Well, I am too gullible, got scammed

Well, I thought on found a good deal on the 10179 set from craigslist. The person was selling the set for $800. Thought this was a reasonable price. Not really a crazy price. Still a real good deal though. Anyway, the catch was the person could only accept money pak order. You buy the card, put money on it and upload it to a debit card. Of course I thought this was sketchy. So I asked her why she doesn't have paypal. Her response was her late husband screwed up their paypal account and couldn't get a new one. I told her I still do not feel safe and she said that she would give me her debit card number to show that she wouldn't rip me off. I basically talked her down to $500 for the set and she gave me her debit card number. I paid her and couple days later she gave me a tracking number that isn't working. I get the error "Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office". Anyway, it has been a week and a half and still nothing. Doing some detective work, I sent her an email from another one of my email accounts asking her if the set was still available. Her response was "I do have another set available". Who has 2 of these sets? I called her phone number she gave me and that gives me a message that the owner doesn't have her voice mail setup yet. Her phone number and area code she gave me coincide with Oil City, PA. Basically where she said she lived. So brickpicker community, what should my next step be? Do I go ahead and call the Oil City police department. I still have her number (course it doesn't work right now) and her debit card. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, here is the link to the add: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tag/3133123515.html

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess not, you couldve at least ask for the card pic, by using her card number you can find what type of card she has (by going to any website, choose to buy something, input her digits, and the website should tell you what type of card it is - either visa, mastercard, americanexpress, discovery - than i would call one of this corporations to see what they can help me with). Contact MoneyPak - ask them to suggest what you should do (i know that they will not be responsible for the money, it states clearly on their website - not to transfer money to classified listings). good luck

Oh boy...Didn't you read my blogs about scams? LOL

You have a mess on your hands. Go to the police. The are quite experienced with internet theft. In most states, theft $500 or more is a felony, so it is quite serious and they should take you serious. Get all your information together and go to the police. Jot the information down in a time line to help explain your story.

At $800 for a new 10179 is a deal of the century. They are now consistently selling for over $2000 for a new set. These crooks know exactly what they cost and what kind of price they can sucker a LEGO collector in for quickly. You are probably not alone. She has probably done it more than once. Her debit card is probably deactivated also. She made some quick cash and moved on. Good luck.

Just remember one thing in life...If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!!!

I wouldn't wait any more time. Unfortunately, I don't think much is going to be able to be done about this but the sooner you get started the better. This is without a doubt a scam and all the info you have on her is most likely inaccurate. Not to pour on to you, but hopefully to help others avoid this type of thing, everything about this transaction screams scam. Anyone sitting on sealed LEGO sets for a couple years knows what they are worth and they certainly wouldn't be willing to let a very popular set go for original retail when even if they just wanted to sell it quickly they could list it BIN on eBay for $1500 and it would sell within an hour. Just out of morbid curiosity, I guess, why does the posting say that the item is in Virginia if she lives in Pennsylvania?

I wouldn't wait any more time. Unfortunately, I don't think much is going to be able to be done about this but the sooner you get started the better. This is without a doubt a scam and all the info you have on her is most likely inaccurate. Not to pour on to you, but hopefully to help others avoid this type of thing, everything about this transaction screams scam. Anyone sitting on sealed LEGO sets for a couple years knows what they are worth and they certainly wouldn't be willing to let a very popular set go for original retail when even if they just wanted to sell it quickly they could list it BIN on eBay for $1500 and it would sell within an hour. Just out of morbid curiosity, I guess, why does the posting say that the item is in Virginia if she lives in Pennsylvania?

Not totally sure. Cl add is from Pittsburgh too. Who knows at this point. I f-up good.

Not totally sure. Cl add is from Pittsburgh too. Who knows at this point. I f-up good.

You can pretty much be assured anything she sent and told you was wrong. These people are experts at deception. Go to your local police and report the issue and report the issue to Craigslist so they can stop further abuse by the seller.

This kind of theft is becoming more and more frequent. The bottom line is that people need to realize there are no "great" deals like this anymore. It takes about 2 minutes on the internet to find the value of a LEGO set and any person with one of these sets most likely has access to the internet. Keep us informed. You will help educate the rest of the members.

Pretty sure the local police cannot do anything. I plan on calling moneypak and then go through the channels for the Internet Crime Complaint Center. Maybe they can help some. I am going to try to get some more info from her. Her zip, ip address, and phone number (probably fake) all return a location around Oil City, PA.

Pretty sure the local police cannot do anything. I plan on calling moneypak and then go through the channels for the Internet Crime Complaint Center. Maybe they can help some. I am going to try to get some more info from her. Her zip, ip address, and phone number (probably fake) all return a location around Oil City, PA.

Local Police can help. Half of their work is internet related in decent sized towns.

My town is real small. Might try to contact Oil City police department. Well, I emailed her using a different address and I am trying to get more information from her. She gave me an address 68 rockwood ave oil city. What else should I ask for? I guess another tip off is that her email addy is an aol address. Who uses an aol addy anymore? She is still contacting me via my original email address. She said she is going to make an insurance claim. Anyway I can get her to prove this?

Small update

Posing as someone else interested in the sets, I asked if she had still both sets. She responded with sorry already sold one. I find that strange. I will give her a day or two then try to contact her local police department.

When did you send the money to her and how was she supposed to send it to you?

She said August 4th via usps. I know mail can get lost but something this big, probably not. All I can tell is she has her story straight between my two email addys. Definitely rehearsed. Just find it funny that she said she sold one set and all of her information she gave both email addys coincide with each other. If she scammed me, shouldn't she just start ignoring my emails? I am basically waiting for her to come out and say "I SCREWED YOU!" The worst part is that there is probably nothing the authorities can do.

She said August 4th via usps. I know mail can get lost but something this big, probably not. All I can tell is she has her story straight between my two email addys. Definitely rehearsed. Just find it funny that she said she sold one set and all of her information she gave both email addys coincide with each other. If she scammed me, shouldn't she just start ignoring my emails? I am basically waiting for her to come out and say "I SCREWED YOU!"

The worst part is that there is probably nothing the authorities can do.

Well, I'm unfamiliar with the Money Pack. Do you send it to a person's bank account? She is waiting for another sucker is the reason she responds to you. She wants you to believe that nothing is wrong. Ask her to send the second one in exchange. You really need to contact the detectives of the town you believe she lives in before it is too late.

Well, I'm unfamiliar with the Money Pack. Do you send it to a person's bank account? She is waiting for another sucker is the reason she responds to you. She wants you to believe that nothing is wrong. Ask her to send the second one in exchange. You really need to contact the detectives of the town you believe she lives in before it is too late.

You basically use it to upload money to a debit card or paypal with it. I plan to call her local police tomorrow.

I think you really need to invest some time and at least report this to the local police in Oil City, while there is still an active lead. You can have an officer call this woman. I know they don't want to always get involved in a situation like this, but is could be a Felony matter. At least the Police can get her information for a future small claims case if need be.

I am assuming her name is fake and the phone number doesn't accept phone calls. Not sure what I would tell the police. I am sure she is going to tell me that she filed a insurance claim and it will take sometime to process. I still have her on the hook with my other fake identity too, so I think I have a couple days at least. My plan is to make a phone call to the Pittsburgh FBI division and Oil City department Monday. What about the debit card number? If I get another one from her, can that be traced?

I am assuming her name is fake and the phone number doesn't accept phone calls. Not sure what I would tell the police. I am sure she is going to tell me that she filed a insurance claim and it will take sometime to process. I still have her on the hook with my other fake identity too, so I think I have a couple days at least. My plan is to make a phone call to the Pittsburgh FBI division and Oil City department Monday.

What about the debit card number? If I get another one from her, can that be traced?

At this point, let the Police handle it. Let them do the work. Just tell them your story. This is a very common crime.