Question regarding Target price matching

Coneil21

Has anyone ever been denied a price match at Target bc the ORIGINAL PRICE of the item at both stores didnt match?

I just was but as far as i read that requirement is listed no where in the policy, its never been an issue before, and it makes no sense as the prices are rarely the same. Soooooooo frustrating!

Every Target seems to be different here.  My wife does a lot of couponing and each store will do different things.  We avoid elderly female cashiers because they are the most picky and difficult to work with.  We try to go to the young male cashiers (between 18 and 20) because they don't give a crap and will make things work to avoid conflict. :thumbsup:

Has anyone ever been denied a price match at Target bc the ORIGINAL PRICE of the item at both stores didnt match?

I just was but as far as i read that requirement is listed no where in the policy, its never been an issue before, and it makes no sense as the prices are rarely the same. Soooooooo frustrating!

Just because Target put in place its holiday price match policy year round, doesn't mean the local stores like it. My Target doesn't advertise the feature at all, and even if you ask about price matching, they will still tell you it has to be from a local print ad, quoting their former policy.

You have to talk to the right person, but I would also be armed with their own policy bookmarked on your smartphone, tablet, etc.

I have only had to pull it up once, but I have had to get managers multiple times. It may be that the policy is slowly filtering down the command chain.

Here is the link to their policy available from their own site: https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/our-low-price-promise#q4070

That's weird that they insist it be a printed ad b/c they have ipads specifically for price matching...  they go to the websites to make sure the price you are quoting is actually correct.  (I did price matching at four stores last night to take advantage of the fire plane.) 

If they are saying the original prices have to be the same, that is the dumbest thing I have heard.

We avoid elderly female cashiers because they are the most picky and difficult to work with.  We try to go to the young male cashiers (between 18 and 20) because they don't give a crap and will make things work to avoid conflict. :thumbsup:

I agree. My local Target store has a policy that the price can only be matched using their customer service iPad. They will insist on using their own Target iPad, even if I have the sale pulled up on my own device. :logik:  I guess I can see why they have this policy, but it has led to a few frustrating experiences when the customer service rep was an older person.

Did they really deny matching the price b/c the ORIGINAL price was different?  I would send a note to their home office.  I would send it and tell them you want 5.

This is absurdly ridiculous. Why make a store offer but not honor it? I haven't had any kind of problems like what you guys are going through which makes me even more pissed off you are. I can only imagine some of those employees just aren't 'in the mood' to deal with price matching. Yeah, and if they keep that attitude up how much longer will they keep their job? I realize it isn't a dream job but still is what they are getting paid for.

It may be that the policy is slowly filtering down the command chain.

That could be the real overall reason for this technique of defaulting back to the old price matching standard. I must say, if Target wants to beat Walmart, they need to get on with their own program. I have been practically buying all my stuff at Target because of the year round price matching. If Walmart did the same online price matching, they would have a good amount of my business I tell you what. (I would still like Target better.)

So I had trouble letting this level of incompetence slide. It took a few phone calls but I finally managed to get the price match applied retroactively. Picked up my $19.99 Fire Plane tonight. Probably not worth my time and energy, but I guess it was a principle thing with me. If they are going to attract customers via a price match policy they should at least know how to apply it!

• Like 2

So I had trouble letting this level of incompetence slide. It took a few phone calls but I finally managed to get the price match applied retroactively. Picked up my $19.99 Fire Plane tonight. Probably not worth my time and energy, but I guess it was a principle thing with me. If they are going to attract customers via a price match policy they should at least know how to apply it!

Good job sticking to your guns.

Way to go! My wife is way better at complaining and getting things corrected than me but I would have been calling Target corporate from the CS desk just to stick it to them. I worked at Lowes Home Improvement in CS and we knew our policies. Target is a great company and should sticking to their policies too.

• 3 months later...

The policy never mentioned price match between Target locations. Is it between Targets or a different retailer? That's a little bizarre to me.

Target price matching is really YMMV, completely up to the associate you deal with.    Few days ago I was successfully price matched a Batcave against their online price of $49 (It was OOS online).   The next day I went back to the same store to try to price match another Batcave.  I got a different associate than a day before, and she refused to do price match because it was OOS online.   For a few dollars difference I didn't bother to argue, I ended up returning the set and left.

I got this too Kenchu. I bought some items every day this week. I could have loaded up Sunday morning with the cool SuperHero sales and wiped em clean, but I dont want bad karma so i never take the last one or more than 50%of whats on the shelf.

My target has been restocked three times this week and each day (since i shop fir groceries there almost daily) i buy only 2 or 3 small kits on each trip so as to leave some for other customers until its restocked in a day. But i price match them to the online price of course which saves me another 10% and means using the service desk.

This is a bit of WORK for a manager i guess, sometimes to do only a few at a time each day and eating 3min of their time. Perhaps they have been irked that this is my 4th time doing it this week. So they noted today: "we'll do it this once but just so you know if its OOS online then we wont price match"

I nodded. But was in awe. My RedCard is nearly maxxed out from shopping there each month (2K$) from food to baby diapers and beyond. And they see my family often.

Is this just pushing me to be a Steve Martin JERK and wipe out the shelf of sale items Sunday morning? Or give my business to a different Target store?

I always give a 10 on the survey for svc desk remarks. I will probably just not rate it anymore.

On the other hand, i found this to be a laughably ridiculous substitution.

Galaxy Squad Bug Obliviator?! :rofl::laugh: I am laughing so f'ing hard at this! Phew....

Well, first time I ever saw a substitute tag was some months ago and there was no sale difference. I think it said Forest Police Station was out so substitute it with Bug Obliterator for $79.99. I s**t you not, there was no better deal offered at all. What a farce.... :mda: Didn't matter anyway since I ended up finding that set for $57 at Walmart later on so it's all good.

A recent trip to Target I found Battle at the Black Gate for $47 substituting the Batcave but I already had money spent elsewhere so no go for me. Hmm, perhaps I should have anyway but I need something left in case Kmart goes half off next week.