but i think a bit too much to expect him not to open it so I am building him a perspex case to go with it... lol !