Buying in Bulk Tips/Advice/Thoughts?

And yep........I will NEVER do this again. Never. Burrow 100% but half figures...castle maybe 80%, not done..but missing more than thought. Took my wife (mostly) and I (maybe 10% of work) about 8 hours to color sort...so close to 10hrs of sorting...another 3 of frustrating building due to missing parts and huge piles to search. If you have more luck/skill than I do..I can see this being a worthy venture..barely. For me, with more free cash than free time...I'll spend the extra hundred next time and by 100% complete used or new sealed. Our time is worth close to triple the $10 an hour we saved..according to our day jobs.

Although....I said I would never shop walgret clearance lego again...and here I sit..surrounded by half off lego boxes. Containing New and complete sets. And probably not too much broken glass, sunflower seeds, peach pits, staples, paperclip, used bandaids and (used) gum wrappers.

And yep........I will NEVER do this again. Never. Burrow 100% but half figures...castle maybe 80%, not done..but missing more than thought. Took my wife (mostly) and I (maybe 10% of work) about 8 hours to color sort...so close to 10hrs of sorting...another 3 of frustrating building due to missing parts and huge piles to search. If you have more luck/skill than I do..I can see this being a worthy venture..barely. For me, with more free cash than free time...I'll spend the extra hundred next time and by 100% complete used or new sealed. Our time is worth close to triple the $10 an hour we saved..according to our day jobs.

Although....I said I would never shop walgret clearance lego again...and here I sit..surrounded by half off lego boxes. Containing New and complete sets. And probably not too much broken glass, sunflower seeds, peach pits, staples, paperclip, used bandaids and (used) gum wrappers.

Its kind've my problem too. I lost 4 hours today to sorting two large sets and am only missing 10 pieces. But thats still rough because now I have to decide what to do for those 10 pieces.

Its kind've my problem too. I lost 4 hours today to sorting two large sets and am only missing 10 pieces. But thats still rough because now I have to decide what to do for those 10 pieces.

What are you missing? I have probably got 65-70lbs of loose bricks, a decent amount of randomness from all themes right now...

I would suggest asking if the bulk lot is GENUINE Lego, or other types of bricks mixed in as well. Nothing more annoying than buying a bulk lot of lego only to find a large chunk of it is inferior blocks.

I just tackled this problem today on a bulk lot I bought. Mega bloks, tyco, and some extremely tiny blocks that look like colored grains of sand. Anyone know what those are?

Sorry...no question...can someone please merge with the others bulk LOT buying thread?

No worries.  I've merged the latest 2 Bulk buying threads into this earlier one with a nice title and some decent initial discussion.  Hope that works for everyone.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/tag/3987217889.html

Hmm...just when I said I would never buy a mixed bulk lot again! Wanted 600 Talked himself down to 500 or best offer in email when I said that was way too much. I don't think I am going to bother...but nice builder lot for kids---which would be my only interest. See nothing investment worthy at all